Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

High end speed

Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High end speed

I have a 2004 Crossfire Coupe with a six speed stick transmission. I find that out on the open road it is hard to hold it down to 80 mph. I find that many cars seem to be intimidated and act like they want to race. I was recently driving 80 mph and a Porsche pulled up on my right at the same time a pickup came up behind very fast and tailgated me in the fast lane. I temporarily went to 120, saw both cars far behind me so I slowed back down to 80. Shortly I noticed the Porsche on my right again. I then noticed a Highway Patrol approaching at a high rate of speed so I slowed down and pulled behind the Porsche. The patrol car went around me and pulled over the Porsche.

The upper end power on the Crossfire is awesome.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Default Re: High end speed

he pulled over the porsche when you were driving faster? talk about lucky for you.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HeHe... Timing is everything.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:15 PM

This is a rare and special day for you...pick Lotto numbers NOW!!!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 PM

I've wicked done that before, except i felt bad about mine. I was toying with a prelude. And we passed a cop going about 130, and i yanked my car over to the right and on an off ramp. He pulled over my other fellow blue wrx that was right behind us not going fast haha. But i got away. Haha But still felt bad.

YOU SIR, ARE LUCKY!

Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Talking Re: High end speed

I was on I-75, going north between Dayton and Tipp City where you have three lanes, a concrete wall on the left and no exits for a few miles. It was after midnight on a Thursday when I noticed a young 'dude' in a brand new Mustang GT beside me trying to initiate a race. There was no one else on the road and against my better judgment- let's see what she has in her.

He counted down and I pushed the pedal down enough to stay even with the GT. Around 110 I began to pull ahead, so I waved 'bye-bye" at him and put the pedal all the way down. I was surprised that you could actually feel the pull of the engine at this speed and I was over 125 very quickly leaving the GT as faded memory. I would have thought the GT would have put up more of a fight, or maybe it was just the 'dudes' unwillingness to back it up.

I am very impressed with the Crossfire's engine performance and how the car hunkered down and just wanted more. There were no vibrations, no float, just shear intent to move forward. Though I raced Karts (100 to 110 mph on a 1/2 mile oval) in my youth, I would like to get some additional training, take the Crossfire out on a road track, and really see what the both of us can do. Is there any place like this in the US?

Old 05-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: High end speed

I've been to 130 mph in the Crossfire twice, both time had no one on the freeway or little traffic but certainly no one around. The car is rock solid on the freeway.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:20 PM

Almost Lucky-
I was driving my Crossfire on the way to Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho at 120 and still accelerating when my radar went off...Trooper coming over a slight rise...slow way, way down...Trooper drives on by!

Next driving 85 in a 65 on Idaho near Mount Borah...radar goes off... ticketed for 85 in a 65 zone...$117 ticket.

Could have been much worse!

Old 05-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular

I just got my crossfire, I came from a lifted 4 banger tacoma, so the other day I wanted to see what it would do on the freeway...I got it up to 115, and was really impressed at how uneventful it was. I was afraid to go any faster because I was near an area where cops come around. I definitely think its good to wait til there is no one around and there are no on ramps though...

Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 PM

I found out that it hits 110 very quickly while pulling out of a rest area. The entry ramp is short, and it wasn't until I was in the right lane of I70 that I saw the semi looming up behind me. I punched it to stay in front and eased up when he was no longer bearing down. That's when I looked at the speedometer - 110 and rising. I backed off quick, didn't feel like I was going that fast.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:08 AM

I've taken my srt6 to 140, and I've also taken a base coupe up to 140. I'm surprised you guys back off so soon. In both cars the speed is remarkably unnoticeable (with the exception of the dash between the lanes that turns into a blur). I was especially impressed with the base coupe, because it seemed like it still had a lot of power left in it.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 AM

Minding my own bussiness at 80 when I passed a Honda S2000. He got on it and pulled up next to me. Well he did ok till 120 then it was over. At 145 he was in my mirror and fading.

I was impressed with the stability at that speed.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 AM

The Chrysler new car brochure says the Crossfire was designed and built to cruise the autobahn at 158 mph. It is a truly amazing automobile. We are all lucky as Crossfire owners to drive such a wonderfully engineered car.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:16 AM

I've hit top speed and took pictures, everytime i post them they get removed! It is very stable at high speed i took about 6 pictures. Here is photo on the way up.
How long will it last this time.

crossfire.jpg

Old 05-09-2006, 01:59 AM

Yeah, this car likes 80 mph.
He pulled over the Porche, because "it had to be the Porche" Right? LOL

Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 AM

porche? Is that how they spell porch in france?? Over here we park our porsche next to the porch or so we can look at it while we relax.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 AM

I love Kansas open roads ... 147... wife made me shut it down.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonybrogdon
The Chrysler new car brochure says the Crossfire was designed and built to cruise the autobahn at 158 mph. It is a truly amazing automobile. We are all lucky as Crossfire owners to drive such a wonderfully engineered car.
They sure did! I have run mine on the Autobahn at a whisker under 150 and it is rock solid.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 AM

i have passed cars on a two lane road at 85 mph and decided to see how fast i could get it up to...well i get her up to 151 mph and when i came back down to 90 mph it felt like i was going 20 mph...what a rush...i too have left a mustang gt in the dust. i love my srt6, great car!!!

Old 05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe yea this car is super stable at high speed... feels like it is snoozing at a buck twenty +
you guys want a rush ? i had my old turbo neon RT up to 148 (ECU limited to 143 unless you know how to remove the fuel/spark cut off) according to our GPS (speedo sensor output show fake low speed to fool the fuel/spark cut) and boy that was surprisingly stable too just not very snooze like... more like you go hyper sense and notice everything around you cause you realize there is so little protecting you at that speed in that size car. but that was when i was a few years younger and admittedly braver than i ought' a been (youthful invincibility complex)... i took the cross to 120 yesterday and quickly shut it down as the 3.0 A4 chasing me was losing ground so i saw no point to prove anything to sir "@ss raider" anymore...

Quick Reply: High end speed