Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Radio Problems?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problems?

I've tried searching on this but couldn't find anything.

I have a 2005 Roadster Ltd. with the factory radio. All of the controls are slow to respond and, I know this sounds crazy, the radio appears to get louder the faster I go.

Anyone else experiencing slow response times to radio commands and/or the volume going up at speed?

Many Thanks.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 PM
RPM
Default Re: Radio Problems?

Originally Posted by tro00
I've tried searching on this but couldn't find anything.

I have a 2005 Roadster Ltd. with the factory radio. All of the controls are slow to respond and, I know this sounds crazy, the radio appears to get louder the faster I go.

Anyone else experiencing slow response times to radio commands and/or the volume going up at speed?

Many Thanks.
The controls are a little delayed with the stock system.

Also, I believe the radio has some SCV (Speed Controlled Volume) functionality to it. I notice that the faster I go - the louder it gets.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Forum Regular

Message Deleted

Last edited by AMGLover; 09-05-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by RPM
The controls are a little delayed with the stock system.

Also, I believe the radio has some SCV (Speed Controlled Volume) functionality to it. I notice that the faster I go - the louder it gets.
Can the SCV be adjusted?? I love the SCV feature (I've had it on other stereos and noticed it on a rented Xfire) but it seems my Crossfire radio does not do it. Did all 2005s come with this feature or only with the NAV radio??

Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AtlantaSRT6
Can the SCV be adjusted?? I love the SCV feature (I've had it on other stereos and noticed it on a rented Xfire) but it seems my Crossfire radio does not do it. Did all 2005s come with this feature or only with the NAV radio??
You'll have to contact Becker to find that out. My guess is no. They aren't the most helpful folks either. Good luck with them.

All the stock radios have the speed sensitive volume. I had an Ford Focus with a Blaupunkt radio and it's controls were great. You could do most anything with it. This Becker is just plain cryptic. I finally gave up trying to understand it and just use it.

The one thing I find annoying on a daily basis is the hiss. This is discussed in a recent thread. The silly amp puts a hiss through the speakers as soon as you turn the ignition key on.

Read the manual. There is a PDF file on the web somewhere with more detail on this radio. I had the file but have somehow misplaced it.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular

It's interesting that you talk of another radio than the one in the '04. In that car, it's a very nice infinity radio with CD and a lot of adjustments to sound. I had a Sirius radio transmitter in my PT Cruiser that I kept and they installed it in my Crossfire coupe. They put it in the glove box behind the handbrake. Not a great place for it. I ended up taking that out and getting a sirius ready unit (Kenwood) I now have the other one for sale with the sirius transmitter thrown in. Make me an offer.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire Trail
It's interesting that you talk of another radio than the one in the '04. In that car, it's a very nice infinity radio with CD and a lot of adjustments to sound.
That's the Becker unit, most likely the 6806. They built it for Infinity.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/chrys...ire/index.html

Old 07-12-2007, 05:20 PM

I read the manual but cannot find the answer I need to my radio question. Normally when I manually tune, it does so in a "seek"format, whereby it goes to the next strongest station. Mine, however, skips so many frequencies, I'm forced to modify the tuning format. I hit the OPT button, then select the TUN option. This puts it back into good old manual tuning and I can locate stations otherwise ignored by the radio.

However, it then defaults back into a "seek" format so I'm forced to repeat this every time I want to tune manually. How can I make the radio not default to a seek format?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
However, it then defaults back into a "seek" format so I'm forced to repeat this every time I want to tune manually. How can I make the radio not default to a seek format?
I don't think you can change it to tune manually all the time.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Forum Regular

It strikes me as a radio with 2 personalities...CDs sound good and can be made/adjusted to sound good...radio seems limited on changeability and sound. In all reality, great/awesome car, terrible cup holder and an overly complex or difficult radio that should not encumber a car of this quality. A "re-buttoned" Becker (which are already not the most user friendly radios made) is not a good end-result.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a little button in the upper left corner (on the non-nav units, anyway) labeled "Man". You might want to try that.

Attached Images
Old 07-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Forum Regular

I'm so sorry (tear) I was unaware that the Infinity WAS the Becker, shows my ignorance.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the manual but cannot find the answer I need to my radio question. Normally when I manually tune, it does so in a "seek"format, whereby it goes to the next strongest station. Mine, however, skips so many frequencies, I'm forced to modify the tuning format. I hit the OPT button, then select the TUN option. This puts it back into good old manual tuning and I can locate stations otherwise ignored by the radio.

62Thunderbird:

I'm doing this from memory, so I apologize for errors. The radio has, I think, maybe 4 features that can cause it to bypass stations while seeking. RDS, Traffic Data, signal strength and Station Genre (Jazz, Rock, Classical, Country, etc.). For example, with RDS on, it will only seek RDS stations. If you have the traffic data on, it will do the same for traffic stations. Same with signal strength (has to be a strong station) and Genre (will only find stations that claim to be broadcasting the type of music you want).

Go into your options menu and turn off the services (for example: the RDS service) and then try a seek. It should then only seek to the next station. I've also noticed that RDS, for example, still seems to work with RDS turned off. It's just not limited to RDS choices then.

Last edited by eganders; 07-13-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by bflinn
It strikes me as a radio with 2 personalities...CDs sound good and can be made/adjusted to sound good...radio seems limited on changeability and sound. In all reality, great/awesome car, terrible cup holder and an overly complex or difficult radio that should not encumber a car of this quality. A "re-buttoned" Becker (which are already not the most user friendly radios made) is not a good end-result.
Actually after four months of use I've learned to appreciate the CUP HOLDER... Sure it is a pain because you have to be VERY careful with paper cups or it will cut them and leak all over (fortunately I only did that once and it was a rented crossfire), and it doesn't fit tapered cups, and if you move your right arm you hit the cup holder. But you know it looks really good in the closed position, and as all good German Engineers know you shouldn't distract your driving by drinking a beverage anyway. You need to pay attention on the autobahn and for life's sake stay out of the left lane except to pass.

CHEERS!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

That's why I put the Kenwood in, the Sirius, I can't live without my jazz stations. The only thing I need to figure out is, how do I compress 200 tunes on a cd, it plays mp3 format but not from the player itself? The unit is nice though, it's the marine finish and comes close to the silver paint. louder than the original too. I can't complain about that. I'm 61 and I don't listen to all that rap stuff, hate it. The boom box sound isn't for me. The 240 watts is perfect.

RI Crossfire Club
Alabaster '04 Coupe
Rebadged
tuned and dyno tested.
Performance chips
Dark Slate Grey w/Cedar interior
Sirius Radio
Kenwood Marine system

Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crossfire Trail
That's why I put the Kenwood in, the Sirius, I can't live without my jazz stations. The only thing I need to figure out is, how do I compress 200 tunes on a cd, it plays mp3 format but not from the player itself? The unit is nice though, it's the marine finish and comes close to the silver paint.
Don't need another monthly expense, but I have to admit, the Sirius/XM radio I have heard is impressive. what Kenwood did you put in? and was it a good fit with the wiring? What about the amps, were they still used with the aftermarket unit? I am interested because the stock Becker/Infinity with nav is unimpressive.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Radio Problems?

I put in the KDC 232 MR with the Sirius module and it hooked right up with the system wiring, it used the current amp and sounds much better than the Becker/Infinity unit. I did not have the nav and from what I understand it's not impressive with it or without it. The only reason I changed was that I did not want the transmitter just sitting in the window or on the dash somewhere. This works incredibly well and much better than the stock unit. All that for a few bucks was well worth it. Now, if I can find somebody that needs the Becker, I'll be all set.