Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Single DIN flip radio

Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Single DIN flip radio

I am not satisfied with my Kenwood radio, the fm range seems poor. What I would like is a nice radio with GPS, I have the OEM Nav radio but I want something up to date. Double DIN would be nice but a lot of work to mod the face plates.
What are the good ones to buy?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Single DIN flip radio

Find one with Apple Play (if you have an iPhone) or Android Auto (if you have an Android) and use the phone for the thinking.

Most I've seen are...sketchy. But inexpensive. Go to Crutchfield.com and use their guide to select and read reviews and opinions.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The Jensen VX7012 gets really good reviews, except maybe for the readability in bright sun.
It also has 4v preamp outs.
$400 from Crutchfield.
$208 from Amazon.
$250 from CarToys
$310 from Sonic

Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The Jensen VX7012 gets really good reviews, except maybe for the readability in bright sun.
It also has 4v preamp outs.
$400 from Crutchfield.
$208 from Amazon.
$250 from CarToys
$310 from Sonic
Does the "Old Man of the North" have a drop-top?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Does the "Old Man of the North" have a drop-top?
He does, but I don't think his car does.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
He does, but I don't think his car does.

He asked if he had a drop-top, not droop-top... LMAO

Old 07-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I just want a built in GPS and decent sound. My Garmin is fine as is my other one (name?) the OEM nav is years out of date and it has me 'off road' a lot.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Do you want to have the silver front face? Takes you towards marine versions, which there are some nice units. But getting GPS in a marine unit is somewhat difficult.

Curious why the GPS is a desired feature for you. With Goggle Maps and other similar APPS for iPhone and/or Android phones, having GPS is becoming a thing of the past. I hardly ever use my Garmin during business trips anymore. Google Maps put it out of business for me.

I'll be interested to see where your thread goes from here.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

If you're not hung up about the silver face, the Clarion NZ503 is a very good unit and has all the features & more you're interested in. I've always had good luck with Clarion units and have used them over the years whenever I upgraded a car's stereo system.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of installing a flip out now, Pioneer AVH-X7800BT. I'm on my last part and should be done next week, maybe this week unless the snow comes bad tonight. Too cold to mess with my convertible.

Because it can play DVD's you have to do a brake bypass; some menu items are not available and it must have a moving sensor as the video goes out when moving. Just got that part and when installed I'll be done. Will post pics then as it looks and works fantastic I think.

I left the factory amp installed. My 1st time playing was eye opening, sounds fantastic. My subs are surprisingly still intact and play in my 11 year old.

Was going to have the speakers and amp replaced professionally, was not cheap. Got two quotes for mid grade amp and speakers all around would run $1,499.00 to $1649.00. Don't think the money would get much better sound than if I just replace the speakers myself. That's next this spring, maybe as this thing sounds great and looks awesome as is.

AVH-X7800BT - 1-DIN DVD Receiver with 7" Flip-out Display, Bluetooth®, Siri® Eyes Free, Spotify®, and AppRadio One? | Pioneer Electronics USA

Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

May just be me but with my herd, I prefer to carry my tunes/diagnostics/GPS on my S5 and just use the car for AMP/Speakers/Bluetooth/magnetic mount. Are a few times I'd like a 10" display but for now the 6" is ok.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi... takes youself towards marine versions, which there are some nice units. But getting GPS in a marine unit is somewhat difficult.
Curious why the GPS is a desired feature for you. With Goggle Maps and other similar APPS for iPhone and/or Android phones, having GPS is becoming a thing of the past. I hardly ever use my Garmin during business trips anymore. Google Maps put it out of business for me.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by LulaNord
Hi... takes youself towards marine versions, which there are some nice units. But getting GPS in a marine unit is somewhat difficult.
Using Google maps via mobile device while driving burns data fast and I do use a Garmin in my Crossfire.

I wanted a simple clean interface and the Pioneer HU I purchased is as clean as they come when closed. Most single din units today have a dot matrix nightmare blaring into cars. I made a subjective decision to find a HU that had a simple clean look. This is why I picked it, not for the GPS.

Last edited by pdjmwj; 04-12-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
May just be me but with my herd, I prefer to carry my tunes/diagnostics/GPS on my S5 and just use the car for AMP/Speakers/Bluetooth/magnetic mount. Are a few times I'd like a 10" display but for now the 6" is ok.
This is not a 10" display. Using that S5 while driving a car in against the law.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I have Kenwood HUs in both cars. When my iPhone runs google maps thru Bluetooth the nice lady overrides the music to give directions. No need to stare at the phone.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by pdjmwj
This is not a 10" display. Using that S5 while driving a car in against the law.
In Florida?

Old 04-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
In Florida?
Any kind of screen is of no use to some Floridians as they can drive with just about 10% vision and no brain.

On a more serious matter I am going to start a thread titled 'Tips required to make a double din face plate'.
The first tip will probably be "Don't bother". I think that from two spare face plates for the dash one can be fabricated, it may take time, patience, a few more face plates and three times more material than really needed, but what the heck. How hard can it be?
I have the time, it's the patience that may be in short supply.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Any kind of screen is of no use to some Floridians as they can drive with just about 10% vision and no brain.

On a more serious matter I am going to start a thread titled 'Tips required to make a double din face plate'.
The first tip will probably be "Don't bother". I think that from two spare face plates for the dash one can be fabricated, it may take time, patience, a few more face plates and three times more material than really needed, but what the heck. How hard can it be?
I have the time, it's the patience that may be in short supply.
Dave, that's just...cold. (Get it?)

At least they don't drive around with gravy stains from their fries on the seats....

Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Been using this one for 3 months now. Has GPS, Hands free BT phone with separate mic, OBD2 to connect via bluetooth plus loads more. You can also connect digital tv and reverse camera (both optional) Works really well and the OBD2 is really handy for reading codes. Not expensive either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Core-An...wAAOSwWxNYonbU

Last edited by stevieb; 04-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Single DIN flip radio