Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Spare Tire Issue

Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Spare Tire Issue

Please be advised that you will need to have at least $400.00 and about 2 or 3 days of waiting if you get a flat tire.

I got a flat tire and went about a week without my car. Not because of the money but normal tire dealers don't normally carry a 19" tire from Michelin or any other vendor for that reason.

I had to go to a rim shop for performance tires and rims to get my tire.

Please be prepared that you may have to place an order for the tire which in Miami takes about 2 days to receive...

For all who may have for gotton, You Crossfire is not equipped with a spare tire.

Also, have a cellular phone just in case your traveling on the highway.

Submit your posts as i do not believe that i am the only xfire owner that has had a flat tire.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Default Re: Spare Tire Issue

Just another good reason to purchase the extended warranty. With the extended warranty, Chrysler picks you up on the highway, tows your car to the nearest Chrysler dealer, and pays for a rental while you are waiting for the tire.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Lightbulb Re: Spare Tire Issue

Tell me about it! I got shafted at the dealer.

Also, when the tow company came for the car from Chrysler, they were driving so fast that they hit a bump and knocked out the cap on my fog light on the drivers. It's like a loose cover for the bulb. I was fired up!!!

Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 PM

is that for rim and tire please response

Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this topic has come up on numerous occasions. however, unless you must rely on your crossfire as your only transportation, you don't need to spend $400+ for a tire. but you likely will have to wait as you stated. order your tires from tirerack and have them shipped to your home or tire shop unless the tire shop can come close to matching the price. right now the continental all-season tires are only $141 for the rears and $138 for the fronts. the michelin PS2s are $289/196.

instead of relying on the tirefit system (which can eventually clog the tire valves and cause the pressure sensor to malfunction) make sure to keep a vulcanized rubber tire repair kit and a pair of needlenose pliers in your car at all times. i am speaking from experience since i had a flat 600 miles from home. fortunately i was able to have the tire plugged by a roadside assistance garage (not affiliated with Chrysler) after the tirefit didn't seal the rather large hole. now i carry a plug kit and have used it twice (on other cars).

the extended warranty doesn't provide much in such a case because you already have Chrysler roadside assistance while under the bumper to bumper warranty. you can also add towing to your insurance for a nominal amount. if you have other transportation, the rental benefits don't provide much either. but if you will be paying for the new tire you definitely don't want the car being towed to a dealership or tire shop that won't offer a competitive price or allow you to order your own tire.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Cool Re: Spare Tire Issue

At that time it was my only means of transportation but i have invested in a 2003 Honda 600 Bike for backup. I did not have enough time to get the tire from Tire Rack so i just kept searching for the best price. I have also seen the comparisons of the PS2's and the GoodyearEagle F1's are pretty impressive!

Thanks for the advice...

Old 03-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gurutek24
At that time it was my only means of transportation but i have invested in a 2003 Honda 600 Bike for backup. I did not have enough time to get the tire from Tire Rack so i just kept searching for the best price. I have also seen the comparisons of the PS2's and the GoodyearEagle F1's are pretty impressive!

Thanks for the advice...
I think if I were buying new tires today I would also get the F1s because they seem to be a better value than the PS2s. But if I were leasing or needed all-season tires the continentals might be the best bet.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Well, i actually got the Dunlop Sport 9000 for the rear tire that blew out on me...it was the only one available!

Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a full set with used 50% michelins for sale 1 or all .PMs please or call me direct 805-7019017

the wheels are perfect no road rash.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Banned
Cool Re: Spare Tire Issue

Originally Posted by AlvinByars
Just another good reason to purchase the extended warranty. With the extended warranty, Chrysler picks you up on the highway, tows your car to the nearest Chrysler dealer, and pays for a rental while you are waiting for the tire.
But you still have to buy a wheel and tire if both are blown .

Old 03-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Forum Regular

Keith
Any pics with your Italia wheels? We would like to see them.

Old 03-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Banned

Do they have a mustache !

Old 03-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keijoh
My homepage is as follows:

http://homepage.mac.com/kajohnston/XF

just follow the link to All XF or browse around. Your welcome.

Keith
KEITH: Nice pics! You have a nice looking family.
Is that you with the two different hair colours. Did getting married scare you that bad? All kidding aside, we wish you all the best!

Old 03-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

The car looks great ! nice pics .

Old 03-13-2005, 11:24 AM

Keith,

Great PICS. You really must get some heads turning over in Korea. I missed my tour there (almost went to Osan), did a year in Diego Garcia however, retired AF now. How I miss getting blankets, coins, and jackets from Korea, can't beat the price or workmanship in most cases. Hope AAFES treated you well on the car purchase.

I actually had a question.... You said something about a tire repair kit, any luck/advise on one or the other, that's a great idea carrying one of those in the trunk with an air pump.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular

I actually had a question.... You said something about a tire repair kit, any luck/advise on one or the other, that's a great idea carrying one of those in the trunk with an air pump.[/QUOTE]

Keith:
More than likely, half of us on this forum have the tire repair kits in our cars! If you catch the leak early enough, which you should with the senser light, then you can look for the hole and do a quick patch. You might consider having it looked at later to do a good inside patch at a dealer. Some of the guys have had no issues with the patch plug though.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:15 AM

has anyone figured out what kind of donut could be obtained? Would really like to get one to remove the flat tire headache. Just something to get you home or on a long trip at least to a garage.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by typhoon55
has anyone figured out what kind of donut could be obtained? Would really like to get one to remove the flat tire headache. Just something to get you home or on a long trip at least to a garage.

Anyone with the same bolt pattern and caliper clearence should work. Call Benz .

Old 03-14-2005, 09:10 AM

I was hoping someone has gone thru the exercise of donut searching.....I think it would save alot of worry & heartache if there is one that could be strapped up possible underneath? Anytime I drive, it does cross my mind that these beautiful tires could go flat and waiting for road repair which will not be able to get a replacement tire for several days is the only option!

Old 03-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

Or a tire shop should be able to sell them have you called any? It would have to go in the cargo area.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Issue