Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Finally got to test drive a Crossfire.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got to test drive a Crossfire.

Well, I finally made it to the local dealer (chevy) who had an '05 convertible w/auto that he took as a trade in. The car was beautiful. Red metallic with a cream color leather interior. He's had it for a few weeks and I got the feeling that I could have picked it up for a pretty good price. He was asking 24.5k. I took it for a nice long and hard test drive (I noticed the salesman was really white knuckled ). Unfortunately, that is where my love affair with the xfire ended. I was so disappointed in the performance (or lack of) of this car. Hell, my new Silverado would eat this thing up in a straight line! While it did seem to do ok in the cornering aspect, without that put your butt into the seat acceleration, it is missing a most important part of being a sports car. I could opt for the SRT6 but for that price I could just get back into a nice fast, well handling Corvette. If I were married, I'd buy this car in a heartbeat for the wife as a nice grocery getter. I guess if I had never owned any other sports car, maybe, I would have thought different. But as I stated before, I have owned many Vettes and a couple Porsches and the Crossfire doesn't hold a candle to them.

Sorry guys. Its a cool little car, but just not my cup of tea.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Default Re: Finally got to test drive a Crossfire.

Its not a horsepower machine. Its a comfortable, classy, 2-seater with great handling and some pep.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Arcrist
Its not a horsepower machine. Its a comfortable, classy, 2-seater with great handling and some pep.
I agree with you 100%! But I was hoping for a little more "pep".

Old 04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zeek
Well, I finally made it to the local dealer (chevy) who had an '05 convertible w/auto that he took as a trade in. The car was beautiful. Red metallic with a cream color leather interior. He's had it for a few weeks and I got the feeling that I could have picked it up for a pretty good price. He was asking 24.5k. I took it for a nice long and hard test drive (I noticed the salesman was really white knuckled ). Unfortunately, that is where my love affair with the xfire ended. I was so disappointed in the performance (or lack of) of this car. Hell, my new Silverado would eat this thing up in a straight line! While it did seem to do ok in the cornering aspect, without that put your butt into the seat acceleration, it is missing a most important part of being a sports car. I could opt for the SRT6 but for that price I could just get back into a nice fast, well handling Corvette. If I were married, I'd buy this car in a heartbeat for the wife as a nice grocery getter. I guess if I had never owned any other sports car, maybe, I would have thought different. But as I stated before, I have owned many Vettes and a couple Porsches and the Crossfire doesn't hold a candle to them.

Sorry guys. Its a cool little car, but just not my cup of tea.
An SRT6 can be had for 25k. You can get a Vette for that?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 PM

Huh? You're comparing a Crossfire to Corvettes and Porsche's? Why not just compare it to a Ferrari? Lets be honest, a Crossfire is no closer to a Porsche than my PT Cruiser is. If that's your baseline, then you're definitely looking at the wrong car. I just picked up a 2005 Limited w/ 6,300 miles on it for $18,000. Where else can you get a car like this for such little money? It's a solid bargain for the price. To each their own.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chrysler Frank
Huh? You're comparing a Crossfire to Corvettes and Porsche's? Why not just compare it to a Ferrari? Lets be honest, a Crossfire is no closer to a Porsche than my PT Cruiser is. If that's your baseline, then you're definitely looking at the wrong car. I just picked up a 2005 Limited w/ 6,300 miles on it for $18,000. Where else can you get a car like this for such little money? It's a solid bargain for the price. To each their own.
Damn! That's an amazing deal. You live right. AT or 6-speed?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mediacritic
Damn! That's an amazing deal. You live right. AT or 6-speed?
Auto - Gray with red interior. Just had it two weeks now. Love it.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The crossfire is good for about a 15 sec 1/4.
If you need more than that keep looking.
Also note the crossfire throttle learns your driving patterns. If the previous owner drove it like a sissy it will feel very laggy.
You could reset the throttle and try again.

I still want gears.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 PM

Yeah, it's definitely not a muscle car by today's standards. Neither is a 350z, boxter, etc. The srt-6 falls closer to the muscle car category.

Yet, the xfire would clock down the freeway at speed much nicer than your silverado and handle a windy road with admiration. It's definitely more of a GT car. I read complaints about it's storage space, but it seems to be about the best in category. The rx-8 or g35 coupe are the only two I can think are better (at least w/o anyone in the backseat).

I have a miata, it's painfully slow - by today's standards. Yet I'm still trying to get the best out of it autocrossing. BTW, the fastest guy in town drives a stock spyder (which is just slightly faster than the miata in a straight line). He regularly beats porsches, corvettes, and the exotics.

Maybe you should look into one of those new hemi daytona's. They are fast and have big brembo brakes. Great for flooring it and being able to stop at the next light. It's kind of heavy for a good windy road, but I'm sure if you're crazy enough it'll make most people white knuckled.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Forum Regular

zeek you say your silverado would eat the crossfire...i call...
bs

a stock silverado ss runs high 14s to mid 15s and goes 0-60 mph in 6.3 seconds.

a m6 crossfire runs anywhere from 5.9-6.5 0-60 mph, and runs anywhere from 14.6 to mid 15's...so how the hell could your silverado "eat this thing up in a straight line".

none of us are saying the crossfire is fast, but your silverado sure as hell isn't faster...i, and i know quite a bit of the other forum members, don't rely on it to be our speed demon, that's why we own fast cars, and even faster bikes.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:01 AM
RPM

Maybe his Silverado has mods - don't know. I've never driven a non-SRT Crossfire, so I can't say.
I did have a 2001 Silverado Z71 regular cab w/the 5.3L V8. I think it had ~285 HP stock and I put a Jet chip on it and used a Hypertech PowerProgrammer on it. It was fairly mean - for a big heavy truck.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by stryfox
The crossfire is good for about a 15 sec 1/4.
If you need more than that keep looking.
Also note the crossfire throttle learns your driving patterns. If the previous owner drove it like a sissy it will feel very laggy.
You could reset the throttle and try again.

I still want gears.
It can do 14's. I could have gotten mid 14's out of it if the damn traction control stopped interfering. Every time I got a good launch, BAM!, TC...cut throttle. I am sure I could have clocked off a 14.6 or 14.7.

But to the original poster...You're right. The vette is the way to go.

Any you can easily get a vette for 25k. I was actually buying a 2002 Vette vert A4 with 20k on it for 26k OTD, no trade. The ******* GM got wind of the deal and decided to auction the car for $800 more.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Forum Regular

bullseye, why do you have traction control on at a dragstrip turn that off, and learn to launch the car perfect, and you can pull mid 14's all day.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL nice troll post.

First of all the Crossfire is not as slow as lots of the trolls and others would have you believe. In fact its not slow at all. Is it a light to light racer? No but it more than handles with other sports cars out there. Saying otherwise is a fat out lie.

Secondly the entire package of the Crossfire is what makes it desirable not to mention the drop dead good looks. More of a GT than a true sports car IMO.

Thirdly I have owned several Porsches including a 2000 Boxster, '90 964, '91 S2, And an '93 968. The Crossfire handles as well as any of them if not better, and has more get up and go than all of them except the '90 Carrera. Not to mention that it has a well thought out interior and is more comfortable.

Sure you can buy an S2000 or 350Z or Infiniti G35. Or a 400 hp vette. More power to you, I purchased my Crossfire because it offered an entire package that I liked better than the G35 and 350z I test drove. Those cars had more power but were lacking to me in rarity, comfort, and overall ergonomics. Not to mention everybody and their grandmother has one. I was looking for something more rare.

So in closing, once again the base crossfire gets bagged on by someone who never really intended to get the car to begin with and just wants to point out to us how he could beat me from one stop light to another in a car with 100 more horsepower. Bravo sir, bravo on your no prize victory.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Forum Regular

the silverado would be eating dust against any xf, i've had several rednecks with their trucks eating my dust since i got my xf.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by jp2005
bullseye, why do you have traction control on at a dragstrip turn that off, and learn to launch the car perfect, and you can pull mid 14's all day.
The button was pushed off. But thanks to MB. The T/C just lessens, it actually never turns off. With it on full boat, forget about it.

I cut a damn 2.0 60' on one run then bam, like I hit a brick wall. My goal was to run 14's and I did. So I was happy. I have no intentions of ever bring the XF back.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Forum Regular

Zeek. for 25k you can get a new SRT6. A new corvette is closer to 50k. Although the vette is faster, the SRT6 costs about half and is more reliable than the vette. I think its the best deal out there.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Bullseye those are pretty sweet wheels on your Xfire.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular

bulleye who's chest is that?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am not a rookie at the drag strip and the best time I got with some mods was 14.9
Stock was 15.1 (coupe limited auto).
I would like to know how to get a 14.6. Pleas enlighten us.

Quick Reply: Finally got to test drive a Crossfire.