Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rain Leak / Passenger Side

Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Rain Leak / Passenger Side

There was no cover or baffle over the port on my car so I presume that it does not exist. If the drains are clear then the channel should drain itself adequately. Water can also get into that area if the drain under the AC heat exchanger is plugged.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to look under the cowl again, and I can see that the "mounting bracket" I described is actually for the left hand drive wiper system. So, no there was no baffle design. I fleft mine in anyway because it looks like a likely place for water dripping into the intake port.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by arydant
I had to look under the cowl again, and I can see that the "mounting bracket" I described is actually for the left hand drive wiper system. So, no there was no baffle design. I fleft mine in anyway because it looks like a likely place for water dripping into the intake port.
If the cowl does not fit tightly against the windshield molding then water would trickle down above the heater intake and go inside the car from what I see.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you get the molding to fit tightly against the windshield?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 PM

As recall it is a little bit of a trick to align the cowl so that the windsheild bottom sets into the groove. I just had to work at it until it it went.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Okay I have a new problem... water is coming into my passenger side underneath the glove box... my radio went out but after it dried it came back on... now my ac is not blowing??? I read a few feeds and I will tackle clearing out the leaves tomorrow. .. but why is my ac not blowing??? And after I clear the leaves what next?

btw I replaced the electric plate and after 1 month I was stuck in safe mode revving in 2nd gear, so I had to stop n restart... the mechanic is saying the tranny need to be overhauled. . Im so mad, its only been 1 yr since I bought the car...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 PM

Took 2 hrs n cleaned out the leaves n dirty... sprayed the car with a hose n no more leaking inside, but we'll see when it rains.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 AM

If you pour a glass of water into the cowling, it should end up on the pavement behind the passenger side wheel. If the down tube is clogged with debris, then the water wells up and drips into the air intake. Immediately behind this is the blower motor.

If you have had water leaking under the passenger dash, then likely the blower motor, cabin filter and dash padding has been soaked. Speed is of the essence since this will likely begin to corrode the motor and its connector, and mildew mold will start growing in the cloth materials.

I would recommend removing the blower, filter and under dash components. This is actually pretty easy on this car. Dry them out, clean and lubricate the blower bearings and connector. If there is any mold present, thoroughly clean or replace those items. Once there is fungus in a material, it is never the same.

If your blower motor is still good, you may get more life out of it, otherwise it will have to be replaced and its not cheap.

When I bought my car two years ago, I found that the previous owner had placed paper towels under the dash panel - of course they never told me about the leak. Of course there were the leaves because they kept it on the street. So this had been going on for some time.
After my leak, my blower was not working, and the connector was full of water. Once I cleaned it up the blower was working again. However, the blower does shows some signs of minor corrosion and may fail before it should.

Last edited by arydant; 05-24-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Just one of the subtle ways the Germans get back at the rest of the world for that misunderstanding back in the 1930's and 1940's

Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Just one of the subtle ways the Germans get back at the rest of the world for that misunderstanding back in the 1930's and 1940's
Well, we did rescue them from the Soviets......

Old 05-24-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by arydant
Well, we did rescue them from the Soviets......
Half of 'em anyway. Took another 45 years for the other half.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Half of 'em anyway. Took another 45 years for the other half.
In that case one might be hanging out here: TrabantForums.com

Old 12-28-2015, 03:47 PM

Glad I found this thread. Is there any type of manual or instructions for removing the cowling, and the cover under the passenger dash/

Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 AM

Been raining ALOT in Fort Myers, Water is soaking the passenger footwell daily. the car smells and it appears mold is beginning to grow on the inside of the softtop. I unscrewed and lifted up the passenger side of the cowl and there were a few leaves in there but nothing that would be blocking water flow. I poured a glass of water down the windshield after and nothing leaked into the footwell. This morning however, after a night of rain, water is everywhere in the footwell. I am out of ideas.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:20 AM

Make sure you check to see that the drain channel along side the passenger side down to the ground is not clogged. If water can't drain out of the channel beneath the cowl into this tube, it goes into cabin the air-intake which is only 1" above.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spikehound
Thats pretty much what happened. I was going to check the drain but I don't have to tool to get off the wiper arms so I could take the cowl off. I'm going to try to get one this weekend and work on it. What is the amplifier?
As usual I am late to the party, but so glad I have this forum. Water dripping on wife's foot! Sure enough the drains under the cowl cover were plugged. The drivers side was completely plugged, had to remove fender well cover as I could not get a flexible fish down the tube. Found the wiper cap in there! I wondered why there were no cap covers on the wiper nuts!😞. Thanks again to the forum contributors. Still got to check the A/C drain tomorrow.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:40 PM

Since my last question about the water leakage, I have discovered several remedies that were working fine until now. First let me describe the issue, after my 2006 Convertible sits in the rain, when I accelerate, water, (sometimes quarts), comes gushing into the passenger well. I keep a large plastic tub to catch the water. The water seems to be coming from the Heater/ A/C Blower Compartment. The water isn't the worst part though, I have had to replace the Blower and blower motor because the electronics literally started sparking and burning. I have also had to replace the resister due to water damage. The first time I learned the resistor was bad was because the A/C or Heater would turn on and off at it's own discretion. Sometimes I would have A/C then it would turn itself off, remain off for up to 10 minutes or more, the come back on. What I think, is perhaps where the rainwater flows into the drainage area under the hood, where the windshield wipers are attached, there is a shelf, or some type of accumulator. There must be a drain in the accumulator, and it must be clogged. I've contacted Chrysler Corp. to get a diagram of that area so I could fix it, but there best solution is to buy a repair manual, but they couldn't tell me if there even is a diagram of the area. Does anyone have that problem?

Old 05-28-2020, 02:46 PM

Everyone has that problem, it is the 3 drains for the wiper cowl.
If these drains are clogged ( and they usually are if the car is ever left outside ),
then water backs up until it can overflow into the fan inlet, thus causing what you describe.
The solution is to remove the cowl cover ( must remove wiper arms first ), then clean out the drain tubes.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO KNOCK THE TUBES LOOSE !!!!
Some used air, some used water pressure and some a coat hanger.
Good Luck !!!!!!

Old 05-28-2020, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the quick response, that is exactly what I thought. I'll remove the Cowl, and clean it out today.
Dennis.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:12 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Instead of a coat hanger I would use a plastic or rubber hose of a smaller diameter. Less chance of damaging the rubber drain tubes.

Last edited by ZERACER; 05-28-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Rain Leak / Passenger Side