Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Lubricating hinges/latches

Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lubricating hinges/latches

Okay, so page 223 of the Xfire owners manual specifies which hinges and latches need to be lubricated, and with what lubricant. There are two types: Mopar white spray, and Mopar multipurpose lube with a bunch of letters/numbers after it. I was at the dealer yesterday for my $120 oil change and I stopped by the parts department to buy a spray can of both lubes.

First I used the Mopar white spray on the passenger door hinges/latches as specified in the owner's manual. They aren't kidding, that spray is WHITE. It looks like someone flung a tablespoon full of cool whip at every spot I lubricated. It's terrible. I was expecting the white to disappear over time, but it's just turned a sick yellowish now. After that, I halted the use of the white spray and continued with the multipurpose lube.

The multipurpose lube is clear, might better. I want to use the multipurpose lube for the spoiler and driver's side door now, even though the owner's manual specifically says to use the white spray.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Default Re: Lubricating hinges/latches

I know that our XF's are "different" and everything about them seems to be "special" but when it comes to lubricating hinges and latches I can't believe that it makes one bit of difference. I use whatever can of gun oil that I happen to be using this season but I'm sure that good old 3 in 1 oil or a drop of Mobil 1 would do the job.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular

The spoiler on my Limited squeaks from time to time. When it acts up, I put a dab of Permatex White Lithium Grease (#80345) on the joints. I got it at Autozone for less than $5. Works great.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 486 Likes on 337 Posts

WD-40 has worked for years. A little every month and you are set.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can wipe off the extra spray white grease. Spray on, open and close the doors a few times and wipe off the rest. Very little actually gets into what needs to lubed. Any grease you can see isn't doing any thing and can be wiped off.