Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Some of the old Crossfire owners are gone...

Old 11-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some of the old Crossfire owners are gone...

Yes it is true I have noticed several of the old (as in purchased their Crossfire in 2003 - 2004 - 2005) Crossfire owners have moved on... I find it sad that so many people started out with the idea they would never have another car after the Crossfire, but yet they traded for less and moved on... oh well I still got my Crossfire, but the wife is pushing me for one of those two seat Cadillacs... let me see at 78k compared to 29k, where does that leave me on a trade...

Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Default Re: Some of the old Crossfire owners are gone...

FUBAR for intents.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 AM

For all intents and purposes FUBAR.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FBD...it's the natural order of things. Some of us will be around for a while and others will come and go. If the car was supported by the company, you might see more people hang in with it, but given the discontinuation, there's gonna be a lot of changing hands here. The one good thing is that there is a boat load of information here for new folks. If nothing else, we need to keep this site alive.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: Some of the old Crossfire owners are gone...

A handful of the original members branched off and started their own site because of a lot of bickering and flaming that was going on about two years ago, and others simply moved on.

Yes, I agree, the 2 seat Cadillac you mention, the XLR is a sweet ride based on the Corvette chassis. They also have a newer model with more hp selling in the high $80's. I'd trade in a second for either model, one problem... $$$. Your wife has good taste!!!

See post #4 for some pics (the car looks much better in person).

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...&highlight=xlr

Hmmm, lets see now... if I sell the kids, cat, dog. boat and have the wife works "two" full time jobs, stops going to the beauty shop twice a month.,, on second thought... I'll just be satisfied I have a Crossfire.

Last edited by ben47; 11-04-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points Dave. I know when I got my Crossfire I said it would be a keeper but then again you don't know what's gonna happen 2-3 years down the road. So far I'm very happy with it. I've only had a few minor problems that are now corrected. I can understand FBD's frustration. I had a brand new '79 Corvette that was nothing but trouble from day one. It spent one week out of every month in the shop, and that was before they gave loaners. I owned it for a year and got rid of it. I was a solid GM fan up until then, now I'd have a hard time considering one.
I've seen 2 SLR's on the road. There's a silver one running around here since last summer and now a dark red. Its a knockout car but way out of my price range. I really only have two issues with the Crossfire, the lack of a spare ( I still don't trust the repair kit) and the winter driving. Fortunately I live less than a mile from work so the car sits in the garage until the streets are clean, a real bad winter might change my feelings but my PT's sat too so I'm used to getting out and walking if I have to. When I got the PT's I said it/they too would be a keepers. It was a unique looking car back in 2001 and there were few on the road. When everybody and their grandmother got them it started to be a turn off. Then came the ones with the mods that were pretty tacky (press on flames and chrome trim with a continental package in the deck lid?) so after 4 years of a Ltd and a GT I got tired of PT's. So far I haven't felt the least bit of interest in anything else (with the exception of a nice Big Bear Venom Pro Street bike kit). For right now I'm staying put.

Pat

Old 11-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

Are we sure some of them didn't just die of old age. Some of them really were old crossfire owners... maybe they just went to the other forum ?

Old 11-04-2006, 01:27 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That is morbid man...

Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll own my Xfire for at least the next 10 years hopefully. I keep my cars a minimum of 10 years. I've had my Porsche longer than that. As long as it keep running I'll keep driving it. I take really good care of my cars, I baby them. So far its worked for me.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be here for along time as well. I take good care of my ride, I like driving it, and it's paid off! I wouldn't relish the though of another car payment.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Some of the old Crossfire owners are gone...

I'll be here for at least six more months, that's how long mine will be in storage for until the nice weather returns.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:24 PM

7 more months for me. Then the day of liberation comes.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:07 PM

8 months for me, then evo or gto time.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be here for a LONG LONG time. ...Waiting for that Chrome Mesh Grille...

Old 11-05-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by x'ed
8 months for me, then evo or gto time.
I just bought a '05 RSX Type S to hold me over until I graduate. I am leaning towards a C5 Z06.

I wanted to buy yet another SRT-4 to hold me over, but could not find a decent local copy. I got the RSX for a steal. So I said what the hell.

Though the Evo 9 has got me thinking...

Old 11-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Forum Regular

xlr's are underpowered (320 hp, 310 lb-ft tq vs slk55: 355 hp, 376 lb-ft tq), and overpriced ($78k vs slk55 for only $63k) ... the interior looks like it should be on a $25k car not on a $80k car, the car looks good on the exterior with the top up, but put that top down, and it looks like a box without the top.

i was considering an xlr *when the xf is gone*, then i saw one and left the cadillac lot ASAP, went to the mb lot, and remembered why i enjoy the slk55.

as everyone is aware, i am currently selling the crossfire, purchased it in february, and put it for sell in july...obviously the xf isn’t my fav car.

Last edited by jp2005; 11-06-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Forum Regular

That SLK55 AMG is one of the best cars on the market for that price IMO. It's a gorgeous car with amazing performance and handling. I'd buy the 55 any day over the XLR.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
That SLK55 AMG is one of the best cars on the market for that price IMO. It's a gorgeous car with amazing performance and handling. I'd buy the 55 any day over the XLR.
and the xlr is the worst car in the market for that price...
that's the boat i am in decisions, decisions: slk55, gen 2 viper or lotus elise.

Last edited by jp2005; 11-06-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular

I worked for an exotic car dealership for a while and used to drive the elise on a daily basis. It's a very nice car, but I don't think it compares to the SLK55 or the viper. A few things I don't like about the elise: If you're a business person, you won't want to be getting in and out of the elise everyday with a suit on. It's a pain to climb in and out with the high door sill. Also, the elise is very race inspired and the options are few and far between and interior is very plain. It would be a good weekend driver though.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
I worked for an exotic car dealership for a while and used to drive the elise on a daily basis. It's a very nice car, but I don't think it compares to the SLK55 or the viper. A few things I don't like about the elise: If you're a business person, you won't want to be getting in and out of the elise everyday with a suit on. It's a pain to climb in and out with the high door sill. Also, the elise is very race inspired and the options are few and far between and interior is very plain. It would be a good weekend driver though.
i've hopped in and out of them i'm aware, you basically look like the girl from the exorcist every time, especially seeing as i'm right around 6'3"...the elise i love, the looks are what gets me, if it was only at least a 250 hp v6, my decision would be easy...the viper, if only they looked a little bit more exotic, my decision would be easy, and finally the slk55, if only they were a little faster, my decision would be easy

i find the faults of the cars that i want *and am considering*, and the reasons i don't want to get them, then i get the car that i feel lets me down the least.

Quick Reply: Some of the old Crossfire owners are gone...