CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   An old Bronco sounds better. (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/27983-old-bronco-sounds-better.html)

The Beep 09-16-2008 07:29 PM

Re: An old Bronco sounds better.

Originally Posted by sonoronos
umm...I've not heard much good about Broncos, other than that they are cheap.

My opinion: If you're going for a beater, go Japanese. An old toyota 4x4 pickup truck works really well :)

The Toy's and Datsun's etc. were good mechaniclly, but their bodies rusted right to the ground. And you're right, the old Bronco's are dirt cheap because they built a zillion of them and they use thicker sheet metal than the Jap's.

The Beep 09-16-2008 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
If your thinking of a Crossfire as an investment, you are seriously mistaken. Ask anyone that has bought one new and ask them what it is worth now. Investments are usually bought with the hope of value going up...

James

I used the term in a different way. I've invested $17 on the car and in return, aquire a good number of years of fun transportation. Rust would certainly lower the return.

As a previous owner of a C4 Vette, I'm very aware that few cars ever actually increase in value.

Kurts 09-16-2008 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
A lot of people have four wheel drive and think it gives them more control. They forget, we all have four wheel stop.

Skidding is the same 2X4 or 4X4 and the objects you strike have the same resistance.

roadster with a stick

I can absolutely concur that is the case. 4x4 in deep snow, great. Stopping on slippery roads: a whole different story. I've seen a'plenty Explorer, Jeep, 4-wheel truck slowly sliding towards the ditch, trees & certain doom as I have cars. Frankly, I don't see any more RWD's ditched than I do FWD's. If you don't drive with your head you're screwed no matter what you drive. That said; I'll still be driving the Cougar this winter unless, like Chuck above, the weather is nice. After all, I still need my Xfire fix!

Kurts 09-16-2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Beep
I used the term in a different way. I've invested $17 on the car and in return, aquire a good number of years of fun transportation. Rust would certainly lower the return.

As a previous owner of a C4 Vette, I'm very aware that few cars ever actually increase in value.

Back to the question:
Beep, nothing wrong the winter POS idea but small trucks are hard to beat. Tough, durable, fairly reliable & it doesn't matter what they look like. Heck, rust looks about right on one of those!

The Beep 09-16-2008 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kurts
Back to the question:
Beep, nothing wrong the winter POS idea but small trucks are hard to beat. Tough, durable, fairly reliable & it doesn't matter what they look like. Heck, rust looks about right on one of those!

I used to see lots of Nisson p/u's with home-made wooden beds because the old ones would only last a few years, but even those are gone now. All that's left are a few Jimmy's and lots of Bronco's.

I drove a Toyota p/u for a while in the 80's and it was a fun ride but they're all gone. I believe the Minnesota Dept of Transportation is the primary supporter of the nations salt industry.

chuck65 09-17-2008 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Chuck65,

The crossfir is limited to 425lbs, people and load. At 325 lbs she leaves you at 100 lbs.

I figured you for bigger than that.:rolleyes:

roadster with a stick

Well there you have it. I didn't think of the total weight factor. In this case it's kind of self limiting because of the size issue.