Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Car Theft Warning

Old 03-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Car Theft Warning

Attention Crossfire Forum Members...comments?
VIN NUMBER SECURITY
Here is info worth the price of your car...What will the car thieves think of next? The thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.
The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car; He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy.
To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN number.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car Theft Warning

that's nuts! guess we have to start covering the vin plate..

Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRappaport

VIN NUMBER SECURITY

Here is info worth the price of your car...What will the car thieves think of next? The thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car; He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy.
To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN number.
What car thief is going to wait a month to get the key from Germany and pay 150$!!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't new to the car theft world, but does work. A large ring was just caught doing exaclty this in Detroit last week. Many dealerships require proof of ownership prior to cutting keys, but many only require a good story. Perhaps this Forum shouldn't be displaying the VIN's of members cars?

Originally Posted by BRappaport

VIN NUMBER SECURITY

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s
What car thief is going to wait a month to get the key from Germany and pay 150$!!!!
I ordered a new key, had in in one day and cost $135

Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing V.I.N., or build #, but I trust the members on this site

Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Forum Regular

yep totally agree, this is a real problem.

when I order my spare keys, the dealer asked to see my vehicle registration. But i think it is easy to make a fake registration, or one from another state, the guy working in the parts department have no idea if I'm the "real" owner...

Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nox1s
I had a replacment key in two day and paid 65 bucks at the dealer.....

Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Again, all good reasons: "Perhaps this Forum shouldn't be displaying the VIN's of members cars?"

Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Read the Snopes article & draw your own conclusions.....
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Location: N.W IND. I CAN COME TO YOU TO INSTALL AND TUNE!!!!!

I Work For A Chrysler Dealership And It Is True This Can Be Done. However A Reputable Dealer Is To Get A Copy Of The Owners Drivers Liscense, And Registraion, Or Insurance Card. My Parts Dept. Will Not Release A Key Without It, People Hate It Cause Most People Keep That Stuff In Their Glove Boxes. This Is Great Info Though, Because The Dealership Is Your Only Line Of Defense!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 PM

My dealership requires proof of ownership by either displaying the registration or insurance card. That must also be accompanied by photo I.D. So for us, no reg, no I.D. no Key. Problem solved.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 PM

Although this is really an urban legend, an insurance card could easily be faked.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by klamathpro
Although this is really an urban legend, an insurance card could easily be faked.
Driver's Lic. aren't as easy. There is only so much we can do. If someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way.

It's not an urban legend, they busted a guy in my area that had done it twice in one day...

Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I just ordered a replacement key yesterday and gave them my registration to get the VIN. But they did not ask for it! I probably just could have given them the number. So I'll be covering with tape, too.

I do keep both Crossfires garaged and work from home (no office parking lot where the car would be accessible every day), so my risk is small. But why take it?

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 AM

My delaer requires that you also show a valid registration for the car before any keys are made!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Forum Regular

That's what I have insurance for, if they steal mine I guess I'll just have to find a SRT Roadster.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:45 PM

I did a search. Apparently it is illegal to cover the VIN in some states but at least, in california, it is okay to cover the VIN. Here is an article of a newstation that tried to steal cars via VINs:

http://www.ksbw.com/news/2627022/detail.html

Old 03-16-2008, 05:09 PM

This wouldn't work on my car since I had a 2nd alarm built in. The 2nd alarm goes off if you dont turn it off with the remote.