Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Feelings on 215hp?

Old 06-04-2003, 03:01 AM
imported_mightyjlr
Default Feelings on 215hp?

I am 100% sure I will be buying a Crossfire as my next car, as I love the look of it, and am looking to buy an American car. How does everyone feel about the 215hp? I am a little dissapointed by it, as it would have been significantly better if they even bumped it up to 230hp. How does everyone feel about this?

Old 06-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Chrysler is now so well tied to Mercedes-Benz,it seems this first year car will have ALL of the SLK features....215HP. Looking ahead to next year,you can bet that the Crossfire will have engine opinions,a turbo at least. Lets just hope the first year Crossfire owners yell loudly enough at Chrysler to get the horse power boosted for the following years!!

Old 06-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Anonymous

Don't worry about the 215hp, its more than enough to move the Crossfire. In this months Car and Driver, the Crossfire reached 60mph in 6.5 seconds. If you want more power you will have to wait another year or so.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:26 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Yea, I'm not really THAT worried about the 215hp myself, but for the price you have others putting out 250-280 hp. 215hp for me is fine, as it will be my first venture into rear wheel drive and manual transmission, and in 2 years I'll trade it in for the convertible. It will be annoying though, as you know people will bash it for only having 215hp.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:25 AM

The sad part on the HP was that the concept car as shown in the Chrysler magazine a year or so ago had the hp at 275. For some reason DC dropped it to 215. And the 0-60 times I have seen quoted in the reviews and ads are "Chrysler estimates" not actual speeds achieved by the reviewer. Seems like they ought to have official 0-60 and 0-100 speeds from the test track by now.

Old 06-20-2003, 01:44 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by BigMike60
The sad part on the HP was that the concept car as shown in the Chrysler magazine a year or so ago had the hp at 275. For some reason DC dropped it to 215. And the 0-60 times I have seen quoted in the reviews and ads are "Chrysler estimates" not actual speeds achieved by the reviewer. Seems like they ought to have official 0-60 and 0-100 speeds from the test track by now.
Car and Driver reviewed the Crossfire and got 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 14.8 seconds at 98 mph. You can read the article here.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Forum Regular

UK figures quote 0 - 60 as 7.3 seconds???

Old 06-21-2003, 02:18 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by lordpercy
UK figures quote 0 - 60 as 7.3 seconds???
I don't know... I have heard something of the engine tuned a little differently for in Europe, but nothing concrete. And a difference of .8 seconds is a little big. Maybe it was really 0-100kph and an automatic that was tested.

Old 06-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular
Default maybe

I had heard the auto would be quicker off the mark, this is the case with the SLK and given the crossfire manual is not the best this seems quite possible.

Old 06-21-2003, 05:19 PM
imported_mightyjlr
Default Re: maybe

Originally Posted by lordpercy
I had heard the auto would be quicker off the mark, this is the case with the SLK and given the crossfire manual is not the best this seems quite possible.
I hope the automatic isn't faster. I can't tell which transmission was tested for the 0-60 time, but I'm assuming it was the manual. One strange thing I noticed was that the Crossfire's 5mph-60mph test was 6.9 seconds, .4 seconds longer than its 0-60. Is this normal for cars? I don't understand how it could possibly be longer.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by mightyjlr
Originally Posted by BigMike60
Car and Driver reviewed the Crossfire and got 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 14.8 seconds at 98 mph. You can read the article here.
0-60 times aren't very important or significant in my eyes, it's based mostly on gearing.. but a 14.8 1/4 time ain't bad at all for a car with that much hp and it's weight.. wish 1/4 times were weighted more than 0-60..

later..

Old 06-23-2003, 03:47 PM

I haven't got my issue of Car and Driver yet. Thanks for the info on the times. One review I saw from March I think it was indicated it was sluggish on passing at the higher speeds. Wish they had left it with the 275 hp originally promised. Still it appears it will be faster off the line than my 99 300M.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM

5-60 times are slower than 0-60 times because of how the test is performed...

0-60 involves rev-ing the engine way up and then just slipping your foot off the clutch (not the best for long-term reliability, but great for getting the best 0-60.

5-60 is a rolling start (like most owners would use). You are travelling 5mph with the clutch out and then you floor the gas.

Make sense?

Old 06-23-2003, 08:18 PM

Ah, one more thing...

Does anyone have any concrete info on if a higher horsepower engine will be made available in 05 or 06?

I'm really starting to warm to the Crossfire and am trying to get up to speed on any of the rumors/info people have been able to get.

Great to see a Crossfire forum.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:26 PM
imported_mightyjlr

ptenthus,
Thanks for the info, I figured it had something to do with the launch. As for the Crossfire having a higher powered engine sometime in the future... no confirmed rumors yet, but I WOULD bet on it. I don't see how they can't, well except for the fact that Chrysler has a habit of underpowering all of their cars. Every review says something about the car being underpowered. There definately is a market for more power and the higher pricetag that goes along with it, especially when you have these Crossfires selling for 5-10k over sticker. Once the "I want it first" syndrome wears off, and they come down in price again, I dont see why people wouldnt pay 40k for a 250-275hp Crossfire. As for me, I'm leasing my Crossfire for 2 years hoping the convertible will be out by then, hopefully with more power.

PS. Nice PT forum you have going there. Hopefully someday this site will be that big.

Old 06-24-2003, 12:15 PM

ptenthus,
... Once the "I want it first" syndrome wears off, and they come down in price again, I dont see why people wouldnt pay 40k for a 250-275hp Crossfire. As for me, I'm leasing my Crossfire for 2 years hoping the convertible will be out by then, hopefully with more power.

PS. Nice PT forum you have going there. Hopefully someday this site will be that big.
I hope Chrysler ramps up production quickly (yes, I know that it is really Karmann) just so they can get the extra dealer mark-ups out of the system. PT's were that way for almost a year (some dealers were putting anywhere between a 2k-10k markup on those, if you can believe it). I'd advise everyone to resist paying anything over MSRP, it will just come back to bite you in a year or so when the new ones are selling for sticker or a little below.

It would also be really nice to see a 250-275hp Crossfire to make it more competitive with the cars that people are sure to cross-shop (no pun intended), like the Z, RX-8, etc.

At the very least, they should try to match the new TT V-6 (250hp).

Oh, and I'm sure that you will do quite well with this site. Just be sure to get it listed in the search engines, keep the content up-to-date, etc. and you can make sure that this becomes _the_ place to come for Crossfire information and updates. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Forum Regular

Frankly, I'd hope that they keep this fella on a low production quantity line just because I don't want to see as many of them as I do Lexus 430SCs and TTs.

You can't drive a Prowler or a Viper down the street without heads turning, even after over 5 years. Owning a limited production vehicle does have its perks.

Want a normal production vehicle, go buy a 320SLK :P

There are also pretty darn good Mercedes mod shops that will very quickly take your Crossfire up to and over 300HP. Many of them are now crossing over to offering Mercedes packages for the Crossfire since it is running on the Mercedes R170 platform.

Old 06-30-2003, 07:28 PM

The primary reason as to why the concept Crossfire had 275 HP is because it was equipped with a supercharger.That makes a heck of a lot of difference.

As to being a production vehicle rated at just 215 HP......well Chrysler tends to underate thier production figures.A prime example....the Turbo PTs are "factory" rated at 215 HP.The vast majority of independent tests show that the Turbo PT actually averages between 235-245 HP...depending on conditions BUT the readings taken at the same location......I can't remember if Chrysler uses HP ratings at engine to tranny delivery or at tire to road though.

In other words....I wouldn't be surprised if the Crossfire is developing closer to 230 HP.......

InfernoRed

Old 07-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Default Re: Feelings on 215hp?

I am 100% sure I will be buying a Crossfire as my next car, as I love the look of it, and am looking to buy an American car. How does everyone feel about the 215hp? I am a little dissapointed by it, as it would have been significantly better if they even bumped it up to 230hp. How does everyone feel about this?
Just thought i would let you know, that a subaru forester 2.5xt can now beat a crossfire stock vs. stock forester does the 0-60 in 5.3 and 1/4 mile in 13.8 @ 97mph.. pretty sick for a wannabe suv..

Old 07-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Forum Regular

SUV and Sports car--totally different. Heck a Lincoln Aviator has 300+ horses--who cares? Let's try and compare apples to apples. :roll: Cannot remember the last time a Subaru turned any heads...

Quick Reply: Feelings on 215hp?