Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New owner with questions.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with questions.

First i would have to say I love the car and I took it in on a trade. It is a 2004 coupe with 59k and is running fine . The previouse owner only put 3500 miles on it . I figured I would start researching the car and see what the FORUMS had to say . Ok I'm scared now . At first I was happy it was a mercedes and knew that much before I traded for it . But then the bullitens started with computer issues and keys not working and dying !!!!?????? Oh crap here we go . I have owned a Volvo 850 T5 and it had a lot of little issues but was a good dependable car .
My question is ? Are the owners happy and are you always worried about the car ? I know there is the Crank positioning Sensor thats a easy fix and I will buy one just in case . What is your experience and should I keep the car or get rid of it ? Its my toy not my daily driver as of now .

Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: New owner with questions.

Keep the car, common problems are easy to fix your self with little experence. Mine was a high mileage car and I didnt hesitate to hop in and go for a 10 hour trip.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

Cars are really fairly dependable, but do have quirkly issues every once in awhile. Most are easy to fix and known solutions are scattered throughout this Forum. Many of us travel long distances to attend either the ToD (Tail of the Dragon) weekend GTG's 2x per year and/or the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals held each summer. None of us would consider doing that if these cars weren't dependable.

Enjoy your XFire!!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You know, we as forum members are ALWAYS talking about what is broken or having problems with. WE never talk about those who have had ZERO issues or just a few smalls issues. We need a thread that reveals all who have had little to no issues rather than problems. I would venture to say, the majority have had little to no issues. So, to answer your question, is to say, if you like it, enjoy driving it, and it is a toy, then by all means keep it. Things happen to all cars, especially, sports cars if you ever truely drive it like one....I love my two, and mod the hell out of them with only minor issues...a few sensor problems, but no real mechanical failures... enoy it...

Old 12-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Yep I like the car . I can deal with the sensor issues and have the part numbers and will have those handy just in case !! It is a sweet car I love the thing . Its my going out having fun car so It will be garaged to keep the body pannels safe . Thanks for the input . Now I will NOT let my wife drive it HAHAHA . Shes pissed .

Old 12-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by wbrown
Yep I like the car . I can deal with the sensor issues and have the part numbers and will have those handy just in case !! It is a sweet car I love the thing . Its my going out having fun car so It will be garaged to keep the body pannels safe . Thanks for the input . Now I will NOT let my wife drive it HAHAHA . Shes pissed .
Look at oledoc2u's answer, it sums it up. As he says you only see the problems here, most are known problems and easily solved. This forum probably has 99% of the answers. Come here first, as you are aware dealers will take the most expensive route to fix a problem, maybe you are one of them.

I have had mine for six years, only 23,000 mies, but no problems really, the biggest problem I had was a seat relay and I fixed that for $1 and had spares parts (diodes) to fix 9 others.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Forum Regular

These are the worst cars in the world. If I was you I would park that extremely low mileage car before it really costs you money or worse hurts you. OK now that you have done that plese send me a email and I will offer you some money to take that totally worthless piece of **** off you hands. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
You know, we as forum members are ALWAYS talking about what is broken or having problems with. WE never talk about those who have had ZERO issues or just a few smalls issues. We need a thread that reveals all who have had little to no issues rather than problems. I would venture to say, the majority have had little to no issues. So, to answer your question, is to say, if you like it, enjoy driving it, and it is a toy, then by all means keep it. Things happen to all cars, especially, sports cars if you ever truely drive it like one....I love my two, and mod the hell out of them with only minor issues...a few sensor problems, but no real mechanical failures... enoy it...
As oledoc2u stated above, I'm one of those XFire owners that has had essentially no major issues with the vehicle. Sure, I've had to repair the breather cover oil leak on the engine, but that's a design/assembly problem and most likely will surface on every car eventually.

And I've had the plugged up water drain below the cowl cover above the HVAC blower motor assembly and had to clean out the compartments below the cowl cover plus the accumulated trash in the blower motor assembly. But again a design issue on the XFire and once known, easily dealt with.

But so far the car is a thrill to drive and always gets looks every where we go in it. And the vehicle is really a weekender for us, sorta a toy, and with barely 11k on the ODO, it should be a thing of pleasure for many years to come.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe these cars have any major issues. It is a great solid and reliable car that will outlast anything in its price range.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

well lets see, I got my srt6 in May 2008 with 18000 miles on it and had ""O"" problems, I mean no problems at all. At 30000 miles, June 2011 Rudy installed the V8, still no problems ,, Oh I did replace the battery once about 2 years ago.,,, jim

Old 12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is now at 82K. I bought it a year ago and have had two problems. A $20 idler pulley, and the falling out back window. Since you don't have a Roadster, that isn't a concern.

If you have a problem, or see something that worries you, this is the place to get good information.

With some miles, the piddly things get taken care of, and yours is likely to be trouble free for a long time.

Drive it; you'll love it!

Michael

Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problems confined to known or warranty-replaceable items. the diff in my graphite started making a harmonic noise (or slight hummm) @ around 70-73mph couple of years back. Also; the typical trans connector. Replaced under warranty. The Black developed the rcm issue barely into her life (200 miles or so.) Replaced under warranty. Zero problems after that.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

All three of the family Crossfires are rock solid. I bought the roadster new and it has 37k, and the only issues being the radiator fan replaced under a TSB and the TPMS throwing the icon. The SRT6 (bought used with 8.5k and now at 18k) also had the TSB and the intercooler failed and was replaced under warranty. My son's 2007 coupe (~22k) has had zero problems. All have the oil/filter replaced annually but I may have to start doing PM on the other fluids this coming year, just due to age.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Forum Regular

Only 2 Crossfires in this family. I'm having a problem keeping up.
My son and I took my SRT on a 15 day road trip last summer, the car was awesome. No problems at all.
The one bummer is no spare tire so we put a full size in the trunk AND all our gear for the trip

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just took mine on a 5200 mile trip this summer, loved it. The only problem was a quirky bower motor that is easily fixed. You'll like it, drive it and have fun!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Forum Regular

I hit 78k before putting it away for the winter. Every summer we have put tons of miles on the car. We have gone up and down the coasts of CA, cut through nowhere land to TX, Drove to AL and FL. The only problems I have ever had are after the car got smacked and it had to go to the body shop. Other than that, no problems at all, hell my cup holder still works... well... it pops up and goes down I do not know if I would say it actually holds anything.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wedge
Only 2 Crossfires in this family. I'm having a problem keeping up.
My son and I took my SRT on a 15 day road trip last summer, the car was awesome. No problems at all.
The one bummer is no spare tire so we put a full size in the trunk AND all our gear for the trip
No spare is a major concern for me also. Did you pack a 18 0r 19 inch tire?

Monty

Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular

Like it...no....LOVE IT YES! so much We went out to buy another for the wife, for she was driving mine. She keeps her 2008 with low milage ans I drive mine all the time. If you really love it change the oil on time, check the maintanence when called for, and drive it every where you want to hear good things about it. We have 2 roadsters and the only thing i can tell you about is a tire sensor button seems to have a mind of it's own. Other than that they both run great.

KJ

Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 PM

I spent months lurking and stalking on this forum before I bought my XF.

Like any forum, I was initially horrified at all the problems people had but all of the objective (relatively) metrics showed the car to have been very reliable historically. Since I bought mine almost six months ago, I've put 7K miles on it with NO problems.

The scary part is that feeling, for the first few months that you may have something that has deep seated issues but that fear will go away. Keep learning, and hanging out :-)

That aside, I'm not a mechanic nor am I mechanically sound. But I have been able to change the air filters (trust me, not like other cars), brake pads, side presence lights, and will soon reseal my valve cover breathers.

I can do anything with my XF and the group from the forum.

...and my iPad in the engine bay so I can reread and look at the same pictures 10x more than the average handy person.

R

PS- I hang out in the BMW Z4 forums, and while I've had mine for years I'm terrified of a whole lot of things based on forum accounts and experiences. Trust me, happy campers technically over here :-)