Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

An old Bronco sounds better.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An old Bronco sounds better.

Winter is fast approching around here and I'm looking at this XF. It appears I would be ahead in every way by putting the car in storage and grabbing a Bronco out of Craigslist.

In the first place, having the widest tires in the world and hardly any weight on them, there's no way it's going on the ice worth krap even with traction control.

The salt will cause it to rust reducing my investment.

I would only need storage insurance on the XF and liability only on the Bronco putting me money ahead.

It sounds like a win win win situation.

Doesn't it?.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Re: An old Bronco sounds better.

Originally Posted by The Beep
Winter is fast approching around here and I'm looking at this XF. It appears I would be ahead in every way by putting the car in storage and grabbing a Bronco out of Craigslist.

In the first place, having the widest tires in the world and hardly any weight on them, there's no way it's going on the ice worth krap even with traction control.

The salt will cause it to rust reducing my investment.

I would only need storage insurance on the XF and liability only on the Bronco putting me money ahead.

It sounds like a win win win situation.

Doesn't it?.
I recently had the same delima, a new SRT Xfire or an Old Bronco. But it was a Bronco packaging machine for my company. The boss chose the machine.

Which is fine but it doesn't do any better in the snow than a crossfire.

While I agree with your reasonings, not driving my Crossfire sounds so depressing. Until I got the little roadster, I loved driving my pickup to work. Now it's a chore.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-16-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like having mine sit in the garage all winter looking pretty. I would rather take my chances in snow and salt with all the idiots out there while in a beater. Doesn't hurt that it will last longer and you save money too.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Move to Texas and you can drive it year round.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Better yet ship it to me in sunny Arizona and I'll drive it around for ya (to keep the tires round)!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking the same thing recently. The problem is that Philly winters vary wildly between Minneapolis winters and Atlanta winters, and you never know what you're in for. I think I'm just going to ditch the summer-only Pilots for some all-season F1's and take my chances this winter. After all, 8 years of all weather driving in my Trans Am didn't leave it any worse for wear. Are old Broncos known to be reliable or something? I'm just wondering because I see a LOT of them around here in the winter and never see any in the summer.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by PhillySRT
I've been thinking the same thing recently. The problem is that Philly winters vary wildly between Minneapolis winters and Atlanta winters, and you never know what you're in for. I think I'm just going to ditch the summer-only Pilots for some all-season F1's and take my chances this winter. After all, 8 years of all weather driving in my Trans Am didn't leave it any worse for wear. Are old Broncos known to be reliable or something? I'm just wondering because I see a LOT of them around here in the winter and never see any in the summer.
You'll do fine.
I picked mine up in NE ohio. Drove home in a February snowstorm with 6" on the ground. Drove every day in St Louis where we had lots of ice and snow last winter.
My 82 TA was pretty loose in the snow. Crossfire was 100 times better.

Broncos are like old military jeeps. Clunky, hard to drive, annoyingly uncomfortable but very reliable. They don't crush easy and bruises don't show or matter. Great beater vehicles.

roadster with a stick

Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
I like having mine sit in the garage all winter looking pretty. I would rather take my chances in snow and salt with all the idiots out there while in a beater. Doesn't hurt that it will last longer and you save money too.
me too.

i just bought a $600 Wagoneer as backup to my other two Jeeps.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Good thing I live in Los Angeles...

Old 09-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Beep..... Full size V8 Bronco's are OK but Don't buy a V6 BroncoII. The BroncoII use to be everywhere,all over the road. They became a rare sight in less than 10 years. They were plagued with aluminium heads that crack. Mixing water and oil right after warrenty expires. Been there,done that. Want even go into discussing how weak their 4X4 is on the Bronco II. Turbo Cummins Ram Dully 4X4 - The Squirrel Crusher.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 PM

umm...I've not heard much good about Broncos, other than that they are cheap.

My opinion: If you're going for a beater, go Japanese. An old toyota 4x4 pickup truck works really well

Old 09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

If your thinking of a Crossfire as an investment, you are seriously mistaken. Ask anyone that has bought one new and ask them what it is worth now. Investments are usually bought with the hope of value going up...

James

Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
umm...I've not heard much good about Broncos, other than that they are cheap.

My opinion: If you're going for a beater, go Japanese. An old toyota 4x4 pickup truck works really well
If you can find one without a rusted frame.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Forum Regular

I kind of semi-store my Crossfire during the winter and keep the full insurance year round. If it's cold and clear and no salt or salt dust, I take it out. Evey week I start it and let the engine oil get hot I put it in gear to circulate the tranny oil and move the car so it won't get flat spots on the tires.

I have a '02 Sierra 4WD to drive in the winter and it works out fine. It's a buyers market on any 4WD vehicle so you should be able to fine plenty.

One advantage to using your Crossfire very little in the winter is that it a real treat to get it out in the spring. It's like getting a new car again. Too bad you guy's in warmer climates can't say that.

I've got a real problem now. My assistant's car blew a head gasket and she can't afford to replace it and I have to take her home every night after work for about 4 weeks. That's OK with me in that I don't mind helping her out except this is my favorite time of year to take the Crossfire to work, and go home with the top down, 60 to 70 degrees. I can't take her in the Crossfire because she doesn't fit. She's about 6'1" and weighs about 325. She barely fits in my Sierra. I wonder what people think when they see us together. Skinny white guy with a very large black woman. We make quite a pair.

Looks like I'm going to robbed out of Fall in the Crossfire.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:50 PM

I grew up on the east coast and drove rear wheel drives(FWD)hadn't been very common back then, or traction control either. Never had a problem driving in snow with RWD's, you just learned 'how' to drive in snow and maybe as with the XF put some weight in the trunk.I knew a lot of friends with Vettes, TA'S, and my GTO which were no problem.
As I said driving in snow is a learned skill. The biggest problem is avoiding those who don't think driving in snow is any different than dry roads and they are a hazzard no matter what you drive.
Easy does it

Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paganstreak
I grew up on the east coast and drove rear wheel drives(FWD)hadn't been very common back then, or traction control either. Never had a problem driving in snow with RWD's, you just learned 'how' to drive in snow and maybe as with the XF put some weight in the trunk.I knew a lot of friends with Vettes, TA'S, and my GTO which were no problem.
As I said driving in snow is a learned skill. The biggest problem is avoiding those who don't think driving in snow is any different than dry roads and they are a hazzard no matter what you drive.
Easy does it
A lot of people have four wheel drive and think it gives them more control. They forget, we all have four wheel stop.

Skidding is the same 2X4 or 4X4 and the objects you strike have the same resistance.

roadster with a stick

Old 09-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by chuck65
I kind of semi-store my Crossfire during the winter and keep the full insurance year round. If it's cold and clear and no salt or salt dust, I take it out. Evey week I start it and let the engine oil get hot I put it in gear to circulate the tranny oil and move the car so it won't get flat spots on the tires.

I have a '02 Sierra 4WD to drive in the winter and it works out fine. It's a buyers market on any 4WD vehicle so you should be able to fine plenty.

One advantage to using your Crossfire very little in the winter is that it a real treat to get it out in the spring. It's like getting a new car again. Too bad you guy's in warmer climates can't say that.

I've got a real problem now. My assistant's car blew a head gasket and she can't afford to replace it and I have to take her home every night after work for about 4 weeks. That's OK with me in that I don't mind helping her out except this is my favorite time of year to take the Crossfire to work, and go home with the top down, 60 to 70 degrees. I can't take her in the Crossfire because she doesn't fit. She's about 6'1" and weighs about 325. She barely fits in my Sierra. I wonder what people think when they see us together. Skinny white guy with a very large black woman. We make quite a pair.

Looks like I'm going to robbed out of Fall in the Crossfire.
Chuck65,

The crossfir is limited to 425lbs, people and load. At 325 lbs she leaves you at 100 lbs.

I figured you for bigger than that.

roadster with a stick

Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Forum Regular
Default Bronco-Smronco

Me Ready...

It's all good.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Move to Texas and you can drive it year round.
That's no joke. My company may very well be moving me to Houston. I think I would love it there reguardless of the hurricanes.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by PhillySRT
Are old Broncos known to be reliable or something? I'm just wondering because I see a LOT of them around here in the winter and never see any in the summer.
I'm not trying to be a smart-azz...really, but you answered your own question. I used to have an old Bronco 2 and it ate Minnesota winters for lunch. The full-size Bronco's are royal gas-hogs but there relativily simple and pretty tough.

Now I'm sorry I ever got rid of it.

Quick Reply: An old Bronco sounds better.