Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

The Crossfire and Moses...same fate?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face The Crossfire and Moses...same fate?

Hi forum members,

I love my crossfire. It's a fantastic car with lots of appeal. I also know that most on this forum really appreciate their cars. The feeling of owning and driving one is an experience that grows deeper and deeper in your sole.

When I pick-up a road and track, or consumer reports, and/or other magazines and look for history and information on the crossfire,...it's not listed...like it was banned and stripped off all objects, not to be spoken of....just like MOSES was in Egypt.

Why...What did Chrysler or the Crossfire do in the media to deserve this treatment?

I just don't get it ...they all should be raveing about it. It not that its compared to other cars and is the underdog...it's not even listed...even in Consumer reports reliability charts.

Can someone shed some light on WHY????

Thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: The Crossfire and Moses...same fate?

If it makes you feel better, the April 2011 Consumer Reports listed the 05 Crossfire as the only reliable used Chrysler. The bad news is that is was listed with the $10,000-12,000 vehicles. This is the first time I have seen one mentioned since they were introduced. When I looked through at the 0-60 times for the new, expensive BMWs and AMG Benz's, the SRT6 still outperforms most of them.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't expect to see much talk about any car that's been out of production since Dec. '07.
It's an odd little car with an odd history & cherished by an odd group of fanatics....

Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

Uhh Chris, you talkin bout me again ?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. How many miles on Pebbles ? Wilma just crossed 10,000....wife got totally freaked out in a heavy snowstorm this winter driving her with the OEM Contis. vs Fred got me all the way home (Blizzaks) in 6-8 inches of unplowed snow.

Scheduled to become a grampa around October!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Have no fear. the day will come, much as we look at TR-6's and GT-6's today, that the Cross will be seen as the classic it really is, that a few of us crazies will keep it alive. There are alot of great cars out there today, so for this red-headed step child to be seen as a star in the mix is really hard. We know what we've got, and we're all the luckier for it getting one of these at this particular point in time. In fact, in the long run, that it is out of production will be a very good thing for us.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BRappaport
When I pick-up a road and track, or consumer reports, and/or other magazines and look for history and information on the crossfire,...it's not listed...like it was banned and stripped off all objects, not to be spoken of....just like MOSES was in Egypt.

Why...What did Chrysler or the Crossfire do in the media to deserve this treatment?

I just don't get it ...they all should be raveing about it. It not that its compared to other cars and is the underdog...it's not even listed...even in Consumer reports reliability charts.

Can someone shed some light on WHY????

Thanks
As been said, it's "OLD" news.
If you want to read what all the Automotive magazines had to say about the Crossfire when they were new, here are a few places to start.

Motor Trend: 5/03, SSB NA Coupe
Motor Trend: 12/03, Charcoal NA Coupe Auto vs Mercedes SLK
Motor Trend: 6/04, SSB NA Roadster, 6 spd.
Motor Trend: 8/04, SSB, SST Coupe

Car & Driver: 7/03, Red NA Coupe 6 spd.
Car & Driver: 6/04, Yellow Roadster Auto
Car & Driver: 8/04, SSB SRT Coupe

Road & Track: 10/03, Black NA Coupe 6 spd.
Road & Track: 1/04, Black NA Coupe 6spd. vs Audi TT
Road & Track: 7/04, Aero Blue NA Roadster
Road & Track: 8/04, SSB SRT Coupe
Road & Track/ Sports & GT Issue, SRT Roadster

Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Red face Re: The Crossfire and Moses...same fate?

Thanks for all the responses.

I was not referrng to now...I know the crossfire is old news.
But I was referring to 2005 thru 2008 time frame.

As an example...If you looked in the auto issue of Consumer Reports, in the back where they rank the reliability of all the cars...The Crossfire is not listed. You can find all other Chrysler cars listed and in those same issues...you can find Mercedes SLK listed....but no Crossfire.

Another example is Road and Track...where they list all the cars "0-60" times. Once again...no crossfire listed.

That's why I asked the question. What incident about Chrysler or the Crossfire itself caused these magazines not to include the Crossfire???

Was Chrysler so ashamed of the car, that they somehow banned it from the media back then??

If anyone can shed some light on the reason, it would be appreciated.
I understand that the parts are mostly taken from the 2004 Mercedes SLK parts bin to build the car...but the styling genious was all Chryslers!!!!

So what really happened??

Thanks....Ben

Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After 2006 there was nothing that was new to report about the Crossfire, and that's why the Automotive Rags didn't bother wasting any ink on them.
When Road & Track prints out a Road Test Summary, they usually only go back about two years. Since the last published road test on any Crossfire was well over 5 years ago, there really is no reason to bring the Crossfire up in a conversation. There is nothing current about it.
I'm aware of Consumer Reports lack of reporting on the Crossfires maintenance history. Don't know what to tell ya. Just one more reason to not pay too much attention to Consumer Reports I guess.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I'm aware of Consumer Reports lack of reporting on the Crossfires maintenance history. Don't know what to tell ya. Just one more reason to not pay too much attention to Consumer Reports I guess.
More reason to come here and ask the real owners.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
Have no fear. the day will come, much as we look at TR-6's and GT-6's today, that the Cross will be seen as the classic it really is, that a few of us crazies will keep it alive. There are alot of great cars out there today, so for this red-headed step child to be seen as a star in the mix is really hard. We know what we've got, and we're all the luckier for it getting one of these at this particular point in time. In fact, in the long run, that it is out of production will be a very good thing for us.
"Out of production will be a very good thing", yes, as LONG AS YOU DON'T WRECK THE DAMN THING!

Seems like sheet metal parts are already impossibly hard to find. My dear wife won't even drive the thing .--. she's so spooked by the very thought of getting it dinged up.

Last edited by Kane; 04-02-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 PM

When you stop and think about it, the less printed about our cars, the more it adds' to their mystigue.

We as owners of this great little car know what we have, it will take some time, but I belive some day soon the Crossfire will get the attention and value we all know it deserves.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was a daily driver.... It spends more time in the garage now. Just took it out for a 110 mile highway spin and the car performed like new even at 57k miles. I could out perform most cars on the road.... Hit 100 mph and didnt even feel anything. It is a hidden little secret that one day will catch on. I don't care if it was featured in magazines or not.... I prefer they not even bother to discuss it.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Forum Regular

I really like when people ask me what kind of car it is. They have no idea; never seen one before. Yeah!!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goldwing
If it makes you feel better, the April 2011 Consumer Reports listed the 05 Crossfire as the only reliable used Chrysler. The bad news is that is was listed with the $10,000-12,000 vehicles. This is the first time I have seen one mentioned since they were introduced. When I looked through at the 0-60 times for the new, expensive BMWs and AMG Benz's, the SRT6 still outperforms most of them.
I think it's great that a 6+ year old car is still classed in the $10-$12k range.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 PM

My red 08 just turned 30K, I drive it only for pleasure. I think the less that is printed about them for the next five to ten years the more they will be worth then. We got to wait ill the riff-raff wreck all the ones that aren't being well cared for. In my town, Thousand Oaks CA, I know of five XFs that are daily drivers, three of which look like crap!