Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

has anyone installed a Optima yellow top battery in their Crossfire?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone installed a Optima yellow top battery in their Crossfire?

If so what model did you put in please and did it require any modifications of mounting or wiring?
for some reason Optima does not list the Crossfire on their fitment guide
thank you for your help.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: has anyone installed a Optima yellow top battery in their Crossfire?

I am interested also, although for a red top because it is a starting battery. The yellow and blue tops are deep cycle batteries, not terribly necessary in our cars unless serious stereo upgrades have been performed.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: has anyone installed a Optima yellow top battery in their Crossfire?

Before you go that route ask yourself why you are going that route? Is it that you need more power when the car is NOT running? Weight savings?

I say this with years of battery experience in the 12volt audio industry and for the most part peoples reasons don't always align with the real need.

The main benefit of these and others like them are weight savings and placement options (since they can be turned on their side) vs a liquid based battery.

Deep cycle versions gained popularity with car audio guys (industry side) because we built up show vehicles that got transported from show to show and mainly ran off external power supplies and those batteries served two roles; provide an electrical buffer for the power supplies and to serve as a starting power source once the car arrived at the next destination. In many cases these vehicles have a high parasitic draw in storage mode with all the electronics and banks of relays and we would kill off percectly good batteries in a short time if they were not deep cycle models.

Optima was one of the first to market with new gen spiral cell tech and that got many of us on board as we banked a bunch of these in engine compartments, under car trays, even built into and behind many of the custom fab panels. It was not unusual to see two to four of these in a car in a high powered system.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am going to be upgrading the stereo with a larger amplifier and sub so I thought I would upgrade the battery since its getting old anyways to give me better longevity when the car is not running. I have used the yellow top in another car in the same application and it has fared very well.
Thanks