Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

VIRUS ALERT

Old 06-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIRUS ALERT

For an unknown reason, a virus was forwarded from my personal Yahoo email account to the personal email address of VegasCrossfire. I do not have her email address in my address book nor have I ever sent her an email before. So, somehow the virus must have been sent via some connection with my email account and this forum. For this reason, I thought I'd warn all of you incase you receive any emails from me. Is anybody familiar enough with viruses to explain how this could happen? The email she received from me I had received within the past couple weeks. And no, I did not open the email when I originally received it.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM

Chances are it wasn't sent from you, Heb -- Most viruses these days forge who they're sent from. It's impossible to say who it was really sent from without digging into the headers of the message.

If it was sent from you to Vegas, though, there's a good chance the infected machine belongs to someone who's either got both of you in his/her address book, or has sent or received mail to/from the two of you in the past.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much, assuming you have an up-to-date virus scanner installed. There's really nothing you can do to stop these forgeries from happening. The best you can do is keep your own machine patched up and virus-free.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Trick
If it was sent from you to Vegas, though, there's a good chance the infected machine belongs to someone who's either got both of you in his/her address book, or has sent or received mail to/from the two of you in the past.
:roll: Hmmmm - so that's how those work. In other words - possibly someone in the forum has emailed Heb and me - then the virus just pulled addresses from his/her address book? I always wondered how those worked - and I was certainly surprised to get an email from Heb when I saw what it was. Thanks for clearing that up. :wink: