Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Back up light wiring question

Old 04-01-2017, 02:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Back up light wiring question

It looks like in the cars with a NAV radio there is a gray and yellow stripped wire that activates the camera when the car is put into reverse. My question is , does that wire exist in the wiring harness for the standard radios. If not , what is the easiest way to tap into the reverse circuit under the dash. I want to put a wireless backup camera in , but only want the LCD screen to receive power when the car is in reverse. Thanks

Old 04-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Back up light wiring question

Originally Posted by maggy55
It looks like in the cars with a NAV radio there is a gray and yellow stripped wire that activates the camera when the car is put into reverse. My question is , does that wire exist in the wiring harness for the standard radios. If not , what is the easiest way to tap into the reverse circuit under the dash. I want to put a wireless backup camera in , but only want the LCD screen to receive power when the car is in reverse. Thanks
You are making it too complicated.
You just use the wire that goes to a reverse light in any car.
The wire is used in the navigation radio setup for some reason to do with the navigation.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-01-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay, I get that , but I don't want to run the power all the way from the tail light. Where can I patch in under the dash ?

Old 04-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by maggy55
Okay, I get that , but I don't want to run the power all the way from the tail light. Where can I patch in under the dash ?
Get one of those fuses that piggyback an existing fuse and plug it in at the reversing light fuse The Bulb Out light may come on when you reverse, but what the heck. This should work I think.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:39 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Download the service manual. The wire can be located in the console it's in the shifter wire cluster.

The manual will have a wire diagram for you to refer too. I tapped into it for the back up camera