Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

What the most unusual place you've spotted a crossfire? Here's mine:

Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the most unusual place you've spotted a crossfire? Here's mine:

Iceland
IMG_2978.jpg

I was in Iceland last week for vacation and as I was driving from Reykjavik to a more southeastern part of the country, I caught what looked like a crossfire out of the corner of my eye. As any owner here would do, I immediately cut a u-turn and went back to get a look at the car. Looked pretty much like what we got here in the states. I didn't spend much time studying the features of the car as I think I was parked in the owner's driveway. They probably thought some lunatic was trying to vandalize the car as I showed up in a chevy aveo.

The last thing I expected to see on this trip was a crossfire. Anyone ever have a double-take when they came across a crossfire during the course of their travels?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: What the most unusual place you've spotted a crossfire? Here's mine:

If memory serves, I think there was a forum member who lives/lived in Reykjavik.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: What the most unusual place you've spotted a crossfire? Here's mine:

Originally Posted by +fireamx
If memory serves, I think there was a forum member who lives/lived in Reykjavik.
It would be cool and unfortunate if this is the car that belongs to the forum member you are referring to.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The strangest part of this is where the OP says he was on Vacation in Iceland! Where the heck do you have to live where going to Iceland seems like a good idea??

Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joliet John
The strangest part of this is where the OP says he was on Vacation in Iceland! Where the heck do you have to live where going to Iceland seems like a good idea??
Philadelphia. After this trip, it's my belief that going Iceland is always a good idea! Besides, I got a chance to catch up on the most recent episodes of Top Gear on the flight there and back.

I'd love to go back and this time rent an appropriate vehicle, ie, a proper 4x4. Good food, good beer, awesome landscapes, lots of hiking, some fantastic natural wonders, and reasonably friendly people. What else does one really need?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it certainly looks like you ran into icefire's car. From your picture, you can make out the VU 2, and what looks like an 8. Here is his car:

And here is a link to his gallery:
icefire Gallery - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Well, it certainly looks like you ran into icefire's car. From your picture, you can make out the VU 2, and what looks like an 8.
I appreciate the heads up on this. I sent him an IM, so maybe he will come into this thread and let us know.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by AllEuro
I appreciate the heads up on this. I sent him an IM, so maybe he will come into this thread and let us know.
Is the pic you posted the only pic you took? Do you have any others that show the full license plate?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 AM

Funny coincidence This is my old Crossfire. I sold that car 3 years ago. The car is now located @ Selfoss (approx 40 min from Reykjavik).

More pics:

Vette23.jpg
Vette28.jpg
Vette29.jpg
Vette17.jpg
Vette27.jpg
Vette26.jpg

Vette16.jpg
Vette15.jpg

Last edited by icefire; 09-30-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Forum Regular

Considering how the XF handles in ice and snow, did you just drive it in the summer? If not, how DID it handle in the ice and snow of ICEland?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Considering how the XF handles in ice and snow, did you just drive it in the summer? If not, how DID it handle in the ice and snow of ICEland?
The car was OK in ice but terrible in snow!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by icefire
Funny coincidence This is my old Crossfire. I sold that car 3 years ago. The car is now located @ Selfoss (approx 40 min from Reykjavik).
Wow, what a coincidence! What replaced your crossfire? I have a bunch of car photos of vehicles I saw during my visit. You guys have some insanely cool trucks out there! I love the artic outfitted Nissan Patrols and Toyota Landcruisers! Here is where I posted the other cars I saw: VWVortex.com - Interested in what people from Iceland drive? Click here!!

As I mentioned in that thread, Iceland is the last place I would want to have a crossfire. But I did see some pretty nice cars when I was in Reykjavik. I did see a perfect VW touareg TDI at the VW dealer I visited while there. I bet it would have been perfect to conquer the dirt roads off route 1.

Anyway, you've got a beautiful country! Most people I have spoken to in the US about going Iceland talk about going there for 4 days to party in Reykjavik. But those people are selling the rest of the country short! I had one hell of a great hike up to Glymur.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular

Was that due to the low clearance, or was it a problem to steer it?
The car was OK in ice but terrible in snow!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The story below has been posted here before, but at any rate it should qualify for one of the most unusual places a Crossfire has been spotted.

Grand Canyon National Park - Car extracted below the Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob M
The story below has been posted here before, but at any rate it should qualify for one of the most unusual places a Crossfire has been spotted.

Grand Canyon National Park - Car extracted below the Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
You win!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:13 PM

Obviously a clear case of a failure of the rear wing to deploy.

http://mms.nps.gov/ram/imr/extract1.wmv

Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Was that due to the low clearance, or was it a problem to steer it?
It's basicly impossible to steer it in a snow!

When I had the Xfire I also had a Corvette C6 Z51 and Corvette C5 and the were both better in snow.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by AllEuro
Wow, what a coincidence! What replaced your crossfire? I have a bunch of car photos of vehicles I saw during my visit. You guys have some insanely cool trucks out there! I love the artic outfitted Nissan Patrols and Toyota Landcruisers! Here is where I posted the other cars I saw: VWVortex.com - Interested in what people from Iceland drive? Click here!!

As I mentioned in that thread, Iceland is the last place I would want to have a crossfire. But I did see some pretty nice cars when I was in Reykjavik. I did see a perfect VW touareg TDI at the VW dealer I visited while there. I bet it would have been perfect to conquer the dirt roads off route 1.

Anyway, you've got a beautiful country! Most people I have spoken to in the US about going Iceland talk about going there for 4 days to party in Reykjavik. But those people are selling the rest of the country short! I had one hell of a great hike up to Glymur.
I sold my Xfire and bought a Beemer (daily driver).

Iceland is a great place as you can see:

YouTube - Inspired by Iceland Video

We have a lot of great vehicles here in Iceland, here are few pics:

Last edited by icefire; 09-30-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 PM

And few more:

18042009160.jpg

IMG_9255.jpg

Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More pics:

porsche, chrysler, packard...what can you say?