Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Wet Carpets

Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Carpets

Last fall had an oil change done, oil filter was not installed correctly. After several days of driving the serpentine belt slipped off due to oil accumulation, I was 2 blocks from home when it happened, lost power steering but engine did not overheat. I had it towed to a local certified MB repair shop, they put on a new belt and power washed the engine bay.

A month later the inside of the windows had frosted, sure enough, the drivers side carpet was soaking wet. I dried it out and no more problems the few times I drove it before winter hibernation.

I drove the car a couple times each in January and February when the roads were clear, then started driving it more regularly earlier this month. No wet carpets until today. Again, this morning the inside of the windows were frosted and the drivers side carpet was soaking wet.

My first thought last fall was when it was power washed maybe water leaked into the passenger compartment, but that would not explain the wet carpet now. Is the heater core in need of repair? Please don't tell me it blew a head gasket, the engine is running fine at normal temps. I'll take the car back to the MB garage, but would like to go in with a little knowledge ahead of time.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Default Re: Wet Carpets

Check the drains in the cowl area, if they are blocked water will come into the passenger compartment. Look in the SRT documentation for info on where they are, I think theres three total. Good Luck!

-Dan-

Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it water or coolant that is saturating your carpets? Touch a droplet to your tongue. If it has a "sweet" taste it is coolant. Have you noticed that sweet smell inside while driving or the windshield fogging up when it shouldn't be? That would indicate troubles with the heater core.

I'm assuming that your xfire is parked outside? If so, check for gaskets that could be leaking.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

If it was the heater core leaking it would be wet on the passenger side and you could smell the antifreeze.
Sometimes there is a build up of debris under the cowl and the drainage holes become blocked and water leaks into the heater air vent under the cowl, again on the passenger side.
Water on the driver side is new to me on these cars, but I assume that water could get in visa a poor windshield seal and possibly from the cowl area.
Water could come from the rear side window area and seep forward, is it wet behind the seat?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 PM

I had put a small fan on the carpet to help dry it earlier this morning, so when I checked late morning, it was almost dry. I didn't smell anything different, so must have been water. But, I decided to check the passenger side and it was damp this time. Maybe it is just the drainage holes.

Looks like the windshield wipers have to come off to remove that cowl piece and there are some wires attached to it near the center.

I'm thinking I'll watch it closely, see if there's anymore water getting inside and when it happens. Spring rains will be here soon, so if it clogged drains, it should happen after a good rain.

I'm not a mechanic.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check into it right away, because the water could short out your blower motor or can short out the fan controller. A lot of us have had this same problem, when the drains get pluged up, the water then can flow right in to the blower inlet hole, it really is not the best design for keeping the water out.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM

This is a really common problem and it can lead to the blower motor catching fire. As of yet Chrysler offers no repair though this problem is a manufacturing defect. I suggest everyone with this issue file a complant https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Hopefully we can get a recall and get Chrysler to fix this problem before someone's Xfire catches fire and burns up.