Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I'm about to part with my Crossfire and I don't know if I can do it

Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm about to part with my Crossfire and I don't know if I can do it

I'll preface this by saying mine has had to have a couple of things fixed on it, but I still love everything about my Crossfire. I enjoy getting into it a few times a week, turning the music up and disappearing for an undisclosed amount of time. I bought her used at 50k miles and she now has 94k on her, and I feel she has alot left to give.

I've been accepted to law school for this fall, I may defer till next fall, but regardless the Crossfire isn't something I can pay for simultaneously. I'm going to probably try to sell it around $8k (around what I owe on it) but feel it's worth quite a bit more than that. I fully plan on getting another once I graduate (SRT6 anyone?!) but I don't know how I'm going to part with this one. I took it out tonight and have been sitting here trying to figure out what to do. I don't think I can stomach someone else driving off in it.

Any one here ever sold one, not been able to deal with it, then bought another? I could see me doing something ridiculous like this a month after selling it. I'm going to miss the permagrins. I don't think there is another vehicle on the market with a community half as helpful as this one.

Anyway, I digress before the consumption of alcohol further renders my judgement skewed.

Thanks for reading.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: I'm about to part with my Crossfire and I don't know if I can do it

Well, I assume you'll replace it with something cheaper to own & operate......what would the difference be / month / year? (taxes/insurance/loan pmts/ ect.)......is it possible to refi & decrease the pmt?

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM
RPM

Bettering yourself is far more important IMO than a car. I realize that to most of us on here the Crossfire is more than a car, but in reality, that is all it is.
If there is not a practical way of keeping it and going to law school, let it go. There will always be some for sale. You can always get another one when the time is right.
Congrats on the law school acceptance and good luck.

Cheers.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM
Bettering yourself is far more important IMO than a car. I realize that to most of us on here the Crossfire is more than a car, but in reality, that is all it is.
If there is not a practical way of keeping it and going to law school, let it go. There will always be some for sale. You can always get another one when the time is right.

Cheers.
Very well said. Plus, once you're done and famous, you can buy all the Crossfires you want.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM

Cheers.
This is good advise. I agree, and good luck with school.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with selling your car. It's really hard to GIVE these cars away. I've had mine for sale over 3 months and not ONE single looker. Great condition, 42K, new motor, but nobody wants a Chrysler.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 AM

here's my take on it. The car has 94K on it which is quite a few miles. I really don't think you're gonna get 8 or more for it right now. Then you sell it for whatever, and get something else, that you don't really know what you're getting, and for something decent, because used car prices have increased, you're still going to have to pony up maybe 5K anyway. So now, losing what you really love for 3K and not knowing how the new one will hold up is to me not that good of a trade. Unless you can rely on public transport, or a motorcycle for your regular transport I just don't see that selling the Cross is that financially sound. I agree that it is just a car, but if it is in really good shape, having reliable transport is more important if that's what you need. I would see about a refi if possible.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Reminds me of when I sold my 1970 Dodge Charger...I thought I would always buy another one and ever did. Oh well. It was a good looking car for its size.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM

Your future is more important than any car (as I bite my tongue while typing this......).
But, that being said, MDaniels is quite correct; you sell it & then buy some other vehicle that starts to nickel & dime you to death & you end up no better off.
I suppose it would depend on just how much you may owe on the car yet. If payments are still hanging over your head then refinancing might not be a bad idea. Interest rates have dropped like flies lately, perhaps you can renegotiate your loan.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys!

I already have a '98 Toyota 4Runner that is paid for. I plan on using it during school, the Crossfire was my college graduation present to myself back in '07. The 4Runner, however, has 178k miles on it and I tow my boat with it so I don't know how much longer it'll last. The boat is right at the max towing capacity (5000lbs). It breaking down is a constant concern for me. It's never had a timing belt change, so it's due one soon. The 4Runner is my baby as well, and I've had it since high school, could never part with it. It's never broke down either, which is something of a rarity in my opinion, though Toyotas are known for said quality.

I definately know I need to sell it, that's really not the issue at hand, more so how I do it. I feel confident I'll throw up watching it go out of site. And if I can't get $8k for it, I may just find a way to keep it during school, my income is going to drop substantially however.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

My friend is in Law School right now, and lives in NY.

He just landed a great internship that pays very well.

Have you tried looking into that? Might help supplement the missing income and you get to keep her.

There is always the sugar mama route, again NY is a great place for that...lol

What state will you be residing in?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Have you considered selling the 4Runner and the boat and keeping the XF?
Time for another drink.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:17 PM

Ah, given that the 4 runner may poop with that many miles on it, if you sold the cross you'd be sticking that much into theToy. And I have a boat with the same issue THAT thing keeps quarter and dollar-ing me to death. That would be the thing that goes first in my opinion. So again, you get good mileage with the Cross, better than the 4Runner, you can use the boat sporadically, and in Law school that time will be dramatically reduced! Sell the Toy and the boat, get closer to paying off the Cross and you'll be in fine shape. just my 2 cents. Whatever you decide, good wishes all around and congrats on school! Mark

Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

We had better be careful what advice we give, this guys going to sue us if we give the wrong advice.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand how you feel at this moment. It is a great car and has been a friend to you.

Whatever you decide, dream big and envision your future in a positive way! You love the crossfire and you will be able to find another, if you set your mind to it. If not, just go and look at a corvette, porsche, or something else with a big wow factor..put it on your dream list...see it and be it. You can have whatever you desire with enough faith and a positive attitude.

Great luck

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Everybody here by Lake Michigan knows that a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money into. So speaking from the heart, not the head, sell the freaking boat and pay down the XF. Finding reliable XFs in the future will be harder and harder -- boats are a dime a dozen. Heck, you can save money by driving the XF in the summer and the Toy in the winter. Besides, with all the studying you'll have to do, you won't have time to trailer it anywhere anyway.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 PM

I would have to agree with most of the above. Sell the boat, pay down the xfire, refi whats left. Than start playing the insurance game. Insure Toyota in the winter (park xfire) and insure xfire in summer(park the toyota)

Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 AM

Sorry for the long delay between my replies, I've been traveling a bit this week.

I would sell the 4Runner if it wasn't paid off, I feel it'll carry me for a while also (may be my heart speaking more than my head). I doubt I'd make any money on it anyway because it has a salvage title where my father and I rebuilt it. You can't tell a difference, but the title alone would hinder me. Plus I need it to tow the boat, which I will elaborate a little more on:

I've wakeboarded for a long time, and I competed nationally on my collegiate team. The boat I have I can not sell till 2010, per my agreement with the manufacturer. So, I have to keep it for atleast that long, which I don't have that much of a problem with I am paying on it, but literally it's a fraction of the retail price and I'll profit from selling it in 2010 (it's currently 35k below NADA). It costs 1/3 of what I pay monthly for my XFire.

I'm probably going to clean my Crossfire up and put it on Craigslist this coming week

Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

good luck in Law School my friend, as a former barefooter, and neighbor to a pro wake boarder, Nick Griffin...you can't play forever...You have to start a career. I sold my boat, RV, crotch rocket (Ninja) and moved on...but I was 50...so go to school, I assure you, the toys will return, you will compete again, and another car will catch your eye. Now at 55, I am playing on my Harley, looking for another crotch rocket, and enjoying the XF...oh, and I did a lot skiing on Norris, so I know you understand connections to first Mastercraft, then Malibu...always love new challenges...have fun in life my friend...

Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
good luck in Law School my friend, as a former barefooter, and neighbor to a pro wake boarder, Nick Griffin...you can't play forever...You have to start a career. I sold my boat, RV, crotch rocket (Ninja) and moved on...but I was 50...so go to school, I assure you, the toys will return, you will compete again, and another car will catch your eye. Now at 55, I am playing on my Harley, looking for another crotch rocket, and enjoying the XF...oh, and I did a lot skiing on Norris, so I know you understand connections to first Mastercraft, then Malibu...always love new challenges...have fun in life my friend...
Very cool, I absolutely love Norris and am up there quite a bit. I've always been partial to Supra myself, but I'd take a Malibu or Mastercraft in a heartbeat.