Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Taking corners fast...in the rain.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking corners fast...in the rain.

So before today, I had never pushed my car in the corners too much because I never had an opportunity - I live in the midst of Copville. But this morning I took one of those circular exit ramps, with no one in front of me...and I nailed it. The first 5 seconds I had that lovely adrenaline rush, then it tightened up into near panic. My previous car, a ZX2, could NOT corner. It leaned like a pile of Jell-o and broke loose in the rear all the time. So this was possibly the fastest lean I had ever taken, at about 65. In the rain.

When I got to the bottom, slowed down and straightened out, I realized how much noise my tires had been making and how white-knuckled I was. Damn I love this car.

So a question - yeah these tires are fairly good for my kind of driving, but if anyone has put aftermarket tires on, which do you prefer? I drive her gently most of the time, but I like being able to corner hard.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Default Re: Taking corners fast...in the rain.

don't panic hehe. but i gotta say i like the stock tires for everyday driving.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:50 AM

My SRT6 scared the CRAP out of me the other day, on dry pavement.

I was taking a left turn onto a highway overpass and the light was turning yellow so I gave it a little extra gas hoping to do a minor 'drift' around the corner like I normally would in my mustang.

Well, the car didn't like it at all...and as soon as the car started to slide, the ESP kicked in the brakes and slowed me down WAY too fast, upsetting the planned 'drift' and moving me over a whole lane.

I'm wondering if this ESP would've been more hurtful than helpful had it been wet? It was rather violent with the sudden jolt of slowing down...makes me wonder!

Lesson learned - if you can drive, turn the ESP off! Years of racing karts, a few runs in an F1 car, several Mustangs and LS1 powered vehicles...I thought I could handle a simple overpass at about 40! SRT6 didn't like it! lol

I am using the Conti tires, for what it is worth...and I like them just as well or better than the Pilots that were on the Limited I traded in for the SRT.

SQ

Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM

You know, I didn't even think of that. My car is automatic so true drifting is out but thankfully the pavement was wet, otherwise I may have had a problem. I'll have to go someplace where I can't hurt myself or the car and see what happens when I try that.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by AimeeJ
You know, I didn't even think of that. My car is automatic so true drifting is out but thankfully the pavement was wet, otherwise I may have had a problem. I'll have to go someplace where I can't hurt myself or the car and see what happens when I try that.
For the record, it was late at night and no one was around...I wouldn't have tried to slide around the corner if there was any traffic.

Also - I like the contis as much as, or better than my pilots...but, my pilots had almost 25k miles on them and were in need of replacing. That could've had a lot to do with their ride and handling characteristics that I didn't like much.

SQ

Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM

The stock ones I've got have about 12,000 on them now, but they don't look worn at all, and they still stick like glue to everything. I am looking into tires now so that in a few months I can replace them. Conti's reasonably priced? Since I tend to take corners hard and such I wear tires pretty quick.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are the tires to get... good price and top of the line performance, besides they look good...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea don't do that in the rain .... can't predict what will happen cause rain does strange things to the road, like bring up oils that were originally in the asphalt making slicks in some areas and not in others.

but overall, in the dry, gain speed before corner entry, traction control off, foot off gas entering corner, foot on gas midway through all the way exiting the corner = some hard G's ...

Old 09-21-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
I'm wondering if this ESP would've been more hurtful than helpful had it been wet? It was rather violent with the sudden jolt of slowing down...makes me wonder!

Lesson learned - if you can drive, turn the ESP off! Years of racing karts, a few runs in an F1 car, several Mustangs and LS1 powered vehicles...I thought I could handle a simple overpass at about 40! SRT6 didn't like it! lol
If there's one SERIOUS thing I don't like about this car, it's the ESP. I turn it off every time I get in the car.

As for tires, I love the Kumho MX. Can't be beat for the money and they out perform tires that are MUCH more expensive.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Life is random...so am I.

You really are better off doing these kinds of activities with the TC system turned off! It is a little alarming counter-steering when the TC kicks in! With it off, it really only kicks in to save your A*S on high speed sweepers like E-way ramps!

On the other hand...with the TC disabled...you are much more likely to just go around in a circle when you get carried away!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Forum Regular

Looked at all the tire from everyone, read all the forums - finally went with Goodyear F1's. So far they seem to work well, not much road noise; and hold in the rain. There are a couple roads around here that cut thru the Shenandoah Mtns. - posted MPH turns - could push the turns at 40 in my Jag X - the Xfire is a feeling of joy - too busy to notice how fast 55+ - it was great 2 weeks ago an Audi A4 was following me until the curves - then I was gone - took off - no Audi no mo.