Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

So overall, it's a pretty reliable car?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So overall, it's a pretty reliable car?

Post #1, fellow MB owner here with an '05 C55 AMG. Been thinking about getting a second car for a while now (on a budget) but there's nothing that has really caught my interest. Looking at an older MK1 Audi TT and a first gen Mini Cooper S, but each of those has their downsides as well (age, maintenance, exterior and interior styling, etc). This second car I'm looking for must be sporty, intriguing, and manual trans.

Never really considered a Crossfire until I started looking at them because a guy at work has a red one. I've been doing some research today on this forum and it seems to be a pretty reliable car, having been an R170 chassis and M112 engine that's been refined over many years.

Aside from the body panel availability issues in a worst case scenario, I haven't seen anything else that's a real dealbreaker when it comes to maintenance or reliability. Anything I might need to look out for? Only looking at coupes, convertibles aren't for me and not really interested in a SRT either, that's what the C55 is for . Thanks

Last edited by Viper98912; 02-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: So overall, it's a pretty reliable car?

You would absolutely love it. I'm on the forums at MB-World as well (Kreuzfeuer).

I've posted a few threads over there bragging on the positive experience I've had with mine.

And the community here is the most closely-knit bunch of folks I've ever met. ANYWHERE.

Go test drive one, and see what you think. The final sales price will shock you for the quality of drive you will experience.

And, I'm a bit biased, but I think they're one of the best looking cars out there.

**EDIT**

I see now that you actually posted in my intro thread over there.... thanks for the positive comments!

Last edited by JHM2K; 02-12-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Forum Regular

My '05 Crossfire only has 8200 miles on the clock after 2 years of ownership (I know. I know.....I need to drive it more!), but from what I've heard from other owners, the reliability is excellent!

Monty Burns

Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Viper. Take John's advise and take a test drive. I think you will be pleased. I don't own an N/A but I have run with many friends that do at our Dragon meets. I have been inpressed with how they preform. And I can tell you that each of them exit their car's with great big smiles.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they are very reliable. the only known issues are the same for any MB. None of the known issues are a big deal or very expensive to fix. I replaced a battery and that is all my car has needed in 85,000 miles. I dd replace the engine but there was nothing wrong with the one that was in it. A big plus for you is that the engine in your C55 will go right into a Crossfire .

Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Viper,

I've just finally bought a Crossfire, so can't comment from personal experience. The lady who had my car before me put 60K miles on it in the past two years. I think it would pass for new. So, I'd say you can expect it to stand up well.

If you want to improve the reliability, I'd suggest you keep it away from any Chrysler dealership unless you know it to be exceptional (there are some out there).

I think you will be pleased with the Crossfire.

Michael
05 Roadster Limited

Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

Only the nit-picky "Chrysler" things could ever give you an issue (like the dang cupholder) but the rest of the car is tried and true 2004 MB SLK platform. Not sure that you could hurt the suspension or the power train even if you tried.

And a body by Karman doesn't hurt. Solid and well fit.

Last edited by Kane; 02-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey viper its 320dreamer from mbworld. i think its very important that anyone who gets a crossfire spend a large amount of time here. you wont find a more willing group of folks wanting to help in every way.
from diagnostics to part location to sharing a cold beverage i havent ever met a better bunch. 1 trip to the dragon gtg at fontana dam will convince even the most hardened forum surfer!!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 PM

you'll love it i know it. for me it was also betwween an mk1 audi tt and this and i can tell you the xfire wins hands down. in every arena and i mean price,maitnence performance drivability comfort and I may be bias but style

Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had mine for 4 years - no problems. I think you would be very pleased.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 PM

I bought my '07 6 spd in Dec. '07 & have put 57,000 miles on it so far. If you keep the revs up the shifting is very smooth & rewarding. Drive like a maniac & ave 22 = worst mpg ever. Drive normal = 24-25 mpg. Drive steady 70 mph on a trip & 26-27 easy.

Barks like a dog between shifts when driven hard.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 PM

They are the best value for the $, period. Take one for a test drive and you'll be hooked. We'll then be welcoming you to permagrin club.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Viper98912
Anything I might need to look out for? Only looking at coupes, convertibles aren't for me and not really interested in a SRT either, that's what the C55 is for . Thanks
Good call on the coupes. Convertibles have too much wind noise. At least I can't hear the wife when she's driving hers with the top down

As for "issues", check the TSB thread. Nothing you can't fix yourself.

And there is a way for a C55 driver to win a race against a prepared SRT. Lose 250 pounds of weight. The driver. Yourself.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:18 AM

Wow, definitely some great responses. The Crossfire is looking better and better, seems to have everything I'm looking for.

I'd love it if it was an AWD vehicle due to the very random and rare snows/ice that occur here in GA. Problem is that GA is just low/high enough in latitude that if it does snow, it doesn't stay cold enough, it hovers right in the 30 deg range where everything melts and refreezes as ice. At this point, I don't want the rare instance of weather to dictate what car I have to buy. If I was higher up north and it was more consistent, I'd think about it more.

I never knew how loud soft top convertibles were until I was in my gf's Mustang. Definitely NOT for me. Plus, only convertible I really like is a 911 Carrera 4S/Turbo S: hotness.

I guess I'm gonna have to go check some of these out, it definitely seems like you can't beat it for the price (sad, but true, and similar to the C55 and why I own one). While all the colors look great, especially the gray and light blue, I think I'm liking the white. I've always wanted a white car, and would compliment the black C55 nicely.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Forum Regular

I've always wanted a white car, and would compliment the black C55 nicely.
Good choice of colors, Viper. Here's my black & white fun cars:

Attached Images
File Type: png
2005.XF.Coupe.png (164.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg
MR2j.jpg (239.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, definitely some great responses. The Crossfire is looking better and better, seems to have everything I'm looking for.

I guess I'm gonna have to go check some of these out, While all the colors look great, especially the gray and light blue, I think I'm liking the white. I've always wanted a white car, and would compliment the black C55 nicely.
jhm2k lives close to me in tn and he has a super sweet white limited with the red interior and a 6 speed. very respectable in the twisties. metalmilitia lives down the road from you with a monster srt-6 that will put a smile on your mug!! check out the gtg section for a gathering close to you. if that doesnt work im only 3 hrs or so a sat cruise in your 55 will get you a bunch of rides some good food and a chance to meet some great folks. just say when!

btw theres a white limited for sale in my town right now

Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM

They definitely put a lot of beautiful colors in the lineup, I'm normally not a silver or gray guy, but in addition to the alabaster white, I'm liking the sapphire silver blue and machine gray. Definitely some interesting tints to those colors. Reminds me of my diamond black, which is actually a really dark blue metallic that gleams in the sun.