Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Horrible in the rain!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Horrible in the rain!!!!!

Originally Posted by Kurts
Rain, snow (though I try not to!), ice, sand, wind, pestilence, locusts, frogs, etc., I've driven through them all & it ALWAYS comes down to the tires.
I just replaced my Goodyear F1 A/S's because, though they still looked like they probably had another 2 or 3K left on them, they were starting to get dicey when it rained. If I'm hydroplaning at 50mph it's time for new tires!

2005, sorry hearing about what must of been one heck of an adrenaline rush but I'd start thinking about scoring some different tires.

Good luck!!!!
Driving thru frogs. Yes I double read. (Frogs) Squirrel Crusher

Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
Driving thru frogs. Yes I double read. (Frogs) Squirrel Crusher
Yeah, got a little biblical there, couldn't help it!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Horrible in the rain!!!

Originally Posted by 2005crossfire6speed
I have 51,000 on mine and a few burnouts have been done. But they still look ok
If you have 50K on them, please go replace them. I realize they are an all season tire, but if I remember correctly still H or V rated, so consider yourself lucky to get 50K out of them. I have 9K on my summer tires and need new ones already

Old 09-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My tires used to spin a lot in the rain. I got new Continental tires and they grabbed the road in even the worst conditions. And my old tires still looked pretty good. My guess is get new tires (even thought you think they still have life in them). Spend 800 dollars on Continentals and you will not have any more problems.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Banned

For what it's worth, here are survey results for Ultra High Performance All Season Tires. Take a gander at 'wet traction' and 'hydroplaning resistance' performance as it relates to this thread - draw your own conclusions.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

If you've got 50K on your tires, 2005crossfire6speed, don't blame them for spinning out. Blame yourself. Time for some new shoes.

PS: Where do you live? Do you need all season tires?... or would summer tires be a better fit?

Last edited by dwightdmagee; 09-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but it is timely as I have had my Xfire for about 3 months now and two days ago I was driving in the rain for only the second time and had the traction control light up three times, the last being a near-spin. The first two were a little fish-tailing as I started from a stop and the last was coming out of a negative camber 90 degree turn. Could easily be that I put the power on a little early/ too heavily but the rain was very light and this concerned me. I know I should answer the same questions as "2005", so I'm about to go out and get that and some pics. Sounds like I need new shoes but as a total newbie to all this I would love to have some advice, too.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 AM

Follow-up - My tires are Falken FK452's and I've attached photos. No idea how long they've been on the car, but the car has only 35, 000 km's on it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front.jpg (1.76 MB, 5 views)
front tread.jpg (1.58 MB, 14 views)
rear.jpg (1.27 MB, 3 views)
rear tread.jpg (1.31 MB, 12 views)
Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midlife chrysler
Not to hijack this thread, but it is timely as I have had my Xfire for about 3 months now and two days ago I was driving in the rain for only the second time and had the traction control light up three times, the last being a near-spin. The first two were a little fish-tailing as I started from a stop and the last was coming out of a negative camber 90 degree turn. Could easily be that I put the power on a little early/ too heavily but the rain was very light and this concerned me. I know I should answer the same questions as "2005", so I'm about to go out and get that and some pics. Sounds like I need new shoes but as a total newbie to all this I would love to have some advice, too.
I am amazed at some of these posts, your car only weights 3400lbs and 90inch wheel base with 216fwhp.....it's gonna spin if you're not careful. Try switching the transmission to winter operation on wet roads....take my word for it....it helps !!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires do great in the rain, you may want to look into getting a set. I have no issues at all driving in the rain.

Wow those Pilot Sport A/S Plus have fantastic ratings at tire rack, i wonder if those all seasons really are that good in the dry? If so, those are the tires to get. I just wonder if they really do handle as well as a summer only performance tire does in the corners. If they do then those will be my next set of tires.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 09-23-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
5 complete rotations when only doing 50mph sounds pretty excessive. Any chance there was some oil spilled on the road and the rain just made matters worse? I know here in SoCal we'll go many months without rain so all the oil getting deposited on the freeways doesn't get washed away. And when it finally does rain, it doesn't rain all that hard - just enough to bring all that oil to the surface and make things insanely slick in some areas.
In BC we have this situation each fall. While there is not an oil spill as such, the roads build up an slick of oil from each of the cars and trucks that pass over it during the summer. First hard rain and the roads are a skating rink no matter what type of tires you have.
This may be the situation you have if you have had a long spell without rain and then a hard rain.
Recomendation - First hard rain - turn on the "W" setting for that day.

Last edited by lesr; 09-23-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Follow-up - My tires are Falken FK452's and I've attached photos. No idea how long they've been on the car, but the car has only 35, 000 km's on it.
Actually, your Falken's look pretty good. They are probably the second set of tires on the car, and are no were near the wear indicator bars (the wear bar is the chubby horizontal bar that is visible between the treads - see your #2 thumbnail). Should be good to go for at least another 5-10K, IMO.

Last edited by dwightdmagee; 09-23-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stogey
Try switching the transmission to winter operation on wet roads....take my word for it....it helps !!!

Yep, that's the answer.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Been looking through the manual to find out how the switch from summer to winter transmission is done, can't seem to find it?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
My Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tires do great in the rain, you may want to look into getting a set. I have no issues at all driving in the rain.

Wow those Pilot Sport A/S Plus have fantastic ratings at tire rack, i wonder if those all seasons really are that good in the dry? If so, those are the tires to get. I just wonder if they really do handle as well as a summer only performance tire does in the corners. If they do then those will be my next set of tires.
The Pilot Sport A/S doesn't corner as well as a max performance summer tire (e.g., the PS2) on dry roads. They also won't corner as well as a max performance summer tire in wet (non-frozen) conditions. All season tires provide a handling advantage in snow/icy/mud conditions. So unless you expect to drive in snow or off-road, you won't get the best handling performance with all-season tires. However, in general you should expect better ride comfort and tread life with an all-season tire.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:36 PM

Been looking through the manual to find out how the switch from summer to winter transmission is done, can't seem to find it?
If you have a 6 speed, you won't have the "W/S" rocker switch on the console. "W" is for winter. In that setting the autostick -equipped Crossfire starts out in 2nd gear instead of 1st to minimize wheel spin in slippery condition.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stogey
I am amazed at some of these posts, your car only weights 3400lbs...
...3140lbs...

Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
"W" is for winter.
And wet.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM

If there is more tead depth on the front tires than on the back tires all cars will tend to spin out sooner. Make sure the rear tires have as much or more tread than the fronts.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:56 PM

Ok I have a manual car so i dont have the w mode.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My contis were miserable in the rain and impossible in the snow after 25K, even with 5/32 left.

Quick Reply: Horrible in the rain!!!