Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Pulling the factory radio

Old 06-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the factory radio

How do you pull the trim panel around the factory radio? I am going to be installing XM radio.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Default Re: Pulling the factory radio

you need two special keys to pull the radio out. then you can access the screws that hold the surround in. Dealer may let you borrow them on the lot to pull your radio or you could buy you own.
http://www.beckerautosound.com/ click on the what's new tab. OEM Becker Radio removal keys, BNA-1184.989 ($1.76 set) Plus $5.00 small order handling fee.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by upstate
How do you pull the trim panel around the factory radio? I am going to be installing XM radio.
Sorry that I can't answer your question...but I am extremely interested in doing the same...but I also want to stay as close to stock looking, which I love, as possible. Trim pieces are usually held in with retaining clips. I know that the trim around my shift **** was popped up...not sure how...and I just pressed it back into place. So I would think a small thin rounded piece of metal, similar to a non-serrated
butter knife could do it. That's all I used to pop the radio trim on other Chryslers (Sebring and 300M). Let's hear from the experienced members. Several others have installed aftermarket radios.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have updated info on this or a how to for us DIYers?

Any help is appreciated, as always.

John

Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read post number 2, that's exactly how its done. I watched when they did my Alpine install. You have to use the keys which Rowdy has given you part numbers for.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markr6754
Sorry that I can't answer your question...but I am extremely interested in doing the same...but I also want to stay as close to stock looking, which I love, as possible. Trim pieces are usually held in with retaining clips. I know that the trim around my shift **** was popped up...not sure how...and I just pressed it back into place. So I would think a small thin rounded piece of metal, similar to a non-serrated
butter knife could do it. That's all I used to pop the radio trim on other Chryslers (Sebring and 300M). Let's hear from the experienced members. Several others have installed aftermarket radios.

Not so much.

In order to take the main trim rings / silver pieces off, you have to take the radio out. There are two screws holding the main silver piece together, only accessible by taking the radio out. They're on the front / top part where you slide the radio in.. kind of hard to explai but just run your fingers across the top edge where you insert the radio in and you'll feel them..

Once you remove these two screws, you can pull out on the entire silver console piece. My method is to open the ashtray and stick your fingers under the trim piece from the ashtray slot and pull, makes it much easier.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Found this on the forum a while back, and I want to thank and give credit to whoever posted it but I'm having a brain fart so please forgive me:

"Remove the radio by using a set of DIN tools. If you don't have a set, you can get them from sprawl mart or any other place that will have aftermarket radio stuff for a Mercedes or VW. They use the same DIN tools so they are fairly easy to find.

After you have the radio removed, there will be four screws at the very edge of the radio bezel. Two directly under the center vents, one above the ash tray and one above the lighter. Remove these being careful not to lose them behind the dash or under the seats as they can get away from you really easy.

Now that the screws are removed, pull on the radio bezel on the bottom part of the radio hole. Pull down and out. You may have to wiggle it around to get it out but there are tabs on the top so you need to try and pull it out from the bottom the best you can.

There are two tabs on the side of the switches that you can slide a credit card between the bezel and the back part of the dash if it is very tight and doesn't feel like it will come out but you probably won't need to do that.

After you get it loose, be careful not to mess up any of the wires for the switches as you are pulling it out.
To get the switches out, the easiest way to do it is to start on the outside with the seat heater switches and a flat head screwdriver and press on the switch as you press the tabs with the screwdriver. Do the top first on both sides and then the bottom. Don't pull them out too far, maybe a 1/4" tops. After you get some space in there, do the same for the blank and tow switches and then finally doing the traction control/hazard/lock switch. After you get them all out, you can lay the bezel aside.

Next, there are two screws under the vents that hold them in place. Remove them and remove the vent. You can pull the vent front face off by starting at the top right or left side and depress each of the little tabs while pushing the face away from the vent body. Work your way across the top and the two end tabs. You should then be able to pop the face plate out of the bottom tabs and remove it."

Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you soo much for the info, this will make the install a lot more smooth. I just wanted to let everyone know... I emailed Becker and asked for some radio keys and the guy simply asked for my address and shipped them to me, no money changed hands and he was really nice about it. I strongly recommend emailing them before buying a set :-)