Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Answered my own question! Easy key fix for non-working remote!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answered my own question! Easy key fix for non-working remote!

I started a thread earlier today asking about the possibility of just replacing the cut portion of the key from a fob that wasn't working into a functioning fob from another car. Seems nobody that saw the thread had an answer as to if this was possible, so I decided to just man up and try this and see what happened.

As you can see from the pic below, by tapping out the set pin you ARE able to pull the cut portion of the key out and replace it into a working fob. Don't know if this will help anyone, but there are always good used keys on Ebay and this is a really simple process. Might save you some money if you have a remote that doesn't work and want to replace it and not drop $150 at the stealership for a whole new key.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Answered my own question! Easy key fix for non-working remote!

Originally Posted by WAR IN D
I started a thread earlier today asking about the possibility of just replacing the cut portion of the key from a fob that wasn't working into a functioning fob from another car. Seems nobody that saw the thread had an answer as to if this was possible, so I decided to just man up and try this and see what happened.

As you can see from the pic below, by tapping out the set pin you ARE able to pull the cut portion of the key out and replace it into a working fob. Don't know if this will help anyone, but there are always good used keys on Ebay and this is a really simple process. Might save you some money if you have a remote that doesn't work and want to replace it and not drop $150 at the stealership for a whole new key.

??what about the buttons to lock/unlock the doors, arent they different for another car?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
??what about the buttons to lock/unlock the doors, arent they different for another car?
When I first bought the car and found out that it wasn't the batteries in the remote that were bad, the dealer said that the key probably needed to be reprogramed to the car. I did some searching on the forum to find the procedure, and from what I gathered you can reprogram any fob to any car using the method outlined in the owners manual.

If this is incorrect, I would like to know as well before I buy one from ebay.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 AM

I believe you can reprogram the fob to unlook the doors, but you can't have the RID on the fob programmed to start the car....

I'd look into it more if I was you before pulling the trigger, hopefully I'm wrong

Old 02-24-2008, 05:35 AM

Good point, I'll have to research that a little more. The dealership did order me another key, and I programmed it here at the house but it was ordered from the vin#. I was assuming that the security stuff was programmed at the same time while doing the procedure in the manual.

Trying to remember though from the searching, does the car actually program the remote or just learn to recognize it? If it just adapts and learns the remote, there might not be an issue. I'll do some more checking on it.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can answer this definitively for you, as I was already dumb enough to spend the money and try it.

Yes: you can change the metal key from fob to fob
Yes: you can program a new fob to unlock your doors

No: a fob from another car will NEVER be able to start your car.

Don't waste your money on the ebay fobs. I've been down that road.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
I can answer this definitively for you, as I was already dumb enough to spend the money and try it.

Yes: you can change the metal key from fob to fob
Yes: you can program a new fob to unlock your doors

No: a fob from another car will NEVER be able to start your car.

Don't waste your money on the ebay fobs. I've been down that road.
Thanks for your input!! Saved me some time, money and trouble. Much appreciated.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by WAR IN D

What did you use to tap out the key?

Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a very fine "jewelers" flat-head screw driver. You could also use a fine punch. It's in there pretty tight, so anything plastic isn't gonna cut it, it would just bend.