Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I'm a dummy! Newbie mistake with in the 1st 5 minutes of ownership.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a dummy! Newbie mistake with in the 1st 5 minutes of ownership.

Delivered to me is a new to me 2005 xf limited coupe. 32000 miles on her and in impeccable shape. Not a knick scratch dent or stain anywhere on the car. So, im sitting in the drive looking at all the wonderful gadgets. Im pushing all the buttons to make sure everything is in working order. Guess what button i pushed that didnt work? (insert sarcasm now) The airbag button on the middle of the dash between to the ash tray and lighter! It didnt light up so to try and turn on or off or i push it again. nothing.....(im sure you are all laughing by now) I didnt feel a click or anything so i push a little harder....pushing it into the dash and it fell behind the surface plate!
Now after reading my manual i see its just a light and not a button. Let the poking fun commence!

Anyhow......anyone know how to remove the plate safely so i can put it back in its home?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Im a dummy! Newbie mistake with in the 1st 5 minutes of ownership.

Originally Posted by B1gfun
Delivered to me is a new to me 2005 xf limited coupe. 32000 miles on her and in impeccable shape. Not a knick scratch dent or stain anywhere on the car. So, im sitting in the drive looking at all the wonderful gadgets. Im pushing all the buttons to make sure everything is in working order. Guess what button i pushed that didnt work? (insert sarcasm now) The airbag button on the middle of the dash between to the ash tray and lighter! It didnt light up so to try and turn on or off or i push it again. nothing.....(im sure you are all laughing by now) I didnt feel a click or anything so i push a little harder....pushing it into the dash and it fell behind the surface plate!
Now after reading my manual i see its just a light and not a button. Let the poking fun commence!

Anyhow......anyone know how to remove the plate safely so i can put it back in its home?
We will not poke fun, you have done enough poking for one day.
Welcome to the forum.
Go to this thread (click) and you will find the Service manuals, download the 2005 manual. The 2004 manual is easier to read as the index is better, so you could download that one.
There are a lot of manuals etc there, download what you want.
Click here and go to a thread with a lot of collected repair and problem solutions etc.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The front plate comes off after removing the middle vent, radio and then 6 screws hidden uneder those if I remember correctly don't pry too hard it should come off fairly easily. Now looking for the "button" for the air bag will still be fun as you will need to work through the radio hole or if not found then remove the side panels which are a pain as the glove box needs to be moved out of the way. The easiest thing to do would be to try and get to it through the radio mount hole without removing the face if you can manage it. Also the driver side panel for the center console is easier to remove than the pass side. Good luck either way and if you need some pictures of the console removed let me know through a pm and I will get them for you.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Well it just so happens that I had that whole center stack apart this past weekend. Easy instructions are:

Remove the radio which requires a pair of Mercedes radio unlocking keys - I bought them here
Audi TT A3 A4 A6 A8 TT Radio Stereo Release Keys Tools | eBay

When the radio is removed it exposes two screws that are holding that trim panel in place. Remove those two screws and pull / pop that trim panel off. Once you have that panel removed you should be able to access the area below to snap that air bag light back in place.

Last edited by RED DOG; 01-15-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: I'm a dummy! Newbie mistake with in the 1st 5 minutes of ownership.

OK, the light didn't come on, so I will push a little harder....tough button, so I will push a little harder.... Just maybe that wasn't a button....oooops.... And I thought finding more HP was hard. I just need to push harder.... HOPE you fix it man..... welcome aboard....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 01-15-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I accidentally did that to mine. I was able to remove the shifter plate from the console and reach up in there and poke the switch back into its hole. My fingers are fairly long so your mileage may vary.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help all!! I was able to get it put back in with some real fun contortion. My hand cramped up pretty good, but after several attempts it went in and is all buttoned back up. While I was in there I fixed the ash tray. It wouldn't pop out so i figured while I'm in I might as well fix that too. works great now~! Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for all the help all!! I was able to get it put back in with some real fun contortion. My hand cramped up pretty good, but after several attempts it went in and is all buttoned back up. While I was in there I fixed the ash tray. It wouldn't pop out so i figured while I'm in I might as well fix that too. works great now~! Thanks again!
Happy to hear you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know. I hate it when multiple forum members respond to a cry for assistance and then we never hear from the original poster again to learn if their problem was resolved!