Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Corroded battery tray

Old 09-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corroded battery tray

just as well the weather is wet and horrible today... i noticed that furry white substance that is typical of acid corrosion around my battery tray, so out the battery came, out the tray came.

I went up my local auto store and picked up some battery cleaner/acid neutralizer, and some of that rust treatment paint.

Waiting for it all to dry now, so I can reinstall tomorrow.

Anyone use those battery tray mats I found on the net, to keep situations like this from happening???

Old 09-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Corroded battery tray

I haven't had a problem with mine. Was/is you battery case cracked? Or, maybe overfilled? That would be the only way to get corrosion that bad from the battery acid (that I know of). I have heard that the mats are pretty good at absorbing acid, etc. and would be worth a try under the circumstances.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do Austrailians shift with their right hands or left hands (steering wheel on the right side of car)?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
I haven't had a problem with mine. Was/is you battery case cracked? Or, maybe overfilled? That would be the only way to get corrosion that bad from the battery acid (that I know of). I have heard that the mats are pretty good at absorbing acid, etc. and would be worth a try under the circumstances.
Hey Danimal

I could find nothing wrong with the current battery, but as I've only owned the car about 3 weeks, I can't say what the situation was before that - but likely a previous battery. I just thought a mat might be a good idea to protect my hard work! Didn't know the mats existed until I searched the net, looking for a replacement battery tray...

Justin

Old 09-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Do Austrailians shift with their right hands or left hands (steering wheel on the right side of car)?
Hi Chris L

We shift with our left hand. We sit in the right side of the car, and drive on the left side of the road - total opposite to some European countries, some Asian countries, and the US of A.

Justin

Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia
Hi Chris L

We shift with our left hand. We sit in the right side of the car, and drive on the left side of the road - total opposite to some European countries, some Asian countries, and the US of A.

Justin
That did take a little getting used to when I was there in Perth/Freemantle some 25 years ago........but very beautiful area. It was the first place that I found right drive Corvettes. And I always forgot which way to look crossing the street after coming out of the wine bar...LOL.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damage to cars from battery corrosion happens fast and is often devastating. I would recommend not fooling around with present battery or pad.

Using a pad assumes you have a leak which will not be solved by the pad. Once the alkalinity of the pad is neutralized, the problem will continue.

I suggest rather a good gel cell battery that is completely sealed and cannot leak - like the Optima battery. Yes, expensive but compared to a perforation of the chassis rail beneath the battery from corrosion...?

P.S. The battery acid neutralizer you bought is water and baking soda mixed. Far cheaper to make your own. It's a good tactic to clean up with it, and then wash with fresh water making sure that all traces of both battery acid AND neutralizer solution are gone.