Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

This has been brought up before, but I want to discuss what I have found.

I used to be a big car stereo enthusiast and have built a few pretty nice car audio systems in my time. What I have noticed about the Crossfire (non-base coupe) sound system is that it really isn't that bad... after one small modification is done. The problem IMO is that there is an absolute overabundance of low frequency energy in the 100-200 hertz range with no possibility for the bass control to get rid of… and no fader to control the relative volume of the subs to the rest of the system. I have personally found that I usually had the bass control at about -7 or -8 to reduce the mid-bass sloppiness that it exhibited (IMO, too much mid-bass is the single biggest issue that can make a sound system sound terrible). This "extra" bass energy is coming from the poorly crossed over door bass/mids. In fact, I suspect those bass/mids may be running straight up (or close to it) and contributing way too much energy in that range.

What I did was to install a 200 Hz high pass crossover in the form of a 200uF capacitor in series with the front speakers. Simple enough if you are a car stereo guy. This little mod does ABSOLUTE wonders to the system. I am absolutely amazed how much quality low frequency energy the subs actually produce. It was there before, but was being muddled by those front speakers and reduced in volume by my having to turn the bass control down so much to control the overzealous mid-bass. The new sound is rich and detailed in all the mid-bass frequencies, and the subs really nicely fill in the lower frequencies at just about the right crossover frequency. The subs do not produce "thumping" volumes, but the quality of the bass is quite good. Subjectively, I estimate that the system is easily producing 40 Hz at relatively good volume. It won't be enough for bass volume freaks, but the quality of the bass is pretty darn good, and I am all about the quality.

This overabundance of mid bass is probably the most common problem that most stock car stereos have. Manufacturers do this purposefully to help compensate for road noise, but it really mucks up the sound, especially in the relatively quiet Crossfire. Once this mod is done, in addition to the huge bass improvement, is that the midrange opens up and sounds so much more natural and smooth.

This mod will not address the issue that some think the head unit is crappy. I would say that it is very average in the reproduction of upper midrange and treble frequencies, and at volumes more than "fairly loud" the sounds gets a bit grainy, but that's about it. Sure it doesn’t have a ton of features, but IMO it looks better than a lot of the aftermarket stereos, at least in our Crossfire. To me, all the spinning circles, flying dots, and multi-color displays are just too much, although I have seen a few units that I like (but big $$$). I prefer the simplicity of the stock unit, and with this mod, it sounds so much better.

I highly recommend this mod to anyone interested in improving the sound quality, but really don't want to spend a lot. It may be just the ticket before resorting to a complete overhaul! It is pretty good bang for the buck mod and isn't too hard to do (depending on your skill set). I can't imagine a stereo shop charging more than about $100 for this mod.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

interesting...

very informative.

j

Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pelked1
What I did was to install a 200 Hz high pass crossover in the form of a 200uF capacitor in series with the front speakers. Simple enough if you are a car stereo guy.
Can you provide instructions for the DIYers?

Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 PM

Yes this is very interesting and I am also interested in how you go about doing this.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
Can you provide instructions for the DIYers?
I'll put together something soon and post it here.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 AM

Now I know what is going on with my speakers. I often time have to shut down the radio because of the heavy bass sound that is unpleasant, on certain music's. I tried to adjust while driving but with little result and can be dangerous. Thanks Pelked1 for understanding the problem. Looking forward for your next posting.

Ron.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

Man a guy that actually knows what he's talking about...Thanks! Hurry with directions!

Old 03-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was talking to ben audio here about the same thing.
Let us know how you make out.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Thumbs up Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

I, too, look forward to your help w/ instructions. Wonderful input.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by fantasy
Now I know what is going on with my speakers. I often time have to shut down the radio because of the heavy bass sound that is unpleasant, on certain music's. I tried to adjust while driving but with little result and can be dangerous. Thanks Pelked1 for understanding the problem. Looking forward for your next posting.

Ron.
Yup, this is exactly what the modification will fix.

I'll have a DIY procedure soon.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Yes I would be interested as well...

Old 03-29-2006, 12:23 AM

I have recently found out that I cannot upload pictures with my account. I may try and open up a new one to see if that would work.

Without pics, this DIY thread would be almost worthless...

Old 03-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to the forum and a new XF owner and love my car. Thanks for the info, I will be watching for the DYI.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Forum Regular

can't wait to see this.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:21 PM

I would be very interested in this also!

Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 PM

Any chance we'll see this soon pelked1? Thanks!

Old 04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have recently found out that I cannot upload pictures with my account. I may try and open up a new one to see if that would work.

Without pics, this DIY thread would be almost worthless...
Since the gallery is back and running, maybe it'll work now?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Question Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

I saw your pic in the gallery for this mod. Do you think there is any way this can be done where the wires come out at the amplifier?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:09 AM

Took a bunch of pics today on how to remove the door panel and where to wire-in the capacitor. I will post a guide soon after I figure out how best to describe the exact procedure...don't want to ruin anyone's day with incorrect instructions...

Wiring the capacitors directly out of the amp is a really good idea. Quite honestly, I didn't think of doing it this way. Intriguing idea. Somebody posted the stereo diagram at one point and it looks like the pins out of the amp as marked on the diagram are 7 and 8. A little problem looks to be that there are two pins that are labeled 7 and two that are 8. So one would have to find the wires that are Black/Pink and Black/Blue and wire in the capacitors there.

I am going to have a look at the amp and see if this is a possibility. I have read that it is in the passenger footwell area behind a panel somewhere...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
audio_diagram_crossfire.jpg (98.6 KB, 2266 views)
Old 04-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Took a bunch of pics today on how to remove the door panel...
Link for door panel removal: (see page 2)

http://homepage.mac.com/gregmeach/XF..._DoorPanel.pdf

The following users liked this post:
jxrgxn (07-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod