Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Squirrel! Wiring harness destroyed.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Squirrel! Wiring harness destroyed.

I left my car parked at work for a few days and look what the friendly little furry creatures decided to do to my poor baby. They've chewed through most of the wiring near the firewall on the driver's side.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement harness? Anyone have scavenge parts for sale?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Squirrel! Wiring harness destroyed.

I wonder if insurance covers THIS? SOB's!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM

I called State Farm on the way home and initiated a claim. I should hear back tomorrow if they will cover it.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 489 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by uberxfire2

I left my car parked at work for a few days and look what the friendly little furry creatures decided to do to my poor baby. They've chewed through most of the wiring near the firewall on the driver's side.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement harness? Anyone have scavenge parts for sale?
MrMoPar can save the day.......... Welcome to the Crossfire Shop

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM

link to photos:
CrossfireForum.org - uberxfire2's Album: Squirrels

Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that's not good. Good luck with the repairs!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be a fairly inexpensive repair at a hometown mechanic (under $350). If you go with a new harness with dealer install, my guess is $1,500+.

Last edited by grip grip; 02-28-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Squirrel! Wiring harness destroyed.

Your lucky you did not get a fire, remove the battery if it is still connected, please. Wdy

Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Forum Regular

I just trapped a red squirrel in my mud room this morning. One down, and 3,567,345 to go. And that's just in my town!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM

One of our members can assist your issue. Squirrelcrusher has been running a small business out of his house that may suit your needs. Give him a pm and see if he is interested. Wdy

He offers 3% for leads, whoopie.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If you wait until later this weekend or early next week I will have a harness without PCM connectors for you. All you would need to do is re-pin your connectors to this harness by color that you already had plugged in. Super easy. Send me a PM, Ill let it go for 10 bucks if you pay shipping.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Well, this brings back old unpleasant memories. Not my C/F but another car I had parked outside my home near a wooded area behind my house. To make this short, this went on for months. Repairing and trying everthing to keep them from coming back. I trapped 25 of them, took them 10 miles away and turned them loose. Still more backups came in. I finally hit on a thought, What would deter them most? I took a old sock filled it with foam rubber tied it under the hood and poured "FOX URINE" over it, Yeah you read correctly, fox urine.
That is one character they don't want to mess with. Never had a problem since. You can buy "FOX URINE" at ****'s sporting goods or Walmart sporting goods. Don't laugh it works. I had to do something.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Good News! State Farm comprehensive covers rodent damage. And I have a $0 deductible. And I have rental car coverage. And Brumos Porsche/BMW/Mercedes is an authorized repair center! So my baby got flat-bedded today and dropped at the dealer's collision center. I have a nice rental for as long as the repair takes, and when they're done, they'll deliver it back to my house... all at no cost!

Moral of the story... even if you can't save 15% in 15 minutes, paying for quality insurance with the extra coverage makes a terrible situation so much easier to deal with.

Thank you all for your thoughts and offers to help me get a hard to replace component at a good cost. I do appreciate it.

I am searching for a replacement hood ornament. About 2 years ago mine disappeared and I've never been able to find a replacement without having to buy the entire grill. If someone has one for sale (or can refer me to a seller) please pm me.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warren Smith
Well, this brings back old unpleasant memories. Not my C/F but another car I had parked outside my home near a wooded area behind my house. To make this short, this went on for months. Repairing and trying everthing to keep them from coming back. I trapped 25 of them, took them 10 miles away and turned them loose. Still more backups came in. I finally hit on a thought, What would deter them most? I took a old sock filled it with foam rubber tied it under the hood and poured "FOX URINE" over it, Yeah you read correctly, fox urine.
That is one character they don't want to mess with. Never had a problem since. You can buy "FOX URINE" at ****'s sporting goods or Walmart sporting goods. Don't laugh it works. I had to do something.
Trap and release? You should have just killed them. They are tree rats!

I had an issue with them in my attic. I went on a pellet gun shooting spree. Shot and killed about 9 of them. No more squirrel problem.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by uberxfire2
Good News! State Farm comprehensive covers rodent damage. And I have a $0 deductible. And I have rental car coverage. And Brumos Porsche/BMW/Mercedes is an authorized repair center! So my baby got flat-bedded today and dropped at the dealer's collision center. I have a nice rental for as long as the repair takes, and when they're done, they'll deliver it back to my house... all at no cost!

Moral of the story... even if you can't save 15% in 15 minutes, paying for quality insurance with the extra coverage makes a terrible situation so much easier to deal with.

Thank you all for your thoughts and offers to help me get a hard to replace component at a good cost. I do appreciate it.

I am searching for a replacement hood ornament. About 2 years ago mine disappeared and I've never been able to find a replacement without having to buy the entire grill. If someone has one for sale (or can refer me to a seller) please pm me.
How do you have a $0 deductible? Sounds expensive.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 AM

You might want to show the wear on the differential while your at it. Rodent damage in the rear means that you will have to get a wavetrac installed. Could be a large infestation to deal with. Woody

WEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDW EEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWE EKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKENDWEEKEND
WEEKEND

Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
One of our members can assist your issue. Squirrelcrusher has been running a small business out of his house that may suit your needs. Give him a pm and see if he is interested. Wdy

He offers 3% for leads, whoopie.
Thanks for helping out Waldig. Just put 6 new A/T tires on the Squirrel Crushing 4X4 Dulley. Been riding the neighborhoods checking for active squirrel crossings. Squirrel Crusher

Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
Thanks for helping out Waldig. Just put 6 new A/T tires on the Squirrel Crushing 4X4 Dulley. Been riding the neighborhoods checking for active squirrel crossings. Squirrel Crusher
Don, I understand you're pretty talented with the SRT too. Didn't you crush one at the Dragon last Fall?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Don, I understand you're pretty talented with the SRT too. Didn't you crush one at the Dragon last Fall?
Yep! That was me. Gotta live up to my name. Squirrels sometime make it running across the road. The unfortunate daring ones giggle then try to run back across from the side they just came from. Causing a brief Thump-Thump sound coming from the front and rear tires. Squirrel Crusher

Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info !! Glad I have State Farm too !!! With zero deductable on comp also !!!!

Quick Reply: Squirrel! Wiring harness destroyed.