Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

XF Values Are In the Toilet

Old 12-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF Values Are In the Toilet

Values of the XF continue to drop... '04 6-speed, in good condition, the
trade-in value is $16,635.

Any guess what it will be a year for now?

I'm glad I bought mine as a long term keeper...

Last edited by ben47; 12-31-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: XF Values Are In the Toilet

current auction prices at manheim are 14k for an '04.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ben47

Same here. I bought the mine to drive and enjoy for a long time. I have no plans to sell it so the market value is not a factor for me. But on the bright side, The driving fun factor is very high!

Old 12-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Forum Regular

ben47,

I think you have missed the point. Most of bought the Crossfire because we liked the styling, exclusivity and power (at least in the SRT-6). I believe that many of us plan on keeping our Crossfire for a long time and in the end will not be adversely affected by the early depreciation. Just my humble opinion.

Kevin

Old 12-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ben47

Any guess what it will be a year for now?

Originally Posted by kjmurphy
ben47,

I think you have missed the point. Most of bought the Crossfire because we liked
the styling, exclusivity and power (at least in the SRT-6). I believe that many of us plan on keeping our
Crossfire for a long time and in the end will not be adversely affected by the early depreciation. Just my
humble opinion.

Kevin
Nope, I did not miss the point at all... reread my post. I only stated the low Crossfire value according to KBB,
and asked what people think it would be in another year.

My last statement was, "I'm glad I bought mine as a long term keeper..."

How did I miss the point?

Last edited by ben47; 12-31-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance the reason the crossfire has such a bad resale value is because of the service from dealers are really poor? I don't see why it should fall to such low price.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Any chance the reason the crossfire has such a bad resale value is because of the service from dealers are really poor? I don't see why it should fall to such low price.
well that's partially it... I think it is more to be blamed on the poor marketing techniques and the fact that very very few people know what is under the hood and where the car is made... to make it simple few people are willing to buy a benz under a chrysler name.. even though the price... yea the MSRP price... was more than fair.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 PM

In considering one I found what everyone is already aware of, the values are in a steep decline. The Crossfire is not a highly sought model because of its specialized niche and, for the most part, dealers don't want any part of them. (However, one Chrysler dealership was willing to take an order for a new '07 for Spring delivery so they appear to be making a return. They also said they weren't going to order any to have on the lot so I doubt the market is going to get flooded with '07's).

In light of the uncertainty surrounding this model I'm considering a Mustang GT convertible to be a safer option. The Crossfire is a very, very nice car. If it would have passed the golf clubs in the trunk test it would be an easy choice to pick one up at these fire sale prices.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Forum Regular

ben47,

Missed that last line. I thought this was just another rant about the declining resale value of the Crossfire. Glad to see that you are keeping yours for the long-term.

Kevin

Old 12-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing I leased!

Old 12-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good thing I bought...I'm keeping mine...don't care what resale is!

Old 12-31-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Good thing I bought...I'm keeping mine...don't care what resale is!
Same here... People that ask me about the car think that its worth alot more, if they only know what they can pick one up for...

Last edited by acrispy1; 12-31-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Forum Regular

I also bought mine to keep.

By the time I'm ready to sell, it will be a collectors' item.

(keep in mind that I'm using the term "collector's item" with no relation to its value or real worth)

Old 12-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also planning to keep mine for a long time. The problem with the 04' and 05's is poor marketing on the part of DC. What I'm referring to is supply vs demand. DC over estimated demand and had to offer heavy discounts and low lease payments to finally sale all the cars in dealer inventory. Which in turn lowers resale values.
Just my 02.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Forum Regular

If it would have passed the golf clubs in the trunk test it would be an easy choice to pick one up at these fire sale prices.
My clubs fit. Just have to take the drivers out of my bag. LOL.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:23 PM

As most of you may know I just traded my XF for a Vette. I was afraid I would only get $15K for it but managed $16,500. It's hard to explain but I was happy and PO'ed at the same time. I gave $27K for it nearly 1.5 years ago. Did I loose my ***? No doubt but it would have only have gotten worse if I would have waited until '07. If the XF would have held its value like most cars I would have gotten maybe $20K for it. I feel I only lost about $3,500.

The dealer I bought our Vette from also sales Crossfires. I asked him why the XF seem to be such a problem child. He answered, "They just won't move off the lot." He also told me that he sold the last '04 SRT6 two weeks earlier which he had for two years.

Here we have a car that has great styling and is built well but won't sell. I just don't understand why.

Maybe after the XF's are off the market for a while the value will stabilize.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne1992
Here we have a car that has great styling and is built well but won't sell. I just don't understand why.
One word -- "Chrysler." If it was called a Mercedes, which it really is but with a much handsomer skin, then it would sell, hold its value, and be properly serviced. But it's a Chrysler, you see, and everyone knows that Chrysler doesn't make sports cars, right? And that's the problem in a nutshell -- the brand, not the car. Instead of polishing and promoting its "halo," Chrysler allowed it to tarnish through outright neglect. Mazda knew what to do with its Miata, and even GM is doing more with its Solstice/Sky. But Chrysler and its Crossfire? The company did nothing at all for a vehicle that is superior to those three models. Karmann is an acknowledged quality builder; the SLK mechanicals are tried and tested in the real world; our members are smart and loyal buyers; but Chrysler apparently couldn't care less. This is a textbook case of how to destroy a good product, IMHO.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:49 PM

Here's a contrasting tale. When my Accord lease was almost up dealerships were hot to buy me out early regardless of whether or not I went with another Honda.

I did end up trying out the new '06 Civic but it is too smallish and about 100 hp short. As I've been looking to move this Honda I've run into a couple dealerships that can't take it in because trade-in is still within $500 of what I paid 16,000 miles and 14 months ago. They figure people will buy a new one if they can find one.

I guess the point is that cars don't have to plummet in value, but those that don't can still be a little tough to move.

Everyone has their own buttons that get pushed when considering a car. For me, I always take resale into consideration as I like to change 'toys' more frequently than most.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Well seeing as I keep my cars for years and years this doesn't affect me. So yeah, I don't care as I enjoy my Xfire a lot!

Old 12-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't care about the resale value, its the terrible rattles that I now have all of a sudden that are killing me. I can't figure out where they are coming from either which makes it worse.

Quick Reply: XF Values Are In the Toilet