Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Potential buyer

Old 04-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential buyer

I'm thinking about buying a Crossfire (manual) next month and have just found this website. All the TSB talk has gotten me a little uneasy about buying one. ConsumerReports didn't give the car that good of a review either...but what do they know. How is the visibiltiy and head room inside (I'm about 6'); and whats up with the wind noise everyone is talking about. If looks alone could make the purchase I'd have bought one in SSB a whlie ago, but I'm hoping for some good feedback from folks who have been driving the car for a while. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you look at the 350z and RX8 Consumer Report, their review is worst than the Crossfire.

I'm 6' tall and I'm very happy with my blazin red !

Old 04-26-2004, 01:12 AM

Most of my buddies here in the dorms are 6ft+... one of them is 6'5 and he doesnt mind it at all... just drop the seat down and push it back... the value of enjoying the car makes you feel very comfortable! I of course have 0 problems at 5'7 lol!

Old 04-26-2004, 01:24 AM

The wind noise problem is pretty much a thing of the past -- but even if you get one that's got it, it's an easy fix (or so I hear -- no wind noise with mine).

The visibility's not bad for a 2-seater coupe, but it's taking some adjusting after driving a Jeep Wrangler with the top perpetually down. Still, the blind spots are relatively small. I've also got a Volvo C70 convertible here and the visibility in the Crossfire is definitely much better.

As far as headroom -- well, if you haven't taken a test drive yet, do it!

Old 04-26-2004, 01:25 AM
Forum Regular

I have been driving my Crossfire every day for for almost seven months. I think is is a terrific car.

To your specific comments:

The wind noise problem has a fix that can be done by the dealer. Not all owners experience it. It only deems to be a problem at speed over 50 mph. On some cars, the window was out of adjustment, and would hit the window drip moulding. Again. a small adjustment that fixes it.

Visability is defined by each person. The front and side is fine. The rear window is a bit small, but if you properly adjust and use the rear view mirrors, it is not really a problem. But I have been driving hatchback sports cars for a long time, and that may bias my opinion.

Some people over 6 feet think the size is fine, some find it too small. The only way to know is for you to get in it and try it. I am 5' 10" and it is fine for my.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2004, 02:03 AM

Whether or not you fit you can determine for yourself. As for reliability, it's a Mercedes drivetrain that has been around long enough to get the bugs out, so it is probably more reliable than just about any European or American car available. As for rear visibility, you can always get the convex stick on mirror for your side mirrors...like truckers have....if you find it a problem.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonymond
As for rear visibility, you can always get the convex stick on mirror for your side mirrors
Or one of those rear-view camera setups. There was a thread a while back on those, even showed pics of two little micro cameras mounted in the flared are on the back just inboard of the rear taillight lens assemblies.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 AM

After only 1000 miles, I quickly adjusted to the intimacy of the Crossfire. I am about 6'2" and over 240 pounds, and I feel fine. Visability is OK after personal adjustments. I agree with the others...take a test drive, but don't let 1st impressions cloud your decision. Depending on what you are used to, it may take a while to feel comfortable in your new Crossfire.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2004, 11:39 AM

Drove mine from Michigan to Boston and back last week. About 1500 miles. I found it comfortable and it held a surprisingly large amount of luggage using the 3 pieces thaty come with the car. I am 5'11" and had no problem nor did my wife. The only issue was the customs agent at the Canadian border kept me about 5 minutes just asking me questions about the car and how I liked it.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:40 PM

TSBs etc. :

These are known engineering fixes on a small number of early built vehicles. Later built units should not encounter these problems.

Height:

I am 6' 5". Due to the limited interior room, I can not own this car! Driving this car around the block is ok... But to actually drive it daily or on a long trip at my height is an act of torture. (Nothing against the car.. I love it! and this is a function of this vehicle! My car is a little 318ti BMW!) Visibility is poor out the back, but hey! You are meant to go forward at high rates of speed!

Old 04-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love mine and got it even after the reviewers did their negative antics. I read the TSB's and things but made sure to get one of the later ones. Just check Vin numbers and you should be okay. The last six digits are the ones that tell you early from newer. Nothing against the early ones but I felt safer getting a newer production model myself. Ive had zero problems by the way!! 8)
The Crossfire is so unique that people have a hard time understanding what its really about. I love the fact that it is built in Germany and its really a Mercedes. The reviewers might have dissed it but it can't be ignored. Its everything I hoped it would be and more!!

Drive one and you will know what I mean. That is when I decieded I had to have one!!!! :P

Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Danwell
Drive one and you will know what I mean. That is when I decieded I had to have one!!!! :P
dang... does that SSB in Danwell's pic look like Graphite to anyone else? :? Must be that mighty morphin' Chrsyler paint... or my flat screen is going whacky... :wink:

Old 04-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a glitch in his cloaking device :lol:

Old 04-26-2004, 11:30 PM

s TSB are concerned...every car has them. Go to any of the Honda sites (hondaelement.org or honda-pilot.org) they all have problems'

I love the Crossfire, but how you fit is up to you. It won't hurt to check it out.

Dallas

Old 04-27-2004, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cyril Baldwin
There's a glitch in his cloaking device :lol:
silly me... I'd totally forgot... so I guess when an SSB is cloaking, first it goes Graphite, then what? Alabaster? and THEN invisible? :roll:

Old 04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular

hehe you could have some fun with a cop, radar gun and a cloaking device

Old 04-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the feed back folks. I hope to soon have a Crossfire to call my own.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Default Re: Potential buyer

Originally Posted by ndfrspeed2
I'm thinking about buying a Crossfire (manual) next month and have just found this website. All the TSB talk has gotten me a little uneasy about buying one. ConsumerReports didn't give the car that good of a review either...but what do they know. How is the visibiltiy and head room inside (I'm about 6'); and whats up with the wind noise everyone is talking about. If looks alone could make the purchase I'd have bought one in SSB a whlie ago, but I'm hoping for some good feedback from folks who have been driving the car for a while. Thanks.
Call Pat Kittle if you are looking to buy soon. He is in Southfield MI, Chryslers backyard. He really went beyond my expectations and I got what I think was an excellent deal. He has several posts in the "for sale forum" call him asap and see what he can do. He may be able to deliver the car to you too. PS I am 6'4'' and fit just fine.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Default Re: Potential buyer

Originally Posted by ChrisG
PS I am 6'4'' and fit just fine.
dang... I'm 6'1" and can't imagine trying to fit in my Crossfire if I was an inch taller. I guess it's not so much "standing height', it's "seated height" that's more important determining if someone can "fit" in a Crossfire (or any car for that matter). At 6'1", I fit fine in my Crossfire, but my head rubbed in a Toyota 4Runner (with moonroof), even with the seat set all the way at the bottom of it's travel.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Burns
Dang... does that SSB in Danwell's pic look like Graphite to anyone else? :? Must be that mighty morphin' Chrsyler paint... or my flat screen is going whacky... :wink:

I agree, in photos and on some days it looks grey as grey gets, but its really SSB, I promise I do wish It was blue'er though. Ive never been into grey or silver but I love the color and car anyway. Its almost a dual color car (just not at the same time) *grin*