Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Roadster or a Coupe

Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadster or a Coupe

Ok so I have read this forum in and out, I love the crossfire. But I don't know if I should get a coupe or a roadster. Are there any advantages to any of them? I live up by Chicago and it snows a lot. So I'm thinking about a coupe, but then I don't want to regret not getting a roadster instead.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Roadster or a Coupe

If it's cold out you can close the roof on a roadster. When it's warm what do you do with a coupe?
I had both in the crossfire and I like the roadster better. Some people like the looks of the coupe better, that is what should help you decide. Roadsters don't like heavy snow on them!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:11 AM

It's personal preference. Not only do I like the ability to drop the top, I also like the styling of the roadster better than the coupe. But many coupe owners feel just the opposite. Do what makes YOU happy ... There's no wrong answer that way.

Mike

Old 12-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
When it's warm what do you do with a coupe?
Turn the AC on or roll down the windows.

Crossfirefun is correct, with the exception of a little more luggage space, as far as I was concerned the coupe just looked better. But I feel that way about most automotive designs.
There is nothing better than cruisin with the top down on a warm summer evening though.
Either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 AM
THREE 6S

I like the coupe so much that I bought two. Although, considering trading the N/A coupe for a roadster. So, as long as you own a crossfire you are right.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If this will be a daily driver in Chicago I'd probably go for the coupe - that convertible top will take a beating in Chicago winters if used daily.

While looks are a personal thing, I happen to love them both so much that I really want to put a coupe in my garage next to my roadster because there are things about both that I just love.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Roadster or a Coupe

Buy the one that you like the best...and enjoy!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Two?

"Double your Pleasure, Double your Fun"... Get One of Each & Wait for the Sun!

SF

Old 12-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Plainfield, sw of chicago and have a Roadster.

Your welcome to come drive mine to make a decision.

How tall are you?

I am 6'3" I do not fit in the coupe!

As long as you take care of the top it will take care of you!

I am from the school of if there is an option get it now cause once ya buy you are done and I don't like wishing for things I coulda had!

Like I said e-mail me for my cell and your welcome to come check it out anytime! And my garage is heated so you can check the car out topless if ya want!...I will take ya for a spin topless even...just bring your carrharts.

My opinion Roadster is the only way to go!!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Forum Regular

I used to own a 2004 coupe, but sold it and now have a 2006 roadster.

I believe it is a matter of personal preference on which design to buy. I went with the roadster because I like the roof line of the car better with the soft top. While I like the fastback look of the coupe, I prefer the look of the roadster.

The XFire has such a strong body design that the roadster is more akin to the coupe than many "convertible" car models. There isn't much flex in the body and the car is as quiet as the coupe.

And then there is the obvious top down mode of the roadster that appeals to me. It takes roughly 30 seconds to raise or lower the soft top.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

Hi there,

My 21 year old son says he likes the clean unbroken lines of a (black) coupe.
Picture it with dark tinted windows.
A coupe probably appeals to a larger demographic.
Theroetically a coupe will have more rigidity and therefore handle better.
A coupe keeps your contents more secure.
If you think a keyed car is infuriatiing, think about coming back to a slashed canvas top.
A coupe exterior is easier to keep clean.
An after market sound system is better suited to a coupe.
I'd prefer a coupe at the drive-in...Ha Ha
On a rainy or snowy day, or for regular everyday transportation, the coupe is a far more
practical.

The Roadster is more rare, however it costs more too.
There is nothing like the Roadster on a warm spring or summer day, however it can lose it's novelty.
A short drive around town leaves your hair (assuming you still have hair) full of grime.
The bright sun can make the instrument view all but dissapear.
It can be hot and sweaty.

While knowing all of this I just purchased a Roadster. What does that say?

Now if you can just decide on the color!...LOL

Whichever you decide, it's a blast to drive.

Cheers!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaded1958cars
While knowing all of this I just purchased a Roadster. What does that say?
No hair? And that your son won't be borrowing the car, either ...

Old 12-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by heyitsnorbert
Ok so I have read this forum in and out, I love the crossfire. But I don't know if I should get a coupe or a roadster. Are there any advantages to any of them?
I live up by Chicago and it snows a lot. So I'm thinking about a coupe, but then I don't want to regret not getting a roadster instead.
If I may ask what town are you in. I would like to add you to my list of locals for future Crossfire owner meets next year.

Gary

Old 12-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Life is random...so am I.

If you are even thinking about a roadster...by all means get one!

I just can't wait for the temperature to get above 55 degrees and the top goes down.

To all those coupe people...if you think people stare at you when you're driving your coupe...he he he...

Old 12-08-2007, 02:23 PM

I just moved away from Chicagoland. Owned a convertible the 8 years I lived there. In that time, January was the only month I never put the roof down. Every winter has a warm spell in December ore February. With heated seats, the small roof area, and a decent heating system the winter won't intrude too much.

The biggest downside is that there is a huge differnece between top down motoring in the city or a crowded tollway versus out in the country. If you are considering a roadster in December, you might miss it come April - but as others have said you need to do what you want to do.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by apkano
If you are even thinking about a roadster...by all means get one!

I just can't wait for the temperature to get above 55 degrees and the top goes down.

To all those coupe people...if you think people stare at you when you're driving your coupe...he he he...
You got that right...and stare and stare.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
If I may ask what town are you in. I would like to add you to my list of locals for future Crossfire owner meets next year.

Gary
I live up by Barrington Il.
but I'm thinking about the coupe. but do any of you guys know anything about a hard top for the roadster? something like the s2000 has.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
TLo

i have also owned a roadster, as well as my new coupe. The roadster is a blast, I live 20 minutes from the beach In S. Cal. and there's nothing like a ride up the coast with the top down or cruising around the beach towns.
The only little difference between them as far as i see is...

The roadster is not as quite, even with the top up, not much, but the coupe is a bit more sound proof. Also i was not to crazy about the steel beam that is attached to the rag top. it comes together when you close the top and attaches to the top of the window frame. Its right in line with your forehead, should you hit something head on, you better have your belt on. A safety belt is a must in a roadster, (common sense) besides the chance of flying out in an accident. I'm only pointing this out. Not wanting to bring any one down. As I said roadsters are great. in fact if i did not own an SSR Chevy roaster pickup. I would consider one as a second car. Bottom line buy one or the other.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 PM

I'm out here west of Chicago, with a roadster too. Debated long and hard about which to get. The roadster won out. No regrets other than having to put the top up in cold weather. I have the luxury of putting the car away for the winter this year. Boy am I going to miss it. One more drive, when the weather is nice enough, over to my office to park it out back in the shop. I picked up a cover today. Enough about me.

Even with the somewhat short time to drive with the top down, I doubt that you would feel disappointed with the roadster. I remember sitting in both coupe and roadster when looking and felt the visiblity in the roadster was just as good, if not better.

If I had the cash, I get me an SRT-6 coupe, probably in dark gray with the two tone interior. Don't do the S2000, the Crossfire draws a lot more attention and is easier to drive. Good luck however you go.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 PM
RPM

I fit much better in the roadster than the coupe (6'2").
I like the looks of both, but it was roadster only for me.
Since it is a summer/weekend toy, my wife and I wanted a roadster. We drive hardtops everyday anyway.
If you can, drive them both and see what you think.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Roadster or a Coupe