Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: What do you want in Carbon Fiber? (you may chose more than one)
Bumper(s)
32.50%
Hood
55.00%
Spoiler
50.00%
Side Skirts
37.50%
Other
47.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Real Carbon Fiber For Our Crossfire's!!!

Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Real Carbon Fiber For Our Crossfire's!!!

I am working on getting real Carbon Fiber body panels and other parts for our Crossfire’s produced by a company in California. I am setting up this poll for input on parts that you would be interested in having made of Carbon Fiber. Anything would help, as this is a top-notch facility, it produced several cars for the new fast and furious movie coming out soon!

Thanks, Jason.

(if you select “other” please specify in a post, thanks!)

Old 04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Real Carbon Fiber For Our Crossfire's!!!!

~ other... means... none. ...as for my post.

the demand will probably be very minimal... if any imo. just not that type of car.

we'll see how the poll goes.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are talking to them about creating a tested aero body kit, then by all means count me in. But, knowing the cost of CF lay-up they will probably be priced out of the general market. I would recommend they do the basic kit in FG and have an option of CF for those who have dad's American Express.

I would easily pay $3,000 for an aero tested fiber glass "front fascia w/lower front chin lip w/adjustable blade", "lower flared side skirts", "hood", "rear fascia w/venturi".

Carbon Fiber would probably triple the cost and would price me out of the market.

Keep me posted as I am in California and can give them my car as a mold.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote no as Andrew. I saw the fast and the furious, it was not the kind of car I would want to drive, but you are 18 and I am 51, so this is OK. Everyone has their own desires as for me I am pretty much a purist.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

It will be OK as long as it doesn't have strakes, flaps, super huge wings, rear bumpers with all types of crap hanging off. LOL, wait yes it will.

All I'm looking for is a decent front chin spoiler like the Startech one which doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 AM

'other' means NONE on my vote also.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm another OHIO "purist" ... None for me thanks! I'm only 49 so... Good luck with that.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:47 PM

I would like to thank you gentlemen for your honest responses. I am 18 yes, but that doesn’t mean I like all that ricer crap, miss aligned body panels, cheap lambo doors, crappy paintwork, and lawn mower exhaust! I was implying more along the lines of what HDDP was implying. A nice body kit with proven aero-dynamics, lines that compliment our cars not take away from it, and of course no f_ing huge deck lid spoilers (the one I have is perfectly fine, it’s just not carbon fiber). And if you don’t like the look of carbon fiber you just have to paint it (like the Enzo/SLR) that is what I plain on doing. It’s the lighter weight that I am looking forward to along with the add style and better aero-dynamics (if possible).

HDDP as soon as I get all this straitened out I will let you know, seen how it is that I’m on the east coast it would probably be easier. Although I do want to drive cross-country this summer down historic route 66. I appreciate you enthusiasm! :

Old 04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Dude, if you can make a tasteful aero stuff like the startech stuff then I would buy. I'm looking for a tasteful aggressive chin spoiler, maybe a rear set of spats like on the GT3 Porsche and a little tiny lip spoiler for when the wing is down. Again, see startech for example. Only thing is Startech costs like a Star!

Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

i have mentioned this before...

if someone would copy the srt front chin spoiler as an add-on... one could make a mint (hello mopar parts/accessories). i don't even need carbon fiber... it would probably take some light abuse underneath. a flexible urethane would do.

just a thought.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 PM

Didn’t even think of that, nice one Andrew. I was also considering a custom intake/filter box based on the E500 only with our stock Crossfire’s look, just a thought. Oh, and a little off topic but I have a question for you Andrew or anyone else who can answer this.

If I replace my stock hood with a carbon fiber hood would the suspension push the front of the car up due to the loss in weight?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 04Fire
Oh, and a little off topic but I have a question for you Andrew or anyone else who can answer this.

If I replace my stock hood with a carbon fiber hood would the suspension push the front of the car up due to the loss in weight?
~ with the weight loss of around 20 lbs... it will not raise the front end any amount to speak of or noticeable to the eye.

here is some nice carbon for ya...

Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 PM

Thanks Andrew just wasn't sure.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Default Re: Real Carbon Fiber For Our Crossfire's!!!

How about some carbon fiber dash inserts where the brushed aluminum is now? The carbon fiber looked really nice in the GT Cruiser?
My 2 cents worth.

Pat

Old 04-13-2006, 09:13 PM

carbon fiber is nice but a big pita...it scratches so so so easily and looks like crap when it does...

Old 04-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
carbon fiber is nice but a big pita...it scratches so so so easily and looks like crap when it does...
Sorry, I must think on a different plane... I don't care if the CF scratches. I care about weight savings... Heck, if they made CF aero parts for the Crossfire I would end-up painting them anyway...

Kind of a moot point though...

Old 04-14-2006, 03:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a thought.

Horsepower to weight ratio of the standard Crossfire is about 215 hp/3,100 lbs = 0.07 hp per pound.

Reducing 20 pounds of weight is the equivalent of: .07 hp/lb *20 lbs = 1.4 horsepower.

In other words, adding a whopping 1.4 horsepower would give you the same general performance advantage as reducing weight by 20 pounds (a good counter-argument here would be that every bit helps).

This simple analysis does break down and is not exactly valid for very dynamic events like road course/slalom tracking because the effective weight of things are amplified when they change direction in short periods of time...a good example of that would be a road course chicane (but it is still relatively valid, especially for small changes in weight like 20 pounds).

Considering that Carbon Fiber is quite expensive, going to Carbon Fiber has got to be one of the worst horsepower per dollar additions anyone could ever opt for. Coupling that with *my opinion* that Carbon Fiber is ugly makes Carbon Fiber a "will never even consider it" option for me.

Just my 2 cents and hope not to anger anyone...

Old 04-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I know... It wouldn't save much on the weight side...

Here's one for ya. I'm looking at purchasing the SCCA Sports Racer. 190 hp Mazda Renesis engine in a 900 lb car. Now that's a power to weight ratio !

Old 04-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
Yeah, I know... It wouldn't save much on the weight side...

Here's one for ya. I'm looking at purchasing the SCCA Sports Racer. 190 hp Mazda Renesis engine in a 900 lb car. Now that's a power to weight ratio !
That works out to a Crossfire being powered by 655 horsepower...YOWZA!

Old 04-15-2006, 12:35 AM

Thanks for doing the math... LOL

Quick Reply: Real Carbon Fiber For Our Crossfire's!!!