Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cutting a new Key?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting a new Key?

Just spoke to a dealer and they want $143 for a new Key/Remote. Have seen them on ebay uncut for around $50. Has anyone attempted to have a locksmith cut a key? Also has anyone tried a MB dealer for a key and what are there prices?
Have seen the posts on programming, would attempt that myself as it's another $44 from the "stealer".

Peace,
Charlie V

Old 10-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Default Re: Cutting a new Key?

Hi, I recently lost one of my keys. I went to the local Chrysler dealer and ordered a new key. They told me that it had to come from Germany. The cost was $69. The final cost was around $74. I gave them my Vin#. It came within a week, already programmed. The remote worked from the start.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered an extra key from Chrysler Dealer a while ago in San Francisco, CA. The entire key fob cost around $65. Chrysler actually order the key from MB. It comes pre-programmed and pre-cut directly from MB (of coz they need the VIN#). Since Chrysler did not cut or program it, they cannot charge any service fee, so the final cost to me was $65.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the key is produced in Texas not Germany, though the German made keys that originally came with the crossfire are of much better quality than the new ones sold thru Chrysler now.

I just purchased a new one a year ago and man, what a piece of junk. I wish I could find a locksmith that can cut new keys.

But the problem with the ebay key is that transmitter will not work with your car. Just spend the $120 at the dealer and get a new key ordered.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM

The transmitter does work you can reprogram it do a search there are instructions on this site of how to do it.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Actually the key is produced in Texas not Germany, though the German made keys that originally came with the crossfire are of much better quality than the new ones sold thru Chrysler now.

I just purchased a new one a year ago and man, what a piece of junk. I wish I could find a locksmith that can cut new keys.

But the problem with the ebay key is that transmitter will not work with your car. Just spend the $120 at the dealer and get a new key ordered.
If you buy one from E Bay it will work if you get an FCC KR55. You can get these in black with the Mercedes logo as well.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
If you buy one from E Bay it will work if you get an FCC KR55. You can get these in black with the Mercedes logo as well.
What is an FCCKR55???? oh is this it; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...QQcmdZViewItem

The ebay key fob has been attempted already, Yes I understand we can program our key but only a fresh new one from the dealer. The guys that did the ebay transmitter reprogram said it ain't gonna happen. Prove me wrong because I'd love to have a new transmitter...

Last edited by Maxwell; 10-29-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks all, for the advice. To those who have recently had keys "made", could you please post the names and numbers of the dealers you went to? I'm going to try another dealer today, I'll report on the price difference if any.

Peace,
Charlie V

Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM

What is an FCCKR55???? oh is this it; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...QQcmdZViewItem

The ebay key fob has been attempted already, Yes I understand we can program our key but only a fresh new one from the dealer. The guys that did the ebay transmitter reprogram said it ain't gonna happen. Prove me wrong because I'd love to have a new transmitter..
Yea that one would work as well, except that one says Sprinter on it. If I went the ebay route, it would be a brand new "fresh" three button Mercedes key with FCC KR55. I have seen them on Ebay from time to time.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Well keep us posted, how would you know it's fresh never been inserted into a cars' ignition? I would like to see someone start a thread on how to re-program a key that's already been programmed to another car.

My question is what is the deal with all these key fobs popping up on ebay, where are they coming from? Lease back cars or something?

Last edited by Maxwell; 10-29-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

Well keep us posted, how would you know it's fresh never been inserted into a cars' ignition? I would like to see someone start a thread on how to re-program a key that's already been programmed to another car.

My question is what is the deal with all these key fobs popping up on ebay, where are they coming from? lease back cars or something?
If it can be made to work this is the one to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-M...7510QQtcZphoto

Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 PM

Follow_Up.

My concern was whether a preprogrammed key could be reprogrammed or not (ebay route). Also, why is there such a disparity in prices among dealers.

Finally settled on a key from the LaBrea Dealer in Hollywood, CA.

They said "key came preprogrammed", I told them I could program the key, that it wasn't an issue. Long story short, key, cut and preprogrammed $114.

I curious to see if it comes programmed, if they ask to try it on the car first (not programmed), I may have to renegotiate the price.

Charlie V

Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my Crossfire about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Only came with one key. Dealer ordered another with fob. They got it in but it was cut wrong and wouldn't turn in the lock. They're ordering me another but they said they had to program it and that they didn't come programmed from the factory.