Car Shows The place to discuss car shows and tips and tricks for winning them...

Tips for Winning Car Shows?

Old 06-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Tips for Winning Car Shows?

I would rather have nice plaques, the trophies are about $3 worth of shiny plastic. I do have a few though, about 25, counting yesterdays.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The best way to win at a car show is to get into the clique that runs its, they look after themselves and the buddies.
Many clubs are run by cliques, no good ideas unless it is one of theirs, members money spent on their expenses with little oversight.
That doesn't sound too good.

I imagine it's still fun to show off your car! But, golly...one might as well go buy themselves a trophy if all it means is "I'm friends with the organizers."

Old 06-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I would rather have nice plaques, the trophies are about $3 worth of shiny plastic. I do have a few though, about 25, counting yesterdays.
Jim,

TWENTY-FIVE?!?!

Sounds like I need to see this heavily modified SRT6 of yours.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleGuyLucy
That doesn't sound too good.

I imagine it's still fun to show off your car! But, golly...one might as well go buy themselves a trophy if all it means is "I'm friends with the organizers."
Tastes vary a lot and what you may think is garish others think it looks great.
Probably the easiest way to pick up points is to have it clean, even the most awkward spots could loose you points if the judges were looking to downgrade your car. Other judges may be less so inclined to do that. I would go with a clean car and keep away from cheap flashy add ons. Learn and ask the judges what on your car they did not rate too highly. Listen and learn is what a guy told me once. Giving them a nice cool beer on a hot day can't do any harm either.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I can not remember when a Canadian team last won that cup. We should just pick up the case of beer and just go home.
True but, isn't having Sidney Crosby's team with the cup almost like a Canadian team winning? Since he's the Canadian hockey darling and gold medal game winning goal scorer?

As a lifelong Detroit Red Wings fan...I'm beside myself that the Penguins were the first to repeat since the 97/98 Wings.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by LittleGuyLucy
Jim,

TWENTY-FIVE?!?!

Sounds like I need to see this heavily modified SRT6 of yours.

After a recount, I have 26 "trophies" and 4 plaques. You have to understand, that's over a 5 year span and I go to 10 to 15 shows a year. I have learned over time to get in the right class, most of the time. Except last weekend; they refused to put me in import class (which I would have won) and put me in special interest, lost to a '29 Ford roadster. I'm just finishing a few new mods; I'll post a new album with all new pics in a week or two.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

After a recount, I have 26 "trophies" and 4 plaques. You have to understand, that's over a 5 year span and I go to 10 to 15 shows a year. I have learned over time to get in the right class, most of the time. Except last weekend; they refused to put me in import class (which I would have won) and put me in special interest, lost to a '29 Ford roadster. I'm just finishing a few new mods; I'll post a new album with all new pics in a week or two.
If these cars do not count as imports, what does? Amazing!
I'd have to say the fix was in.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, we are learning that being placed in the right class is important. How do you decide what class to go with? Is it always Import/European or do you sometimes do Mopar?

Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Crystal
Yes, we are learning that being placed in the right class is important. How do you decide what class to go with? Is it always Import/European or do you sometimes do Mopar?

It depends on how big the show is, If there are many (200+) and lots of classes, I will shoot for import class but if the show is smaller, I sometimes do modified Mopar. Today I took 1st in import, a nice plaque. It seems like this is a plaque year. I'm 4 of 6 this year with 2 trophies, 2 plaques, which as stated above are easier to display.