Canada Serving Canada.

Tire Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Problems!

Last wednesday I did a 300 KM circuit in rural Alberta, when I arrived home I checked levels, and tire pressures. Low and behold the insides tread on both rears where showing the stainless belts. I spent thursday searching for stock tires, lots of frustration, finally I went to my dealership and they came up with Pirelli Rosso's, a little research and I discovered that they are summer use only and I was looking for A/S. Several phone calls and a trip to the dealership resulted in Michelin pilot sports A/S being ordered for delivery and installation on friday. Friday no tires,holiday weekend no tires, Tuesday, yup no tires, Today tires.and a phone call!!! "Sorry our tire machine can't handle the low profile, we have to send it out to a tire shop, should be ready for pick up tomorrow PM". Moral of this story is, if you live in a remote part of the world buy your tires and find some one to mount and balance them several weeks in advance of needing them!!! Greater Edmonton has a population of over 1 million and I did not expect a problem like this to arise.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tire Problems!

Sorry to here your tire problem do you know what caused the tires to wear on the inside?
I live in sherwood park and have owned an '04 coupe for a month now and 3 weeks of that it has been at derrick dodge for a camshaft.
I here the pilots are a very good tire im prob going to go with them my self.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Forum Regular

I am having a 4 wheel alignment done, WHEN the tires are installed, so that may give me an answer. I had 12,000 km when I bought it from Great West, I have added 4k since may, I think that the end of lease people switched the rears as 16k/10,000 miles is very low for the conti's. That being said I have been guilty of burning up the highway west of the city. I am only off the road for a week, it must be killing you to only have driven for a week and have your car in for repair trust you got the extended warrenty... PM me when you are mobile, perhaps we can find some other Crossfires in Edmonton, and do a sunday cruise.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Hi, I live in Calgary and I will make a point of finding a tire supplier and installer. Thanks for the heads up. My '05 Limited Roadster has just turned 20,000 km and the tires still look good.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an SRT6 with the Pilot Sports 2 AS tires. I often read about how the Crossfire aggressively follows the road grooves. Never having experiencing this, I thought nothing about it. Figured it was just a mis-alignment issue.

I had the opportunity to rent a roadster recently and it had the Contis. The steering on that car was all over the road. I really think the Contis are the culprit with this. Are you just replacing the rears? If you can I would do the fronts as well. I am sure you will notice a big improvement in the general handling.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Forum Regular

Back home after 3 shifts in the "Alberta Oilsands", My wife picked up the Crossfire on friday nite. Naturally the bill was higher than expected, my tires and rims had to be subleased to a tire shop as the dealer didn't have a tire machine that could remove stock tires or install them. The 4 wheel alignment could not be done "unable to perform wheel alignment" - 'CUSTOMER ADVISED TO TAKE VEHICLE TO ALIGNMENT SHOP - CANNOT PERFORM 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENTS WE DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER TOOL AND THE VEHICLE NEEDS CAMBER/CASTER BOLT KITS INSTALLED' !! Moral of the story is??? Please add you own ending as my blood pressure is dangerously high.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:53 PM

I went to my dealership to have alignment done the car seems to pull to the right and when I booked it (2 weeks in advance) they said no problem...no call or anything show up the day of the appointment and they keep the car all day just to find out they too don't have the proper equipment to align this car. Don't worry we will order it in for you...I say ok 1.5 weeks later no phone call again and wow lo and behold they still don't have the proper part ...I work shift work, on for a month and off for 2 weeks so I guess I will have to wait another month to find out if it is in...hopefully.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Forum Regular

I have mine booked in on the 24th, camber/caster bolts have been brought in from T.O.. The head of the service department has told me that they have done this kind of thing before. We will see!!. The new Pilot A/S tires seem to be a better ride than the old Conti's but I don't want to scub off 2 grand's worth of tires without seeing if the lack of alignment caused it.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Forum Regular

24th aug 4 wheel alignment day has come and gone, "Sorry Sir your Crossfire needs 2 more sets of bolts and they are 5 days away". I hope this is only a Canadian thing, If I was south of the 49th I may be caring a sidearm to the dealership next week. How is service and parts availability in T.O. or Vancouver? I hope you fare better than here in Edmonton.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:00 PM

I have an '04 ltd, auto
My conti's were dead after 20,000 miles, were touching the bands and slippy as all get out. I decided to go with an exlclaim UHP? I put 275/30's in the back and stock size up front. They are rated as an M/S and believe it or not I drove it all winter from my home to work, 70+ miles away from 5,700 Ft up to 9,500 Ft, and there was only one day that I didn't make it to work. Best part was, I ordered them from tirerack and only ended up paying maybe 6 or 7 hundred? I have since put approx 24,000 miles on those tires and they still look great and have a good amount of tread left. I get great hook up on the track with them and they love heavy rain. If you need a picture I can try to upload one, or I think I have a bad picture of them in my gallery or on my profile picture? give me a shout if you want to know more.

'04 Ltd, Autostick
Custom exhaust, K&N's
2 10" MTX 5500's

Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 PM

I have found a good shop to have tires changed ACTION TYRE LTD. 236-4567 in calgary, they changed over my winter tires (dunlop 3D online from B.C shipped cheaper). My PILOTS for summer still good since '04 new and I got about 36k on them, great tires.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Forum Regular

This is becoming a blog, tomorrow I am booked in for my 4 wheel alignment, at a 3rd party alignment shop. The additional bolts arrived a week ago, but service department could not get me in till the sept 7. NOW they are subbing it out as they can't do the alignment, with their equipment. Can xf how are you doing in GP? Same problems as me?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM

I haven't been in to the dealership...still working in the USA I probably won't be back till late Nov. (I am working extra to help pay for a new truck) and unless the weather is nice I probably won't take my crossfire in till next spring because I usually park it for the winter. Hopefully by then it will be in...lol.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Forum Regular

Finally my laser alignment has been done, not at the dealership but at a body shop! It only took from sep 6th to 18th to get it finally done, and another set of camber/castor bolts being brought in, but BABY is home, and filthy, left out in the rain, interior dusty, and maybe some extra miles on Her. My wife picked Baby up last nite, (as I am up in the OilSands till the weekend), and E-mailed me on the situation, so it looks like a weekend of detailing, and trying to find out what was done, as the bill was not ready and they are going to mail it to me! Perhaps a freebee and without having to go to War.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM

Read with interest your tale of woe. Hope it worked out in the end after all that frustration.

I have a similar problem with my xfire. BUT, only the LR wore down on the inside. It had been aligned at the dealership about 4,000 miles before (total of 15,000 on the car now).

My question is, what are good alignment specifications? The alignment shop said that the camber in the rear was supposed to be about 2.2 degrees, which seems like a lot.

Can anyone direct me to previous threads on this issue? I've done searches, and come up blank.

I have just ordered one tire - as the other 3 still look good. Problem is that the CSC2 is no longer produced, and I am getting a CSC3. Will see how that works out.

Henry Payne