Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Alex's 2005 Limited Coupe Build Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Alex's 2005 Limited Coupe Build Thread

Looks good on the video but IRL I guess it would look good for a week. This is great for cars you just temporary want to recolor. I would go for a full repaint REAL color to get it done. In US paintjobs are extremely cheap so that would be my choice yet again. I was thinking of wrapping etc but saw what it will look like after a while and it is just not worth the money.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
Looks good on the video but IRL I guess it would look good for a week. This is great for cars you just temporary want to recolor. I would go for a full repaint REAL color to get it done. In US paintjobs are extremely cheap so that would be my choice yet again. I was thinking of wrapping etc but saw what it will look like after a while and it is just not worth the money.
We are seeing his pics now, when are we going to see your thread on repainting a Crossfire?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plasti dip holds up very well because its a liquid rubber that hardens but is still removable. So the harsh elements dont ruin it as easily as they can with paint. Ive had many rims plasti dipped for atleast 3 months and they still look like new. Its one of the most popular car customization products for a reason, because it works! I am going to probably plasti dip my black car white in the fall just to swich things up a bit and to protect the cars paint from the harsh NJ winter, thats if we have a winter. We were spoiled this year If I do do it in the fall, I'll definitely make a video for you guys

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by uknowhim21
Plasti dip holds up very well because its a liquid rubber that hardens but is still removable. So the harsh elements dont ruin it as easily as they can with paint. Ive had many rims plasti dipped for atleast 3 months and they still look like new. Its one of the most popular car customization products for a reason, because it works! I am going to probably plasti dip my black car white in the fall just to swich things up a bit and to protect the cars paint from the harsh NJ winter, thats if we have a winter. We were spoiled this year If I do do it in the fall, I'll definitely make a video for you guys
+1 the stuff (Plastidip) is an awesome and durable alternative to repainting BUT it IS NOT permanent. I have seen good jobs last over a year and touch-ps are a breeze. No need to mask at all! Very easily done stuff and great results.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by gunner1374
+1 the stuff (Plastidip) is an awesome and durable alternative to repainting BUT it IS NOT permanent. I have seen good jobs last over a year and touch-ps are a breeze. No need to mask at all! Very easily done stuff and great results.
I am hoping that it will last a lot longer and be more durable if i pull off each part and coat them individually. I ordered 2 gallons of white and one of black. Cant wait for it to come in!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AlexRMC92
I am hoping that it will last a lot longer and be more durable if i pull off each part and coat them individually. I ordered 2 gallons of white and one of black. Cant wait for it to come in!
Dont do that! Please for the love of god watch Fonzies videos on his youtube channel. DipYourCarcom's channel - YouTube

I dont want you wasting your money which you will do if you pull of each panel and coat them individually because it wont come out right and its not needed. Watch his videos and do what he does and you wont mess up. He has plasti dipped three cars on his youtube channel. The bmw, volkswagen, and his audi. WATCH THEM AND TAKE NOTES

Old 07-16-2012, 12:39 AM

Dont do that! Please for the love of god watch Fonzies videos on his youtube channel. DipYourCarcom's channel - YouTube

I dont want you wasting your money which you will do if you pull of each panel and coat them individually because it wont come out right and its not needed. Watch his videos and do what he does and you wont mess up. He has plasti dipped three cars on his youtube channel. The bmw, volkswagen, and his audi. WATCH THEM AND TAKE NOTES
I've seen all of his videos and i find his method a little cheap. Applying this is no different than painting and there is a reason why they paint car parts individually. It ensures that the part is completely coated. I don't see how it will come out any different, plastidip self levels and applies just like paint.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 AM

I've seen all of his videos and i find his method a little cheap. Applying this is no different than painting and there is a reason why they paint car parts individually. It ensures that the part is completely coated. I don't see how it will come out any different, plastidip self levels and applies just like paint.
Its hard for me to hear you say that his method is cheap when he alone has built the plasti dip popularity from the ground up with his videos. But thats fine, take a week or longer to take all the parts off and paint it when you can get the same result from doing the whole car at once. I hope the edges dont come up when you try to put the pieces back on...Good luck

Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 AM

To each his own, but I, personally, after using the stuff, do not see any positives in pulling the panels off. It will take much longer anfd I don't see any benefits to be had by doing it. Good luck with your project though. I am confident that it will turn out great whether it takes a day or a week.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

... I hope the edges dont come up when you try to put the pieces back on...

^^^^^ DING DING DING!!!!

We have a winner!!! This is probably the main reason you dont do it like that. If your really that concerned, get newspaper and tape off your car (which is still completely stupid). In all honesty if I did the whole car, I would just paint THE ENTIRE THING, windows and all... fully.... all the way.... then peel off what I dont like or need... That would seriously be the best way.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My ? is how long dose this stuff last before you got to redo it, seem to be a very short lived kind of thing , I will give it this , it is kind neat , i my do my rims black just to see how they look ,

Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
My ? is how long dose this stuff last before you got to redo it, seem to be a very short lived kind of thing , I will give it this , it is kind neat , i my do my rims black just to see how they look ,
It can last for around a year before it starts to look worn from what dipyourcar has said. My wheels still look like new 3 or 4 months later. If you get a rip in it, dipyourcar now has this thinner which will able you to repair the rip and respray that one section. That way you dont have to peel the whole wheel off, or whatever you dipped, to then repaint. So in that case, I dont see why the plasti dip cant last for more then a year.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
In US paintjobs are extremely cheap so that would be my choice yet again.
Where are you getting your info? A factory quality paint job with a color change including time and labor on a XF would cost at least 7-10K if you do it right, pull apart everything, remove engine, etc.

Its one of the most popular car customization products for a reason, because it works!
I am not trying to knock you or the plastidip too bad, because there are many times when it serves its purpose well, but for painting an entire car? It is a cheap way to drastically change something, not always in a good way, and that is why it is popular.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Where are you getting your info? A factory quality paint job with a color change including time and labor on a XF would cost at least 7-10K if you do it right, pull apart everything, remove engine, etc.

I am not trying to knock you or the plastidip too bad, because there are many times when it serves its purpose well, but for painting an entire car? It is a cheap way to drastically change something, not always in a good way, and that is why it is popular.

Hi,

7-10k is cheap compared to Sweden. Double amount here at least.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
We are seeing his pics now, when are we going to see your thread on repainting a Crossfire?
Whenever you come to Sweden, I'll invite you over for a couple of beers, some swedish honeys and i'll show you photos and hey, even let you drive the car.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Yah I agree I'm not denying that. Point well made.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM

I agree also.... Thats why I stuck to little things, the rims were more of an experiment..

Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Ok well this thread is starting to go to hell... Anyways here is my logic to my plans. I want to change colors to something unique, something that doesn't come stock on cars. Also i don't want to devalue / ruin my car, so it has to be removable. Vinyl and plastidip can do this, but after messing with vinyl i decided to go for plastidip. Vinyl looks damn good, but the small bubbles here and there drive me nuts.

Plastidip is popular because it's cheap and temporary. It was never made for cars, it was made for tools. In order to ensure it stays on as long as possible there are some things i feel i need to do.

1. Plastidip does not contain and adhesive, so it only adheres to your car by conforming it its exact shape. By peeling the excess off of your healights, windows, etc... you are already beginning the process of it peeling off on it's own.

2. If and when i decide to remove the plastidip i want no traces of it left. Although it is easy to remove over spray from body parts with a towel, what about a radiator? or inside you're engine bay? A piece of cardboard taped behind my grill cant guarantee that no over spray will get back there. Also the gap between fender and hood will let over spray in the engine bay, as well as other locations.

3. By pulling each body panel off i can more effectively coat the inside edges that i will not be able to coat with the panels off. This keeps the edges from being completely exposed to the elements and ensures a longer lasting coat.

I'm not downing on Fonzie's methods, but he is not the first person to do this. He commercialized it and presented a quick way to color your car to the general public. Most people don't have the knowledge to, or don't want to, take the body panels off of their car. He shows that it can be done that way, but i can guarantee that it does not last as long and if over spray bothers you as much as me then your going to have a rough time getting it all off.

Agree with me or disagree with me, it doesn't really matter in the long run. These are just my views on the subject. I don't mind taking the extra time to do it this way and make sure it looks perfect.

And yes i do have OCD about my cars...

Last edited by AlexRMC92; 07-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint Your Car With a Roller for Under $100

LOL

Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 AM

1. Plastidip does not contain and adhesive, so it only adheres to your car by conforming it its exact shape. By peeling the excess off of your healights, windows, etc... you are already beginning the process of it peeling off on it's own....

I dont want to quote your whole message...But its irritating someone asking for opinions and when you give them a fact, they irrationalize it..You are reading too much into this... Especially when they obviously have not used the product in question. I am done with this thread, if you want advice from someone who has used this the correct way with no problems, then PM me..

Quick Reply: Alex's 2005 Limited Coupe Build Thread