Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Front License Plate holder

Old 08-21-2003, 09:41 AM
mls
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate holder

Does anyone know where I can get a front license plate holder that does not require me to drill holes in the front bumper? I have been driving the car for a few weeks and have been stopped twice for not having a front license plate.

Chrylser customer assistance suggested that I drill the holes and install the plastic frame they provided. They had no other suggestions.

Old 08-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Forum Regular

Wow--stopped twice--where do you live? My past three cars I've left off the front plate becasue it looks terrible. I guess the cops are just cool here in TX (because it's the law to have a front plate).

I told them not to put the front holder on the Xfire because it would really take away from the car. However, I cannot think of any other way of putting it on w/o drilling holes (OUCH!). Double sided tape won't work. I hate to say it, but you will probably have to drill it--have your dealer do it though.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:09 AM

Hey guys, I live in Gods country (NJ) and I did place the license holder on the front. I didn't want the hassle or potential hassle of being stopped. The dealer did drill to mount it but the car is so far above the normal car in looks, style, and class, it only takes away a fraction of it's looks.

Old 08-21-2003, 12:16 PM

You could probably have a body shop make a bracket to attach under the front and attach the license plate to that. I did this "several" years back, its so long ago I don't even remember the car I did it on. I lived in NJ then. Thankfully Fl only requires one plate.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:52 PM

I live in TX and they told me the front plate isn't necessary because you can have anything you want on it.

For example, if you were in a fraternity you can have your letters on the front of the car. I SEE so many cars here in TX with special tags in front and the license tag in the rear.

That is what I was told. I may have to get confirmation again. I would hate to drill the porr baby..

Old 08-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular

Who is "they" told you?? It IS against the law to only have one tag in TX. Those that have something else besides a matching plate are breaking the law just like those with nothing (me). However, it's one of those things that they typcially will ticket you for if they've already pulled you over for something else, then notice that you do not a front plate and tack that on to the ticket.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:59 PM

Okay I called DOT. She said yes it is the law, but only enforced by the officer that stops you. She said it will catch up with you at some point. I may have to take my chances..LOL!!

What if I move to a state that doesn't require it..then what!

Old 08-21-2003, 05:26 PM

Move to Florida, we only have one tag, in the rear. States like New Jerksey should get with the times!!!!! :P

Old 08-21-2003, 06:33 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by prowler39
Move to Florida, we only have one tag, in the rear. States like New Jerksey should get with the times!!!!! :P
I wish they would, but I bet Florida requires a Front License plate before New Jersey doesn't...

Old 08-21-2003, 07:29 PM

All you need is a gigantic magnet on the inside of the bumper. :lol:

Old 08-21-2003, 10:34 PM

I agree with you, Mightyjlr. It is the trend to have all states to require 2 registration plates.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:39 AM
mls

Does anyone know if a Viper front plate holder will work for the Crossfire?

Old 08-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Forum Regular

I wouldn't risk it--your dealer HAS to provide the plate holder for you. Did it not come with your car?

Old 08-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular

My car came with the plate holder already installed. I didn't have to lift a finger.

I wouldn't mess with the law in a car as visible as the Crossfire. I've already been "pulled over" by a cop who wanted a better look, don't want him to find something wrong while he's admiring the car.

Old 08-22-2003, 06:33 PM

I like the idea of the magnet :-).... but I will just see what the dealer does. The car was so eye catching the first time I saw it, i can't remember if it had plates or not..lol..

Old 08-23-2003, 07:54 PM
mls

The dealer left the front plate off, and I will need to make a service appointment in order to get the holes drilled. Both the front and back plates are flimsy plastic.

I keep putting it off, hoping that there is an alternative.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:09 PM
imported_mightyjlr

When I get mine, I plan on mounting the license plate in the front window. A few of my friends have done the same thing. Just put it on the dash, and then buy 2 suction cups with hooks on them, and attach the hooks to the top holes on the license plate and put the suction cups on the window. The front plate is required in NJ, but none of them have gotten a ticket for it. I know at least one of them has gotten pulled over for something else, and the cop didn't give him a ticket for it.

Old 08-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular

Make sure you tell your dealer not to mount the holder during prep if you don't want it. Otherwise, you might have holes you don't want.

Old 08-23-2003, 09:26 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by mouserider
Make sure you tell your dealer not to mount the holder during prep if you don't want it. Otherwise, you might have holes you don't want.
Already done!

Old 08-24-2003, 08:03 AM

I'm with Jimbo and Prowler I'm glad iI live in Flordia the one plate state.my Crossfire came with the plate holder but It was In trunk.Did anyone have the pinstripping done to the car,all I had done was the door guards and the plastic chrome trim around the wheel wells

Quick Reply: Front License Plate holder