Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

BAQK PAIN AND VIBRATION

Old 01-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAQK PAIN AND VIBRATION

Hi fellow Owners

I and a freind bought our cars at the same time and have owned them for just over a month now. I am delighted with my own car BUT my freind is having problems. Has anyone xperienced vibration from the stering over 60 and through the peddles="Auto". He is suffering with very bad back pain and he belives it to be the seat along with the vibration. The dealer say carn't find a problem. So any help on this one please. Think this may be an isolated problem but not sure........
Car has done roughly 1500 miles.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2004, 04:35 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Something must be wrong with his car. Even at 100 my car is perfectly smooth with no vibration. I have never driven a car that is so stale and smooth at high speeds. Which tires does he have?

Old 01-12-2004, 04:56 PM

As with mightyjlr's 6 speed my auto is extremely smooth. I've had mine up to around 115 and just as smooth there as at 15.

I did have a back problem that was aggrivated by a car once. I've had 2 spinal compression injuries. One from a sprint car accident in 1972 and a second from a helicopter accident in 1981. In 1995 I bought a Ford Probe GT with a 5 speed manual. I started having some lower back pain but never thought about the car being the problem at first. Finally one day I couldn't even get out of bed. When I finally got to a Doctor he could figure out what was causing my problem so he sent me to a physical theropist. I would go get a treatment and feel much better for a few days and then slowly but surely the pain came back. Finally he went out to my car with me and had me sit in the car and go through the motion of shifting. He figured out that it was the hight of the seat combined with functioning the clutch that was causing my problem. I Traded the Probe for a Vette with an automatic and my problem was cured.

So, in conclusion.... A car can cause a back problem. Especially if you've had a history of back injury.

I hope this helps in some way.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:08 PM

Just for referance my auto equipped Crossfire is rock stable at any speed with no vibration at all, as a matter of fact it's the smoothest "sports" car I have ever owned. I did have a Honda Civic (snicker ops: ) once that did kill my back for a while though.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:15 PM

S-m-o-o-o-t-hc

Now don't laugh, butc A couple of years ago I was having pains in my lower back and my right "cheek" was going numb. All of this no matter what I drove, but particulalrly so with my RV. The solution? I took my wallet out before I climberd in the driver's seat. Seems that little bit of extra thickness on one side was causing a nerve to be pinched. No, really.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:19 PM

Not laughing Reg, same thing happened to me.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Forum Regular

Hi harry good to hear from you again,

I've got over 2k on the clock and no vibrations at all just some misty headlamps and sad looking (saggy) leather. Did have a back reaction within the first week of getting the car (had the same when i got my old MR2) but back seems to mold to the new position and all is comfy now

Old 01-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular

No vibrations. I've driven non-stop from NYC to Toronto, Canada and back. At times going pretty darn fast to crawling speeds in traffic.

For a sports coupe, this thing is really smooth and even the bumps are not as hazardous as some other sports cars I've owned, just remember to keep the tongue inside the mouth

Old 01-13-2004, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Reg Kittrelle
S-m-o-o-o-t-hc

Now don't laugh, butc A couple of years ago I was having pains in my lower back and my right "cheek" was going numb. All of this no matter what I drove, but particulalrly so with my RV. The solution? I took my wallet out before I climberd in the driver's seat. Seems that little bit of extra thickness on one side was causing a nerve to be pinched. No, really.
No laughs here. Any lenghty trip I take, regardless of car, the wallet is out of the pocket and away from the cheek. I have also been accused of having a "George Costanza" wallet if you know what I mean.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:32 AM

We've got a little over 2700 miles on ours and have been to 135, no problems except for the kid in the camaro behind me disappeared.
I believe the batmobile is MAGIC. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Old 01-13-2004, 12:56 AM

My vehicle is at the dealer (going on day 7) to correct a vibration problem (along with a heater fan motor --- really cold drive to the dealer at 7* with no heat or DEFROST....). Mine vibration, however appears to be drive shaft or transmission related because the frequency is higher than the wheel speed rotation rate.

Most noticable at 30-40 mph and worse when cold so I am guessing it is probably a u-joint or similar, though they haven't figured it out yet. I will post when the figure it out.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:03 AM

I drove out to Vegas and back last weekend for CES (3 hours each way)...got the XFire up to 140 on one long straight stretch no problem...not even the slightest shimmy on the wheel after 8,000 miles. It was a dream to drive.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Forum Regular

When I drive the Crossfire, it seems to savor speed, more so that other sports coupes that I've had.

I think it is the incredible stiffness of the body, it just seriously pay dividends to the driving experience, the car seems to just say to you "bring it on" without any hesitation.

I can't wait to get more HP into my car.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:54 AM

diane wrote: I drove out to Vegas and back last weekend for CES (3 hours each way)...got the XFire up to 140 on one long straight stretch no problem..

The Baker grade is a good road for a speed run!!! I grew up in L.A. and that was aways the cool part of the ride to Vegas.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

I did that run before in a friend's Ford Bronco, the speedo went off the scale and almost started to go back to 0.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:33 PM

The really cool part about that part of the freeway is that you can see everything. If there's a cop out there you can see him for over 2 miles.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:52 AM

Yes, I have to admit it was one of the best road trips I've ever taken...left at 4:30am on a Friday morning...just me and the truckers almost the whole way...and the most beautiful sunrise over the desert mountains...I HIGHLY recommend this trip!

On the way back (Saturday noon) there was lots more traffic, but it was one of those rare times when four cars actually started protecting each other...each of us trading off passing around slow cars and allowing the other three to move ahead as well...for about 20 minutes, we maintained 110 and had a great, safe, time doing it. Where's the autobahn when you need it???

Old 01-14-2004, 09:41 AM

As to back pain, I spoke to this in an earlier post, but:

The Crossfire is "good posture" drive. You cannot comfortably slouch in the seat, you end up with back pains. You really need to keep the seat back fairly straight and slide your butt all the way to the back.

A couple tips to help make the transition...

Keep the seat bottom tipped forward as much as you can. This gives the sensation of sliding foreward out of the seat, forcing you to slide backwards to the seam of the bottom and seat-back.

Move the seat a little closer to the peddles. Again, this will force you to slide back further in the seat, sitting straighter.

Keep the back straight, or as nearly straight as you can handle. Tip of the headrest in line with the bottom of the seat back.

The point is to force yourself into a 90 degree sitting angle. Once you get comfortable with this you can start to progress the seat to a more natural position. But, never as slouchy as some other cars. I came from a Trans-Am, which is really as sloucher's dream. Especially compared to this car which can be like a German school marm cracking you with a switch every time you slouch.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Neil Scott Snow
We've got a little over 2700 miles on ours and have been to 135, no problems except for the kid in the camaro behind me disappeared.
I believe the batmobile is MAGIC. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I wanna hear about it! Post in "Drive it like you stole it"

Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Default THE FINAL WORD WAS SPOKEN

HI EVERYONE

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT ABOUT THE BACK PROBLEM AND VIBRATION THAT MY FREIND HAS HAD, HES HAS CURED IT ONCE AND FOR ALL,, HE TOOK IT BACK TO THE GARAGE AND TOOK THERE LOAN JEEP, THEN PHONED THAM AND TOLD THEM THEY PAY HIM BACK OR HE WILL KEEP THE JEEP FOREVER, THEY GAVE HIM HIS MONEY BACK AND NOW HE HAS A "SAAB"

SILLY BUGGER,,,,, HIS LOSS, IM VERY VERY HAPPY WITH MYN AND TO THAT END I WILL BE LOYAL TO MY BEUTIFULL CROSSFIRE.

THANKS AGAIN

Quick Reply: BAQK PAIN AND VIBRATION