Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Advice requested: damaged '04... fix it, sell it, part-it-out?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice requested: damaged '04... fix it, sell it, part-it-out?

A couple of you may have seen that i bought a new car last week. It was the result of my XF getting in an accident the day before. Im looking to either fix her, sell her as-is, or just part her out.

Firstly everyone was fine. I swerved to miss an oncoming car making a left, and hit a cab next to me. Damage assessed at $5k.

Is it worth it to fix to sell? Does anyone have any interest in it, as-is? Or are the " increasingly rare" parts for this car worth more individually?

This car has been meticulously maintained and kept by a fanatic since 2004; you can search thru any of my posts if you need proof I have an Excel sheet of service records since her first major milestone at 50k miles (currently at 90k), and all receipts since new.

So let me know what you think.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_000107.jpg (559.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg
WP_000108.jpg (547.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Advice requested: damaged '04... fix it, sell it, part-it-out?

Difficult question for me because I don't know the situation... was it insured? Did the insurance company total it? Lots of questions.

If I flat out owned it, I would fix it and keep it.

If it were insured I would get the insurance company to fix it and keep it.

You could probably get more money if it were fixed. I don't think you would get more in parts.

I would not buy another car... I would just keep it. If I did buy a new car I would upgrade to an SRT. But that is me!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:54 PM

It is absolutely insured. The insurance adjuster is the one who assessed it for $5k, and said current value of the car is $12-13k so it was not totalled out.

I own it outright, but also already bought a new car (i had been on the fence for almost a year about buying the new car).

Thanks for the ideas though... it's a difficulty question for me too!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me feel a little ill to see another one bite the dust. It would be hard for me to give mine up after having it for a long time. It might make the most sense from a financial stand point but that would not make the decision any easier. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Post Re: Advice requested: damaged '04... fix it, sell it, part-it-out?

At least fix it and sell if u can"t keep

Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Its amazing the glass didn't pop on that door. You know a door and rocker panel could be bought reasonable here on the forum and then have your body shop put it back together for you.

If repaired, the problem comes when selling the car with a bad mark on the CarFax. Which could be explained, but could effect the selling price.

James

Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Send a note to MrMopar, he has a store now selling parts. He might want to buy the car or can sell you parts to fix it, also can contact at www.thecrossfirestore.com or www.thexfirestore.com

Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

~ i would fix it ... but by making use of another donor car obtaining the complete door, fender and rocker panel cover as a whole... and with the same paint color. this will keep the overall costs way down and make the repair much more simplified. perhaps this will also save on the paint costs. hanging parts should be fairly simple. there are many cars out there in the yards.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Rudy is looking for a high mileage car cheap to put a v8 in why not call him or PM him. jim

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular

I think that 12 or 13k is high even for retail and that would be with a clean car fax. But I am no expert.

Hard to give advice about repairing it yourself without seeing the detailsl of the estimate.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Fender can be repaired, which is what you want to do, as passenger side is hardest to get.
You need a door and side skirt, I do not see $5k in damage. If insured, tell them to repair it. Clean retail for an 04 with 90k is $8k to $10k at best. As is might net $2k, definitely best to get it fixed and then drive it or sell it repaired. I just sold a graphite passenger side door and side skirt today.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely repair it if you can. Not enough to total it,and our resale is not stellar in any respect.

As an individual, I strongly discourage you from parting out. Lots of intentions to buy on this forum, but 50% of your buyers won't have the cash when it counts. Unless you give the parts away, you'll be holding them for months. Take a fool's advice.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by arejohn
I think that 12 or 13k is high even for retail and that would be with a clean car fax. But I am no expert.

Hard to give advice about repairing it yourself without seeing the detailsl of the estimate.
I didnt think it was worth nearly that much either, even before the accident... i was thinking along the lines of MrMopar... $8-10k tops.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Definitely repair it if you can. Not enough to total it,and our resale is not stellar in any respect.

As an individual, I strongly discourage you from parting out. Lots of intentions to buy on this forum, but 50% of your buyers won't have the cash when it counts. Unless you give the parts away, you'll be holding them for months. Take a fool's advice.
Understood. Thats been my hesitation with it as well! Itd probbaly be alot of fun, but i dont want to sit on it for half a year or more trying to get rid of parts.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
Understood. Thats been my hesitation with it as well! Itd probbaly be alot of fun, but i dont want to sit on it for half a year or more trying to get rid of parts.
I got $13,300 for my Limited. Problem is, I had to eat over 26% of that in the buy-back.

I bought my car back because I had some $4,000 in mods that could be transferred to my new ride... But, it wouldn't make sense to buy your mods twice, so to speak. So, I gauged interest on the forum and had many people (even members with "one" post) PM me with "save me this, reserve me that" messages.

So, I did. I bought the chassis back, stripped it down, isolated the parts, and cleaned everything up to make a good sale.

A lot of the big-ticket items moved with no problem... Some dependable buyers (members I had sold to in the past) came through and prevented this from being a disaster. MrMoPar bought my bare chassis, and for the most part, the white Crossfire is nothing but a memory for me.

But, I also have some $1,000 in parts (ebay value, not MSRP) sitting in Steve's shed and my office. Things that were "sold" and the buyers changed their mind on... You can't harbor hard feelings about it, life simply goes on. I willingly ate into my return by using my cedar interior in my SRT... so, I'm not in it strictly for the $$$.

My advice to anyone considering a part-out? GET DEPOSITS. Just to "CYA"...

Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Car has been sold to a rebuilder as-is. Hopefully after its fixed the new owner will stop by here