Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

To tint or not to tint, that is the question...

Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To tint or not to tint, that is the question...

I have a Blue - Ltd roadster.

What do you guys think? I'm stuck on this.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Default Re: To tint or not to tint, that is the question...

I got my coupe tinted the first weekend I had it. 20% 3M tint. Looks great. I will never have an un-tinted car again. It looks better, the sun is less in your eyes, keeps the car cooler, protects against UV rays, and it makes you less visible so you can pick your nose in private.

Last edited by Romio; 04-19-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:36 AM
EWD

Totally agree with Romio. I actually bought my Xfire with the 3M 20%.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Default Re: To tint or not to tint, that is the question..

I also got a warranty for $40. If my window breaks and has to be repaired they put it back on free. Or if I get a police repair order they will take it off for free then I get tested and pass my repair, then they will put them all back on for another $50. I paid a lot for mine, but it's worth it, also with my antenna in the rear window, you have to go with a rubber based tint like 3M so it doesn't affect your radio reception.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Romio
I got my coupe tinted the first weekend I had it. 20% 3M tint. Looks great. I will never have an un-tinted car again. It looks better, the sun is less in your eyes, keeps the car cooler, protects against UV rays, and it makes you less visible so you can pick your nose in private.
I think 20% is too dark for my taste. IMO 30% is the level I would consider if I tinted my windows. Maybe I don't pick my nose as much.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:58 AM

I used to have 30% on my old car. My sister had 20% on her car and i thought it was too dark, so i went with the next stage, and i didn't like it. I love my tints now. They are dark on the outside, but barely affect my view from the inside. Except sometimes if i'm turning left or right ontop a dark road since i don't have my headlights to shine over there yet it can be really dark. But that's the only con i can think other than police.

20%

30%

50%

Last edited by Romio; 04-19-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Must TINT!!
I have 50% (legal limit in Ohio) and just right!!!
DO IT!

Last edited by Fritzauf; 04-19-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Has anyone tinted a roadster? There doesn't seem like much to tint. Did you tint the rear window?

Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM

Epp. The legal in Maryland is 35%. But either way if you have any aftermarket tint you need to get it vertified from the MVA. Well that’s at least what the cop and the guy at my local inspection place. He wouldn't pass my old car because of the 35% tint, but he said if MVA certifies it he can pass it. Also i got pulled over for no plate and cop asked about my tints, i told him they were 35%, and showed him the paper from the tint place they said they were 35% even though they are 20%. So he let me go with a warning, but told me i needed to get it certified. But he let me go with 2 warning on the tint and non front plate since i told him the car was new and i didn't have time to do either.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 PM

RE: Roadster tinting.

I tinted the first one! 5% and thought that was a little too dark and had the 2nd one tinted @ 20% which is perfect. I did not do the rear window on either xfire. With the windscreen, there are already to many reflection ghosts and visibility is not the best to begin with, plus i have had other rear window tints where the defogger lines were cut and I just didn't think it was necessary.

The tinting makes a big big difference when the sun is beating in on you.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
...plus i have had other rear window tints where the defogger lines were cut and I just didn't think it was necessary.
Sheesh, that just sounds like poor quality labor, no reason they should mess up the defogger lines. I have had 2 cars tinted with rear defoggers with 0 problems. Plus a few family members, and a bunch of my friends.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:13 PM

I have 5% all the way around, and I have the windshield tinted 35%. I love it, with my car being black it makes it look that much better. This wouldn't be legal, but I was "lucky" enough to be badly burned and have skin graphs, so I can't be in the sun for while.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM

wow, i don't know what to say to that.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:40 PM

Agree, it was poorly done on the rear window. This happened or 5 years ago. Interestingly, when I had the Xfires tinted, he replaced the rear tinting on the MB for free. The owner scratched his head as he couldn't understand why this had happened to the defogger.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macavelli24
I have 5% all the way around, and I have the windshield tinted 35%. I love it, with my car being black it makes it look that much better. This wouldn't be legal, but I was "lucky" enough to be badly burned and have skin graphs, so I can't be in the sun for while.
Wow for new york that is really pushing it as New York does not allow tinting of at all without a medical or special vehicle... I live in New Jersey right now and my area has some of the most strict officer probably in the entire country... and if I was to tint I would tint all around including the windshield as to me it looks uneven if the windshield is not tinted... I would go with a tint of about 50% as anything lower detracts from visibility...

But yea I have driven a 7 series with a similar 5% all the way around and 35% on the windshield setup and it was not fun... I had to put down my front windows to see anything that is behind me or to my sides... all in the russian winter...

If you are deciding whether to tint or not there are a few things that you should consider....

- Law enforcement - do you expect cops to be on your back? depending on area and state law..
- Visibility - Depending on the % of the tint you purchase it will retract from your visibility a 5% might look better, but is much harder to see out of than a 35%...
- Why Hide? I like being seen in my crossfire and I do not have an ugly face to hide... don’t pick my nose... and basically am not hiding anything... I like people looking at me...
- Color - tint is now offered in different colors with reflections and what not...
- Benefits - UV blocking protects interior and keeps the car cooler... other than that I can't really think of much... but that in it's own can make it very worthy of a purchase...

I suggest man you do some reading on the legal laws of your state and take into consideration... and if you do decide to tint be aware that depending on your area you may not pass inspection and you may ticketed for it... in New jersey if you have the front windshield tinted and get into a car crash in some situation the other side of the argument can state that your visibility was impaired during the crash and it was willingly impaired... might loose the argument here even if the crash was not your fault...

Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Yeah I have a little sticker that I got from the DMV, it goes next to my inspection and registration stickers.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 PM

I like having the tints because it makes me mysterious. If you have no tints and you just see someone sitting there driving it just "alright", but if you see the car rolling, and can’t see anyone i think its much better. Clear windows look bad. Plus usually when i’m driving slow i leave my window about 50% down.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Romio
I like having the tints because it makes me mysterious. If you have no tints and you just see someone sitting there driving it just "alright", but if you see the car rolling, and can't see anyone i think its much better. Clear windows look bad. Plus usually when i’m driving slow i leave my window about 50% down.
Who is that man behind the tinted windows???

Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM

i dunno but the real question is... how much for that doggie in the window?

Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Is 35% too much? I went ahead and told my guy to do it, but tint law in NYC is 70%.
A) I don’t feel like getting pulled over the way I used to with my 20%'s.
B) I want a natural / Dealership look - nothing too hardcore.

It might be too late to cancel and get 50%'s, do share your thoughts.

I'm not afraid to admit, i was actually muscled into the tints. I dropped my car off to get a dent popped out, and before I knew it, this guy was talking about tints, and I pretty much fell for his sales trap. lol.

Quick Reply: To tint or not to tint, that is the question...