Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Donut Spare for Crossfire

Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Donut Spare for Crossfire

It would screw things up - but you could drive the car to someplace to get help, which is not an option with no spare at all. A few years ago I got snow tires for a Mustang and the idiot put the wrong sized tires on it. Whenever I floored it the traction control would kick on - not a good way to go, but if you took it easy I think it might do OK.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put together a sheet of info on some various Crossfire tire issues, including snow tires issues & a comparison of the 155/70-17 donut spare to the stock tires sizes.

I wonder if the 1/2" difference is enough to freak out the traction control, even if you turn off ESP?

Also, since the owner's manual suggests smaller rear tires (as a pair) for the rear axle when you put snow tires on, how sensitive will the traction control really be?

The data sheet is in my user gallery, but the conversion to .jpg made it less than attractive.

So, I put it up on my web hosting account as a .gif and a .pdf.

Crossfire Tire Info Sheet in .gif form

Crossfire Tire Info Sheet in .pdf form

Last edited by Display_Name; 07-09-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are 5x112 bolt pattern, I think new jettas are the same.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 PM

My wife ran over a large rock and killed her tire. Luckily she was about a half mile from a tire place and able to drive it in without too much damage. I'm willing to buy a different sized donut just to get the car home if it happens at a late hour. I'm sure having something that is a little off isn't going to do any damage. All car manufacturer's give you that dinky spare and most cars have traction control and stability features.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Be sure to let us know how that goes. You should stop by a Mercedes dealership and see about buying an SLR spare.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Trimmer
Hi, I'm a new member, just joined, had my crossfire SRT6 about 2 months . I did my research for a spare tire for the crossfire, and I found one that fits all crossfires perfectly. It's a donut. It comes off an '04 SLK 500 Mercedes. The size of the donut tire is 155/70/17-inch. I have put it on the front and back of the crossfire - works perfectly. And it fits perfectly in the back luggage area where a tire is supposed to fit. It is the perfect height to work on both the front and back. You can call me the "Flat Tire God."

Cheers,
Jim.
If anyone has a donut floating around in their trunk in case they have a flat, may never need it if they are in an accident. That wheel would become a missile inside the car, anyone in its way would be flat themselves. They would be seeing the real God not the tire god.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfreak
My wife ran over a large rock and killed her tire. Luckily she was about a half mile from a tire place and able to drive it in without too much damage. I'm willing to buy a different sized donut just to get the car home if it happens at a late hour. I'm sure having something that is a little off isn't going to do any damage. All car manufacturer's give you that dinky spare and most cars have traction control and stability features.
Ran over a screw myself. Didn't know it at the time, just knew I had 0 PSI in my right rear. Drove it completely flat about 2 1/2 blocks to my local gas station and filled it back up. Drove it very slowly down alleys there- less than 4 mph. Rim was fine. From what I've been told, at least by members here, is that the rim happens to be bullet-proof... well not literally, but they can take a beating and not show any signs of damage. Still recommend not doing it though... as most people would.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who cares about the computer monitoring. It is just a temporary wheel to get you to the nearest location to have the flat fixed. I don't intend to keep mine on and neither should any of you. That's what donut spares are for. I'm sure we could be handy ourselves and create some kind of tie down to keep the spare in place.

Last edited by Mimi05SRT6; 12-12-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:02 AM

Mimi05srt6
'I'm sure we could be handy ourselves and create some kind of tie down to keep the spare in place.'

You see my point, no one mentions holding the tire down. this tie down would have to be similar to regular methods, which may be tough to do.
After all who wants to be overtaken by their own tire inside the car.

shapeshifter309
I would imagine that the sidewalls of your tires are pretty damaged, maybe to the extent of rubber 'dust' floating around inside, it happened to one of my tires when it slowly went flat and my hand hid the TPS light on the dash. The tire was scrapped as there was a good handful of 'dust' inside the tire. I hope you had the inside of the sidewalls inspected, these could be dangerous to you and others. Radials are notoriously weak when flexure of the sidewalls occurs like this. As long as the rim does not touch the road it would be OK, the tire is a different matter.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-12-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 AM

I don't concern myself about a spare tire. I am used to not having one. None of my motorcycles have spares..just an inflate kit with goop....as the Crossfire..

Old 12-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree, doesn't take long to ruin the sidewall. I picked-up a puncture on a brand new tire minutes after leaving the Tire Shop. I managed to pull over within a block of the TPM system light coming on , but too late to save the tire. Luckily the Tire Shop replaced it under the Road Hazard Warranty!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Forum Regular
Exclamation Re: Donut Spare for Crossfire

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If anyone has a donut floating around in their trunk in case they have a flat, may never need it if they are in an accident. That wheel would become a missile inside the car, anyone in its way would be flat themselves. They would be seeing the real God not the tire god.
Of course, that's true for anything being carried in the rear cargo area without being retained, unless it is too large to come through to the front!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Forum Regular

Doesn't matter. I actually don't have the TPS on mine. Base model. Came without a lot the goodies that you fellas (and gals) have, like cupholder , seat heaters , TPS , automatic trans , leather seats.

And as for the tire, I didn't drive on it much after that. Had less than 2/32 of thread left and winter was coming. Needed new ones anyways...sooooo.... I got them.

(That's a lot of smilies)

Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Forum Regular

Are "Run Flat" tires available for the Crossfire? And at what price?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Forum Regular

i thought that if the car doesn't come from the factory with a spare it is likely equipped with run flats.

Last edited by Mr. F; 12-13-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. F
i thought that if the car doesn't come from the factory with a spare it is likely equipped with run flats.
These are not run flats, unknowingly I run a rear tire quite flat and it was toast,we have a repair kit in the trunk. Unless you are desperate it would be better not to use this kit. All that crap has to be taken out of the tire and if you have a large gash I doubt it would do much good anyway.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
These are not run flats, unknowingly I run a rear tire quite flat and it was toast,we have a repair kit in the trunk. Unless you are desperate it would be better not to use this kit. All that crap has to be taken out of the tire and if you have a large gash I doubt it would do much good anyway.
Well, it may still with a large gash. It's not a tire patch/repair/whatever kit. It fills the inside of the tire with this foamy crap. What I've heard is that it ruins the tire if you use it, however. Again, another reason I drove flat to a gas station.