Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Long Distance Cruising

Old 02-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Long Distance Cruising

Schools been a b*tch, so my girlfriend and I are thinking about heading down to flordia (from michigan, its like 1100 miles) for spring break. We are planning to go camping at one of the state parks, we've done it before and it was great. What I am concerned about is the fuel economy of the drive. I did it a year ago (michigan to flordia and back) in a v8 dakota and got around 19 MPG which was steller for that truck (rarely broke 15mpg anytime). The window sticker of my X-fire says highway is 28mpg which is great, but running the numbers with a 15 gallon tank, that should give a range of about 420 miles, but I rarely get over 300 with a mix of highway and city driving, (conservative driving). Does city driving really hurt that much? or is just because I haven't run the car down to fumes? I try to fill up when the yellow light comes on. This drive would probably be around 75-80 mph average what should I expect?

PS, it looks like there is a red light next to the E on the fuel gauge, does that light up when its dead empty?

Hoping to get a tan

Davesx-fire

Old 02-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Long Distance Cruising

If you can't afford a least $150-180 more in gas round trip get a rich girl friend ! Take the Dakota.It's more camper worthy .

Old 02-21-2005, 07:38 PM

I have not been able to replicate the gas mileage listed by the dealer either. The best thing for you to do is keep track of it during your trip and report back to us what you find. I downshift and pass alot on the highway, could be why I can't reach their numbers.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:54 PM

I can never get near the 17 and 25 my car was quoted it feels more like 12 and 19. Also eventhough the XFire is a nice touring car and very capable of making the trip I would consider another vehicle due to the NO SPARE issue. That Tire Kit crap is just that CRAP, i got a flat on the rear wide tire on a trip from Miami to Orlando and was it a headache, no one had the tire in stock right then and there it would have to be ordered and if they did they wanted like $400 for a tire which is crazy, so reconsider and take another vehicle and put the beating and miles on a rental not your XFIre.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
PJA
Thumbs up Re: Long Distance Cruising

Wife and I drove from San Francisco to San Diego and back just before xmass and averaged just over 26 MPG. Freeway most of the way at 80 MPH. BTW it is a 6 speed.

Pete

Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 PM

You should look at the weather report for the time you are going. I'd hate to drive during a snow storm in a XF, and you'll be going through a lot of road miles that have the possibility of being snowed on. I know you are used to driving it at home in the snow, but I'd hate to get stuck in a snow drift or something far away from home.
The gas issue, just don't let the tank get to fumes. There are a ton of gas stations on the way down, don't pass one up when you are getting low, that's all.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:46 PM

Good points, I wish I could take my old Dakota, but that was the trade in for the Crossfire (lease), i guess snow could be a concern, but I can't imagine it being any worse than we have had around here the last couple days, I dont really have the option of taking another vehicle, unless I want to get 2.5 mpg in a 12 second 73 firebird, I will not be buying my crossfire when the lease is over so I could care less about mileage when I turn it i and. I figure if I get a flat I will just have a better story to tell when I get back. I will keep track of fuel milage, and see if I can squeeze the EPA's 28mpg out of it.. As far as budgeting goes, when I went in my dakota 2 years ago I spent like 270+ in fuel, so I am trying to figure out what the trip is going to cost, and I wish this car was good for picking up richer girls, all it seems to attract are chicks who assume I am wealthy (and not in college).

DavesX-fire

Old 02-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard that there's a lot of potholes in Florida....i hope it's just a multiple choice and not a " fill in the blanks " LOL

Old 02-21-2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DavesX-fire
Schools been a b*tch, so my girlfriend and I are thinking about heading down to flordia (from michigan, its like 1100 miles) for spring break. We are planning to go camping at one of the state parks, we've done it before and it was great. What I am concerned about is the fuel economy of the drive. I did it a year ago (michigan to flordia and back) in a v8 dakota and got around 19 MPG which was steller for that truck (rarely broke 15mpg anytime). The window sticker of my X-fire says highway is 28mpg which is great, but running the numbers with a 15 gallon tank, that should give a range of about 420 miles, but I rarely get over 300 with a mix of highway and city driving, (conservative driving). Does city driving really hurt that much? or is just because I haven't run the car down to fumes? I try to fill up when the yellow light comes on. This drive would probably be around 75-80 mph average what should I expect?

PS, it looks like there is a red light next to the E on the fuel gauge, does that light up when its dead empty?

Hoping to get a tan

Davesx-fire
75 to 80 mph You can expect--------------- a ticket. Seriously I drive 40% town 60% highway and get 26 mpg with a six speed.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:41 PM

sugestion-----use 1/4 tank as empty, that will keep settelings in the fuel tank from contaminating your fuel system. ( injectors etc.)

Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

I love to drive my Xf but I always rent for long distant vacations that way I don't care where I park or worry at all .Just not worth the woorys away from home.And you can drive the crap of those rentals.
Not to mention the spare tire thing .That alone would cost more than the trip !

Old 02-21-2005, 11:01 PM

you can tell who the old people in a room are, lol. Take the crossfire and love every minute of it, your not gettin a flat, and florida has little to no potholes. Xfires are meant for driving, not sitting in your garage. Get a Porsche for that.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:06 PM

75mph a ticket???? The Turnpike in S. Fla speed limit is 70 mph and if you are going 75 or 80 down here you are so called going with the flow so you wont get stopped however 90 thats another story

Old 02-22-2005, 09:02 AM

I beg to differ about 75 not getting a ticket. In west virginia where the speed limit drops to 65 on the turnpike definitely will get you a ticket if they get you in one of their infamous radar at the bottom of one their many hills(I can show you my receipt). there are many streches in virginia as well(radar detectors illegal there) where the limit is 60. most of north carolina is 70mph speed limit. On 95 or 26 in south carolina if you do 80 you get passed like a grandmother with one eye. Also this time of the year you can get nailed by a snowstorm in north carolina on 77. I spent two wonderful days in mooresville(around Lake Norman) waiting for the two inches of ice on 77 to get cleared two years ago in Febuary. I know, I take that route to Hilton head and Myrtle Beach 4-5 times a year. I don't know why I am warning a college student from "that state up north". I smile everytime I see one of them getting a ticket.
GO BUCKS!!

Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Gas mileage appears to be biased based on what you consider "empty". I believe the E indicator (red area) on the fuel gauge is really another quarter tank of fule, but how do you really know? If it is another quarter tank of fuel, I wonder why the CHECK FUEL lamp comes on when it goes in the red?

Enjoy your trip to Florida. I am driving down to the Keys this weekend and I can't wait!!!

Last edited by battlerock; 02-22-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:36 AM

to find out what it is on YOUR particular car do the following. When the light goes on, stop at a gas station and immediately fill up and subtract that from the fuel capacity listed in the usermanual. That's how much gas is left in you tank. I suspect due to variances in the positioning of the guage and the time when the light goes on will vary from car to car. And make sure you are on level ground to determine when the light goes on.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:17 PM

I know how to check mileage. I don't just go from when the light comes on. I cannot match the listed specs from the entire tank. I do 80 mph to work every day and get passed the whole time. Stay out of Virginia, they live to ticket people.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Talking Re: Long Distance Cruising

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
I heard that there's a lot of potholes in Florida....i hope it's just a multiple choice and not a " fill in the blanks " LOL
I think that is "pot heads", not potholes! And if they are driving, watch out for them too, haha!

Anyway, have fun on your trip Dave, when are you going? It's snowing here again, but you know that!

Old 02-22-2005, 03:54 PM

don't forget the crackheads! They will scratch your car if you don't pay them, lol.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:26 PM

Spiitz,
I was not telling you how to check mileage, Daves_xfire and battlerock were trying to figure how much gas was in the tank when the fuel low lights came on.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Cruising