Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire's Main Competition

Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire's Main Competition

Most cars have a specific car or cars that would be considered it's competition when it comes to sales and just about any other thing. For example the Camaro and the Mustang are competition for each other and in turn one makes a change and the other usually does something to try and top it.

What would be considered the Crossfire's main competition? Based on what I have read on here it seems that the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky would be the two main competetors against the Crossfire.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Default Re: Crossfire's Main Competition

350z and audi tt

Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also...

Crossfire N/A:
Pontiac Solstice
Saturn Sky

Crossfire SRT-6:
Pontiac Solstice turbo
Saturn Sky redline

Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 PM

I drove both the Pontiac Solstice GXT, Sky Red-line and both of those just didn't feel right. I also looked at BMW Z3/Z4s. Then the wife saw a Crossfire on a used car lot and we both drove it and that was about that. I went back and started researching the car. Only thing I could remember was this Ad campaign contest that Donald Trump had put together one year on the Apprentice TV show. That was back in 04 when the car first came out. Anyway, it took me 4 months before I found the right SRT-6 convertible and had it shipped down from Indiana to Florida. It's been a great ride.

Karl

Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I personally feel the Crossfire qualifies as a "Sports Car", (not everybody agrees) then I think it's main competition would be just about any other "Sports Car" currently being built today.
An SRT6 with just a few mods can run with a Viper, and a perfectly stock NA Crossfire an go thru a slalom faster than a Ford GT.
So the lines are blurred.
But probably the closest competition would be a 350Z, Audi TT, Mazda RX8, S2000, Porsche Boxter/Cayman, and BMW Z4.
The great part is you can hang with all of these cars at a fraction of the cost.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Yeah my old roommate had an 04 rx8 and although he pulled ahead of me, i did pretty well for an automatic against a stick.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 PM

I find my son's RX8 quite similar in handling and performance to my Crossfire.

Just ignore the Mazda's rear seats.

---------------------------- Bill

Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kldiet
Only thing I could remember was this Ad campaign contest that Donald Trump had put together one year on the Apprentice TV show. That was back in 04 when the car first came out.
I never watched the Apprentice. I wonder if that was simply another mis-directed advertising effort by Chrysler's (mis-)marketing team.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like hunting Porsches................especially 911 turbos. They always seem to have the superiority complex and it makes me happy to humble them.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by BillP2R
I find my son's RX8 quite similar in handling and performance to my Crossfire.

Just ignore the Mazda's rear seats.

---------------------------- Bill
There are rear seats in an RX8? I thought those were just for decoration purposes.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my neighborhood it's the 350Z's and G35's. It's the forced induction ones that get me everytime.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

honestly I fell there is or was no direct competition for the crossfire.
This I belive was part of the problem with markerting of our awesome little ride.
Two seaters like the sky/solstace or miata/m5 list at entry level prices.
The rx8 is a rotary that mazda messed up on, big oops
Most of the others are in the upper price point range.
Many people that can afford luxury sports cars want you to know they spent $$ when you see it.
This leaves the crossfire in the middle, to much for entry level car, not enough for snooty peoples cars.
This is just my humble opinion. I happen to like snooty cars. I'd trade my crossfire for a viper or sl55 in a heart beat.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 PM

In my case, my neighbor started our neighborhood "Let's upgrade the ride" mid-life crises war, by going and getting an almost new 06 Honda S2000. The S2000 has a really sweat short-throw 6-speed trans that I really really liked. SO THE BAR WAS NOW SET. Objective #1... RAISE THE BAR, don't just settle on matching it. So what tops an S2000? Well, one kick a** SRT-6, that's what. Objective # 2... BEAT THE PRICE. Done that too! There are a few LAMBOs and Ferrari's in town, but this Crossfire ragtop fits the wallet and the personallity style to a tee. It's a real keeper. I really do need to teach my neighbor Pete how to drive a stick though. Never thought I'd enjoy driving an automatic after 40 years of doing the three petal shuffle.

Karl

Old 07-24-2008, 05:49 AM

There are rear seats in an RX8? I thought those were just for decoration purposes.
When my granddaughter came along, my son sold one of his Miatas to buy the RX8 to be their "family car", so the rear seat actually gets used.

-------------------- Bill

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 AM
TVT_DESIGN

I think its biggest competition is the Chrysler Marketing Department. Once it conquers that it will be truly seen as a great GT/Sports car.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Since I personally feel the Crossfire qualifies as a "Sports Car", (not everybody agrees) then I think it's main competition would be just about any other "Sports Car" currently being built today.
An SRT6 with just a few mods can run with a Viper, and a perfectly stock NA Crossfire an go thru a slalom faster than a Ford GT.
So the lines are blurred.
But probably the closest competition would be a 350Z, Audi TT, Mazda RX8, S2000, Porsche Boxter/Cayman, and BMW Z4.
The great part is you can hang with all of these cars at a fraction of the cost.

Yeah!

What he said.

Roadster with a stick

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its more coincidence than anything, but since getting my SRT-6 just a month ago, the following cars have popped up in front of my neighbor's houses;
- Porche 911 (non-turbo)
- Honda S2000
- Nissan 350Z Coupe
- Infiniti G35 Coupe

All appeared within the last month. Now, I either touched off an upgrade trend or the 5 of us just happened to be in the market for sports cars at the exact same time. The best part is that I can smoke them all without breaking a sweat

Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
also...

Crossfire N/A:
Pontiac Solstice
Saturn Sky

Crossfire SRT-6:
Pontiac Solstice turbo
Saturn Sky redline
Have you seen the trunk on the Solstice/Sky convertable? No you haven't because they don't have one!!!

I drove everything. I was looking for a vert with touque, a decent trunk and was happy at 80 mph.

A lot of them were geared too low (including the Z4). The Boxter didn't have a center arm rest at all. The S2000 was geared too low and the door armrest sucked. Didn't even test the TT because everyone complained about the maintanence costs ($1200 brakes etc.)

The Crossfire worked (barely). Good power (though 1st gear is pretty short). The seat reclines just enough to be comfortable. My clutch leg just clears the bottom of the dash. The armrests are tollerable though pretty hard. The trunk just holds my camping gear.

Having said that, it's a hoot to drive and everywhere it goes, people stop to look at it.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the G35 was the main competition. I almost bought one, if it wasn't for the $9K discount on the Crossfire, I probable would have.

I rarely see any of the other cars mentioned. There are many more Crossfires around here than any of them.

In my department of 50 people at work there are three G35's. three WRX's, a couple TL's, three 5 series, a very sweet Jag convertible and my Crossfire.

They were all competition.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Out here in L.A every other car you see is a 350z or G35 lol Its annoying

Quick Reply: Crossfire's Main Competition