Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I Got One!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I Got One!!

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
So it's there at low speeds, or only at low speeds when braking?
Both. Driving at low speeds and when braking at any speed.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Sounds more like warped rotors. Easy to do with aggresive driving.
Questin,

When you first start in the morning , no sounds until after you use the brakes and warm things up a bit?

If so, warped rotors is a likely possibility.
I would say yes. I didn't notice it until I was on the road for a while today. If warped rotors, can that be fixed by truing them or would they need to be replaced?

The weird thing is, when I test drove the car I didn't hear it. When I drove it home from the lot, I didn't hear it. I did read that in some cases if the rotors are wet you won't hear it due to the moisture. And they did wash the car and detail it before I drove it home.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

another possibility is rust. If the car was parked for some time rust will develope on the rotors.
It will lump up in the rotors when you first again use the brakes. Especialy to the outside of the rotor edge. Sounds silly I know.
Try a real good heavy power wash of the rotors. Dry them with brake use.

Or you could just open the covers and check the pads.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-01-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the group!

One thing that bothers me about the spoiler is I imagine it's an indicator to the cops. It goes up somewhere around 65-70. Maybe some cops know that, maybe not. Maybe some of them at least know it goes up when you're going fast. I think it might just make a cop pay that much more attention to you.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.... Noticed by the polizei? Definitely...... tail up or tail down really doesn't make a difference ... the XF turns heads!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
another possibility is rust. If the car was parked for some time rust will develope on the rotors.
It will lump up in the rotors when you first again use the brakes. Especialy to the outside of the rotor edge. Sounds silly I know.
Try a real good heavy power wash of the rotors. Dry them with brake use.

Or you could just open the covers and check the pads.
Thanks Franc. It's at the mechanic now being looked over. Just waiting for a call from them to hear what they think it is.

I would have taken the wheels off today and looked it over really good, however I didn't want to waste too much time self diagnosing the problem since I plan on driving the car 300 miles next weekend.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: I Got One!!!

Listn to Franc. I'd bet it is warped rotors. If it were me 'd have the pads done at the same time and DO NOT use OEM rotors. Probably a sign od the previous owners aggressive driving. Is it is a stick?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hawk Monster
Listn to Franc. I'd bet it is warped rotors. If it were me 'd have the pads done at the same time and DO NOT use OEM rotors. Probably a sign od the previous owners aggressive driving. Is it is a stick?
No, it's ATX.

They called and said the pads are fine and everything looks to be spec. However, the drivers rear rotor has divits and deep scratches and rotors do have a good amount of rust build up. I told them to go ahead and machine/turn the rotors to get rid of the defects. I don't know why the dealer I purchased the car from didn't notice but what are you going to do?

I'll let you know when I get the car back whether it worked. Thanks for the advice and support everyone.

- Tom

Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Congrats on your XFire puchase. Makes me wish I'd gone ahead & bought the 2005 Alabaster Limited Coupe I was looking at with only 4500 miles on it! Garage Queen! Let it slip away from me about a week back.

Welcome to this Forum. Great stuff on this site. Learn something new every week.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM

welcome to the white coupe club. Overall my favorite color-sorry guys with the black or the ssb's! yeah, like others have said, as long as you're doing that, also have them put in ceramic pads as you'll hate the amount of dust that comes off the oem's. I just had the wheels off and painted the calipers, and man I was really tempted to switch the pads at that time, but at 23K they still had alot of material left, and I just couldn't justify for dust another 120 for the pads. So I bit it, and figured when I put the new tires on next year then I'll do the pads at that time.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
I'm not touching the engine itself. I like it just the way it is.
Come talk to me in a few months

Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular

Well, they cleaned the rotors up and turned them, and the brakes are no longer squealing. However there is still a noticeable "rubbing" sound as the wheel rotates. It's not as annoying as it was, but I'm kinda **** about noises so it still bothers me. Any other suggestions?

I figure that as I actually drive the car the kinks will work themselves out. Who knows how long the car was sitting?

I just want to enjoy it!

I thought the car was sexy before I bought it, but up close it's a friggin' masterpiece.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 PM

Might be tire noise your hearing. What tires do you have on it. Got mine back at the end of february and it still had the stock michelins on it...but lots of road noise from the tire. Put new tires on (Hankooks) and no more noise. Now you just hear the sweet sound of the exhaust!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular

Congrats on the Alabaster and welcome to the club. Now the FUN begins...!