Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Looking for some opinions...

Old 11-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some opinions...

Well, I'm in a bit of a bad situation and I need some outside opinions. You see, all my life I've defended people purchasing vehicles with a manual tranny. Having driven a handful of them for fun and at work I always wished I could have a sports car with a stick sitting in the driveway. Unfortunately, I am a dumbass.

About a month ago I purchased my 05 lmt 6spd, thinking, "I'm gonna have blast driving this car every day". Needless to say the car was really fun, for a week. Week 2, the 6spd had lost its novelty, and a week ago it was becoming more of an annoyance. What's wrong with the car? Nothing, but in buying the 6spd I jumped the gun, completely ignoring the fact that I drive long distances every day and mostly through the city.

Driving the 6spd in constant stop and go isn't my idea of fun, compound that with minor weekly back ups/mini traffic jams on my usual routes and the manual tranny is just plain aggravating. I rarely even get the chance to drive the car above 5th gear (sometimes even 4th, depending on traffic). I have enough on my plate trying to earn my bachelor's degree currently and I'm running out of reasons to back up my ongoing argument with my fiancee over the practicality of owning a crossfire .

I just can't justify a large sum of money on a car which is, for me at least, completely impractical. On the flip-side, my time spent driving in the country has been amazing, and I do love the crossfire in general. So my options are as follows:

- Keep the car (which is basically out)

- Find an auto crossfire (seems unlikely, I started looking a week ago, plenty of new xfires to be found at around 17-18k, but no used auto cars in my area which fall into my price range)

- Go with a different car (I'm open to recommendations, I'm looking for something sporty yet practical, probably auto or manumatic, in the $10-13k range).

So what would you do? I've been straining my brain for a week thinking about this and I need some (sort of) unbiased opinions.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Looking for some opinions...

When my wife and I went Crossfire shopping, we test drove at least 10 of them, of all variations. Auto, 6sp, Coupe, Roadster, etc... The 6sp was great driving but we knew it would get old. We learned about the auto-stick and decided to go with it and I am glad. Sure, in the Dragon a stick would be awesome, but that is only twice a year.

Be patient, the right Auto-stick Crossfire will come your way.

After the weekend in the Dragon, I find myself trying to tap shift my other automatic car! It really is addicting when you want to have a little fun.

Good luck, James

PS, don't narrow your search too much, I drove 100 miles to find the one I wanted.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM

I've heard of people turning them into 3spd's. 1st gear is so small they just go 2, 4, 6. I'ld never do that myself. I love shifting and can do it all day long. BTW, I find the "sprint booster" really helps ALOT.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 PM

I kind of see where you are coming from. I used to drive tons of city miles, it was only aggravating when I was first learning to drive a stick (long time ago with a different car). After my first car which was a manual... I got an automatic. It felt really strange, and I became really lazy... lol.

But I am just the opposite... I love driving the car in the city where I can shift, stomp, and have fun. In the country it is just 6th gear and cruise control... not so eventful.

But if you want advise... I would not keep a car I hated to drive. I cannot see that happening with a Crossfire though.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

you know having driven big rigs my whole life...there are plenty of ways for you to cheat in traffic w/ a stick...you just need to practice and get use to it...pop it out of gear when setting at lts...coast...when moving slow, putting it back in gear to stop, then take it back out of gear.....I don't even think about shifting anymore, it just happens...you can make an auto out of stick if you practive...you don't have to shift every gear 1 to 3, 4 for most traffic...probably could take off in 2nd, but I wouldn't...you have to make your commute fun...you have to pace yourself thru traffic w/ a stick letting her roll up to other cars, not pushing in on the clutch until you just have to...you don't want to stay w/ traffic, you just want to move alone w/ it...don't be impatient, leave room in front of you to coast...I rarely ever stop at a stop lt, I just roll up to it, timing it so I can go w/ the rest of the traffic...momentum is your friend...always rolling...running to stop lt to stop lt, braking each time gets old...wears out brakes...find you a way to have fun w/ it...

Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mika33
But I am just the opposite... I love driving the car in the city where I can shift, stomp, and have fun. In the country it is just 6th gear and cruise control... not so eventful.
Hah, sounds like your missing out. Here in central PA, I've got some paved mountain roads around my home. Without going into a rant, twisty mountain roads have always been my favorite place to drive.

Originally Posted by mika33
But if you want advise... I would not keep a car I hated to drive. I cannot see that happening with a Crossfire though.
^That does seem to be my issue, I hate the car in aggressive city driving, absolutely love it for tearing around in the countryside.

Just out of curiosity, I've gotten 2 comments saying "you can start off in 2nd, but I'd wouldn't do it". I've actually never done it, but have always heard that starting in 2nd is a bad move, is that just because its hard on the tranny? Or does it heavily affect performance/cause some other wear?

I suppose james has the right idea, I should keep my eye out for an auto while attempting some patience and not narrowing my search

Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Starting in 2nd may require slipping the clutch a little. Other than that, why not? If you don't mind reving and slipping the clutch a bit you can take off in 3rd. As far as hating driving a manual in traffic, well that won't change. I suggest taking your time and keep searching for an auto, especially since nothing is wrong with your car. What I'm really curious about is if traffic is the problem or actually having to concentrate on driving? At times I'm frustrated by my Crossfire, but its because it's the most fun at the limit and traffic, and sanity, prevents me from driving it the way I enjoy it the most.

Les

Old 11-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
What I'm really curious about is if traffic is the problem or actually having to concentrate on driving? At times I'm frustrated by my Crossfire, but its because it's the most fun at the limit and traffic, and sanity, prevents me from driving it the way I enjoy it the most.

Les

I've never thought about it in that way, but your probably right, being forced to concentrate on driving is what's causing the frustration. I'm sure its my inexperience in traffic, especially when aggressive driving is required, but having to think about what action I'll take next to negotiate the throng of cars around me just sucks the fun out of the whole driving experience.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

oledoc2u has hit it right on the head, pace yourself and it becomes fun.
If I was into kung fu I would say 'become one with the car' but thats hokey and I won't, but you get the drift.
Keep at it, selling this car and buying another is going to cost more money.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I live in a suburban, even rural, area so driving a stick is a pleasure. Getting caught in Chicago or Detroit rush hour traffic is no fun, but it's only a small part of a 150-180 mile drive so I ignore it. I guess if I had to deal with it constantly I would reconsider the stick for fear of developing one big muscular left leg.

I see only one way out. Sell the Corvettes and buy a Crossfire with an automatic,

Old 11-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Yep, sorry.... don't take this wroing, but I agree.... Your a dumbass! Sorry, just couldn't resist! It's all in good fun.... really!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

the 2nd gear thing is ok if done rt, but most people slip the clutch and that can lead to other problems, but if you keep rolling just a little, then it would be fine...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samuell421
So what would you do? I've been straining my brain for a week thinking about this and I need some (sort of) unbiased opinions.
Buy a cheap Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic for around $1000 to $1500 and your problems will be over. Then drive your XF on weekends and never worry about a door ding or an accident.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
you know having driven big rigs my whole life...there are plenty of ways for you to cheat in traffic w/ a stick...you just need to practice and get use to it...pop it out of gear when setting at lts...coast...when moving slow, putting it back in gear to stop, then take it back out of gear.....I don't even think about shifting anymore, it just happens...you can make an auto out of stick if you practive...you don't have to shift every gear 1 to 3, 4 for most traffic...probably could take off in 2nd, but I wouldn't...you have to make your commute fun...you have to pace yourself thru traffic w/ a stick letting her roll up to other cars, not pushing in on the clutch until you just have to...you don't want to stay w/ traffic, you just want to move alone w/ it...don't be impatient, leave room in front of you to coast...I rarely ever stop at a stop lt, I just roll up to it, timing it so I can go w/ the rest of the traffic...momentum is your friend...always rolling...running to stop lt to stop lt, braking each time gets old...wears out brakes...find you a way to have fun w/ it...
I couldn't agree more.

I've driven manuals for so long it's second nature....kind of like breathing, I just never think about it, and I guarantee my rush-hour drive is much more gridlocked than yours in Alexandria!

Maybe you just need to spice it up.....get a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust....it makes "rowing through the gears" ever so much enjoyable!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Forum Regular

Okay, it's official...In my on-going search for the perfect Crossfire, I'll now be looking to own an automatic.....

Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Okay, it's official...In my on-going search for the perfect Crossfire, I'll now be looking to own an automatic.....
pshh you guys are babies

Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

Correction-- Baby automatic drivers.....

Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Correction-- Baby automatic drivers.....

Maybe you're not man enough to drive a stickshift......I suggest you let Smithers drive!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Forum Regular

My other car is a stick, genius!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. This thread is simply amazing.

I can't imagine not wanting to drive a stick! My SRT-6 is the first car I've ever owned that wasn't a stick, and I was VERY hesitant to buy it because of that. If I could wave a magic wand and make it a stick, I would.

You say that driving in heavy traffic is why you want an automatic?!? You're kidding right? Unless you're driving 100 miles a day into Pittsburgh, there isn't anything even remotely close to rush hour traffic in your area. I've been all over that area Altoona / Port Matilda / Bellefont / State College and the closest any of that comes to real traffic is in State College on a home game day for Penn State. The game day traffic is pretty ridiculous, I'll give it that. So don't go to State College on Saturdays in the fall, and keep your car!

Quick Reply: Looking for some opinions...