Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire Tires

Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire Tires

I'm new to the Crossfire and I'm looking at buying one (already found one) and I read online that the front and rear tires are different sizes. However, the size difference I found was very small. Is it possible to put the same size tires on the front and rear? Also, is it possible to buy cheaper ($100 or less per tire) all year tires for the Crossfire instead of seasonal performance tires?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crossfire Tires

The front wheels have 18" rims and the rear have 19" rims.

It's a sports car, it needs high performance tires :-) .

Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 PM

You could run a square set up if you changed rims although it will negatively impact the cars performance espicially if your going with a smaller cheap standard all season.if your wanting to save money just go for cheaper tires that fit the current set up. There are many threads on here reviewing some of the off name brands but they typically are cheaper for a reason

Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by bigjamesdean
You could run a square set up if you changed rims although it will negatively impact the cars performance espicially if your going with a smaller cheap standard all season.if your wanting to save money just go for cheaper tires that fit the current set up. There are many threads on here reviewing some of the off name brands but they typically are cheaper for a reason
Well I'm not really looking for high performance. I really like the Crossfire and I would use it as a daily commuter of about 10 miles total each day. I was just wondering if it would be cheaper when buying tires if I could buy a sqaure set even if it meant changing the rims. Do you know of any cheaper tires for the car with the current tire sizes?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipor3D
Well I'm not really looking for high performance. I really like the Crossfire and I would use it as a daily commuter of about 10 miles total each day. I was just wondering if it would be cheaper when buying tires if I could buy a sqaure set even if it meant changing the rims. Do you know of any cheaper tires for the car with the current tire sizes?
To put on a set of cheap tires and still look balanced you would need to buy a pair of front rims to match, or a new set of rims entirely. The new set of cheap rims to keep it cheap would probably make the car look ....cheap.

If you cannot afford the tires....buy a Honda. LOL

Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Vipor3D
read the tire review sticky several posted reviews of some less expensive options but if your looking to spend 400 on a set of four its either not gonna happen or they will be total junk. When I bought my Xfire it had some off name tires on the front, less than a 1000 miles on them and their was a bubble in the side wall of one and mukt soft spots on both and were pretty unsafe. If yiur lookibg for a cheap daily driver the xfire is probably a bad choice. I mean if the tire prices bother you wait till something breaks down...

Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

read the tire review sticky several posted reviews of some less expensive options but if your looking to spend 400 on a set of four its either not gonna happen or they will be total junk. When I bought my Xfire it had some off name tires on the front, less than a 1000 miles on them and their was a bubble in the side wall of one and mukt soft spots on both and were pretty unsafe. If yiur lookibg for a cheap daily driver the xfire is probably a bad choice. I mean if the tire prices bother you wait till something breaks down...
X2 to that ....

Cheap tires = $400
Good tires = $700

Is your LIFE not worth $300 ???????????

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
X2 to that ....

Cheap tires = $400
Good tires = $700

My good tires cost me just shy of 1200

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
AlG
Forum Regular

I wonder if this person knows that the car uses premium and why they're not complaining about that. I use my Crossfire as my dd, and it's not bad at all. Tires last me over 50,000 miles so even if they're more expensive they've only gotten replaced once in the 4 1/2 years I own the car. 74,000+ miles and counting.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter that you aren't buying the car for performance. The car was built as a performance car. It was built as a quality auto with quality parts. The wear items should be replaced with items that are as good as those that were original to the vehicle. Like has been said a Honda is in your future.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AlG
I wonder if this person knows that the car uses premium and why they're not complaining about that. I use my Crossfire as my dd, and it's not bad at all. Tires last me over 50,000 miles so even if they're more expensive they've only gotten replaced once in the 4 1/2 years I own the car. 74,000+ miles and counting.
+1. I mean if your looking to be thrifty a German sportscar is not a good option. Something Japanese would be the way to like a Miata

Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

My good tires cost me just shy of 1200
My Hankooks were $720 delivered, another $80 for mounting and balancing.
IMHO the Hankooks are good tires, not great tires ........

Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM

A reminder that a few of the members here that autocross go with 18's on the rear. More than once have I read Crossfire reviews where the car being 'over tired' was pointed out. Case in point, there are quite a few other sports cars that have similar, if not better performance specs with smaller tires.
Asthetics played a large role in sizing of the Crossfires tire/rim size.

As for 'performance tires', get what suits your needs. The all season Conti's that came on mine from the factory are hardly what I would call 'performance tires'. I would more correctly call them...'non performance tires', which is why they were the first things I changed on my car.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

X2 to that ....

Cheap tires = $400
Good tires = $700

What he said, get you a set of Kuhmo Ecsta 4X's for under $700or spend a bit more and get some Continental ExtremeContact DWS for around $800.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM

My Hankooks were $720 delivered, another $80 for mounting and balancing.
IMHO the Hankooks are good tires, not great tires ........
Thqt was also a out the door price with tax mounting tps rebuild road hazard guarentee....
I tried the new Nitto Motivo's but not happy with how they stick so returning them and going back to the continental extreme contact dws since I need a all season living here in Nashville.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM

Cheap tires on a Crossfire ...ooooooo! With the speed capabilities of this car, I'm just not sure I'd put cheap tires on it. The car is designed for high speed and is capable of doing a nice job of it. This car is a devil car and just simply hates to be passed. On the Interstate you can easily find yourself exceeding the posted speed limit without realizing it.

I'd sure rethink the position of putting anything less than what the car calls for in a speed rated tire. Having a tire failure at a dollar thirty-five would not be my idea of an afternoon of fun and frolicking about. Put the correct tires on the car, and if your worried about the cost … I may have some bad news for you … when other repairs are due.

There’s no free lunch with a Benz.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Well I appreciate everyone's opinion concerning the tires. I didn't mean for it to seem like the money for the tires was a huge deal for me, I was just curious if I could put regular tires on it and save a few bucks. But the way some of the replies have said other repairs are very expensive it makes me wonder...are Crossfires known for breaking down and needing a lot of expenisve repairs? I know the car is made by Mercedes and of course a repair on something will be more expensive, but if the cars are built well and don't need repair often, it's worth it to spend a little extra money for the quality car.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 PM

I know that your questions are not meant to be insulting but they could be taken that way. No, the car is not known for breaking down but if they do it gets expensive to deal with. If you are a do it yourself kind of guy then the most common problems can fixed in your garage. I've had mine for over 8 years and other than tires, a wonky sensor and fogged headlights were my biggest issues. If you put a set of cheesy cheapo tires on a Crossfire then most of us will not speak to you. If you stick with the stock rims it will be hard to find cheesy cheapo tires that fit.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 PM
red-in-la

Something else to consider... If you square the tires you could mess up your speedometer. If you decide to play that game here's a calculator to see how much off you'll be.

Tire size calculator

Also consider the suspension was designed to work with those wheel sizes.

Good luck

Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 PM

Do I understand from your question that you want to put 18'' tires on the rear?

Note that the rear wheels are larger than the front, so if you put 18'' rear wheel, would have to raise the profile of the tire so as not to alter the development.

Put hard tires I think not successful, the Crossfire is a car that easily insinuates the rear, would be dangerous to put hard tires.

All you can do serious question, although I imagine that the car's stability would be affected.

Quick Reply: Crossfire Tires