Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rear noise. Hatch maybe??

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear noise. Hatch maybe??

I recently bought my crossfire new about 4 months ago. Recently ive been hearing alot of rattling around in the back when I go over bumps and whatnot. I can't seem to figure out what it is since i have nothing back there. I've seen a thread on here recently, however, talking about the rear hatch lock loosening and causing something similar to this but a recall was made only for 2004's and 2005's i think. I have a 2007 with just under 7,000 miles on it. It can't be the hatch lock, could it?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Rear noise. Hatch maybe??

try to adjust the rubber stop's on each side of the hatch...
also do a search several threads related to the issue

Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
I recently bought my crossfire new about 4 months ago. Recently ive been hearing alot of rattling around in the back when I go over bumps and whatnot. I can't seem to figure out what it is since i have nothing back there. I've seen a thread on here recently, however, talking about the rear hatch lock loosening and causing something similar to this but a recall was made only for 2004's and 2005's i think. I have a 2007 with just under 7,000 miles on it. It can't be the hatch lock, could it?
Use the search feature!

It mostlikely is the hatch. Electrical tape is the cure!!!!!!!!! Search for it.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by cgocifer
It mostlikely is the hatch. Electrical tape is the cure!!!!!!!!! Search for it.
That's very "sound" advice. I had the rattle for a long time and tried all of the recommended cures with only intermittent success. The tape trick for the metal latch, though, fixed it for good.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks. Didn't think this could happen with a NEW crossfire, as the recalls are for 04-05's if I'm not mistaken.

Taking it into the dealer for an oil change soon (warranty, don't want to have them say I voided it, which is gonna cost me $89...). See if I can get them to fix it then.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanks. Didn't think this could happen with a NEW crossfire, as the recalls are for 04-05's if I'm not mistaken.

Taking it into the dealer for an oil change soon (warranty, don't want to have them say I voided it, which is gonna cost me $89...). See if I can get them to fix it then.
how could your warraty be voided? They cannot void your warranty if you change your own oil. Just save receipts and log everything. I keep the holographic stickers from the oil filter boxes.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular

Eh, don't want to take the chance. You never know who might try to pull what. And aren't the oil filters on these cars mounted upside down, thanks to the ingenious of Mercedes design?? I haven't actually looked yet, but I've heard that they are.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the electrical tape mod on mine. That's the real fix.

Be careful about those rubber stoppers. If you adjust them down and let the hatch rattle, they'll just wear right through your paint, and that's not good.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:43 PM
CRM

Eh, don't want to take the chance. You never know who might try to pull what. .
So true!! They can't void your warranty, but they also don't "have to" do ANYTHING one mile beyond the warranty period. Trust me, I have seen it happen more than once on several different car lines.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:01 PM

Eh, don't want to take the chance. You never know who might try to pull what. And aren't the oil filters on these cars mounted upside down, thanks to the ingenious of Mercedes design?? I haven't actually looked yet, but I've heard that they are.
The oil filters are completely different than anything you've probably seen. What looks like a filter in the engine compartment is actually a cap with a long rod attached that contains 4 O-rings and the filter element. It's quite easy to change and is a bit ingenious.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:04 PM

This car rattles like a ****. Once you tape the rear hatch striker, the noise should disappear. If yours is a daily driver other noises will probably show up later due to wonderful Mercedes engineering. I think I have encountered every noise possible and am still trying to get them all resolved.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by klamathpro
This car rattles like a ****. Once you tape the rear hatch striker, the noise should disappear. If yours is a daily driver other noises will probably show up later due to wonderful Mercedes engineering. I think I have encountered every noise possible and am still trying to get them all resolved.
Speaking of which, I've been getting a another noise coming from the back for awhile now. Sounds sort of like a piece of paper or cloth flapping in the wind as I'm driving. I can't seem to find out where it's coming from exactly and nothing seems to be loose back there. Anyone know what could be causing this one?

Old 04-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Speaking of which, I've been getting a another noise coming from the back for awhile now. Sounds sort of like a piece of paper or cloth flapping in the wind as I'm driving. I can't seem to find out where it's coming from exactly and nothing seems to be loose back there. Anyone know what could be causing this one?

probably seat belt flapping in the wind. took me a while to figure that one out..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turkish
probably seat belt flapping in the wind. took me a while to figure that one out..
Yeah, I notice that too. It's kind of annoying. If I put the window about 2/3 the way up, it goes away. Anyone have a "cure" for this?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxm
That's very "sound" advice. I had the rattle for a long time and tried all of the recommended cures with only intermittent success. The tape trick for the metal latch, though, fixed it for good.

I taped the two rubber bumpers on my hood.. and it still is rattling.. am I taping the wrong things !??!?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s
I taped the two rubber bumpers on my hood.. and it still is rattling.. am I taping the wrong things !??!?
Yes, you probably are taping the wrong things. The latch bar is the cylindrical piece of metal above the rear bumper assembly (not the hood) into which the latch mechanism from the hatch door descends to grab the bar itself (I know that's a dumb description, but maybe someone can supply a picture that would be more helpful). The original OEM latch bar is just painted metal. Covering that small piece of metal with pliable acrylic tape or velcro or some kind of thin sound deadening material not only stops the rattling, but it also makes the hatch mechanism itself feel more solid and sturdy. Once you find it, you'll know....

Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by turkish
Can't be. I can hear it from the rear hatch when my windows are up.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Forum Regular

Shapeshifter,

Please provide some feed back as to what you have tried thus far and whether it was successful or not. You've reported another noise but did you resolve the original noise or does it still exist as well?

Have you tried what was recommended to you in posts 2 and 3?

The hatch rattles that most Crossfires experience can at least be temporarily fixed by the suggestions in posts 2 and 3. My rattle was solved by the electrical tape fix.

I would imagine that most forum members read these threads to obtain information that may be useful to them in the future. Providing the details of how your problem was resolved (or not resolved) is greatly appreciated especially to those who have taken the time to offer you suggestions.

Last edited by imabenz; 04-15-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry about the delay. I've been too busy to actually have it taken care of as of yet. The rear hatch doesn't always rattle. As for the other noise, it too, does not always appear. But both do frequently as I drive. Whenever the rear hatch is not rattling, the other noise seems to be present. Sometimes they appear at the same time.

Sorry if I couldn't give you much info. Been extremely busy. I'll try some of the things you guys gave me. Still gonna take it into the dealer first soon tho.

Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Rear noise. Hatch maybe??