Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Pretty Dumb Question But Here It Goes.... Climate controlled storage????

Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pretty Dumb Question But Here It Goes.... Climate controlled storage????

During the hot summer days a car is not driven, is keeping the car in a climate controlled room (with A/C) good for the car? Will the dry air damage something or is it better off in a garage without A/C? What are the negatives and benefits for keeping the car in A/C?

Sounds like a dumb question but I am serious!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pretty Dumb Question But Here It Goes.... Climate controlled storage????

I have to say I LOVE my car and take better care of it than many other items I own, but this is going a little too far...

If it were an original Type 57 Bugatti Atlantique Coupe or something maybe

Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pretty Dumb Question But Here It Goes.... Climate controlled storage????

A friend of mine in AZ worked at a place in Tempe where there were a bunch of cars in climate controlled plastic bubbles.....

-Dave

Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Pretty Dumb Question But Here It Goes.... Climate controlled storage????

Air conditioning is very helpful and Id say ( though not from experience personally ) beneficial. THe cool air wont hurt the car in any way and actually may assist in you being able to sleep better at night.

Since the car is under cooling it is obvious that your squeeze or wife has nothing more to do with your obsession for your car, you can sleep comfortably in or under it in the summers heat. I light sheet or cover keeps the dust off the car and keeps the grime from accumulating also. Woody

Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM

No need to judge me because I haven't told the whole story. Everyone assumes I am referring to my crossfire but I am not. I won't get into the details.

Having a climate controlled garage is helpful in many ways. It allows you to store things you generally couldn't. It allows you to work on a car or walk into the garage without sweating in 100 degree temps.

I was simply wondering if the A/C was bad for a car. Just a hypothetical question that has nothing to do with my crossfire.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
No need to judge me because I haven't told the whole story.

Just a hypothetical question that has nothing to do with my crossfire.
Silly me, you posted in a specific part of a CROSSFIRE forum, I should have known it had nothing to do with your CROSSFIRE

Old 07-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No need to judge me because I haven't told the whole story. Everyone assumes I am referring to my crossfire but I am not. I won't get into the details.

Having a climate controlled garage is helpful in many ways. It allows you to store things you generally couldn't. It allows you to work on a car or walk into the garage without sweating in 100 degree temps.

I was simply wondering if the A/C was bad for a car. Just a hypothetical question that has nothing to do with my crossfire.
So.... this hypothetical car, that may or may not necessarily be a Crossfire, is it made of cheese? Then yes, refrigeration is a good thing.

But if it's made of sheet metal and paint, then outside temps are likely safe. Most quality vehicles are put through a heat test of temperatures far exceeding the normal range experienced on Earth.

If you're looking for a sanctuary to hide from the wife, then yes, A/C is a good thing as well. As woody stated, that way you AND your car will be comfortable when you're grounded.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Just a simple question.... is the dry AC air bad for a car (I was thinking more about the engine or mechanical parts). No need to analyze what kind of car it is or if I am trying to hide from my wife You guys are crazy. I am sorry I even asked!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Climate controlled would always be a better choice.
Just humidity control would offer several benefits.
Less rust, no mold growth, no condensation in the fuel tank or engine.
If you can store a vehicle under these conditions, go for it.

AND it is a more comfortable hide out.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Climate controlled would always be a better choice.
Just humidity control would offer several benefits.
Less rust, no mold growth, no condensation in the fuel tank or engine.
If you can store a vehicle under these conditions, go for it.

AND it is a more comfortable hide out.
What he said ^^^

Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
But if it's made of sheet metal and paint, then outside temps are likely safe. Most quality vehicles are put through a heat test of temperatures far exceeding the normal range experienced on Earth.
John does this mean our Crossfires will work in space? Or on other planets?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
John does this mean our Crossfires will work in space? Or on other planets?
Precisely.

I'm shipping mine to Mars next week... Utah's salt flats are very confined compared to those on the red planet.

And the red dust will match my interior, so at least when the car gets dirty, it will still "pop".

Why do you think I bought all-season tires?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During the hot summer days a car is not driven, is keeping the car in a climate controlled room (with A/C) good for the car? Will the dry air damage something or is it better off in a garage without A/C? What are the negatives and benefits for keeping the car in A/C?

1) yes, it's good for the car. 2) it's much better off in the garage. even in antarctica. 3) negatives? none. benefits? lots.

i live in central cal where it's a dry heat (thank gawd not like nevada and arizona). vintage cars seem to like it here (garaged, that is).

Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

A teacher once told me that there are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb people asking them. Just kidding.
My garage shares two walls and the roof of it with the house, a heating duct is in it and the hot or cool air in it leaks a little. Enough in fact to keep the garage a little warmer or cooler than the outside temperature. I think this is a good thing, if the car was winter driven with salt and snow on it I think it would not be good as the warmer temperature would aid in corrosion.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-06-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is! ...well, sortof.

Our house, custom built for a mechanical engineer, originally had central heat & air with one duct running through the garage. But someone capped the vents sometime along the way. There have been times when I've wanted to open it back up again but don't want to pay the extra $$ on my utility bills.

It would be nice, but it's not necessary.