Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Acceleration problem

Old 01-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration problem

Last night I was driving around and when I went to take off from a red light, nothing happened. The motor was still running and I as stepping on the gas, but it remained at an idle and the car just barely crept forward like I didn't have my foot on the gas. This is the first time that it had ever done that. I got to my friends house, shut the car off, and then left a little later and it seemed fine. It was like it had a delayed reaction between me stepping on the gas and the computer actually telling the car to go.... Has anyone else ever heard of this before???

Old 01-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Default Re: Acceleration problem

Originally Posted by Locque
Last night I was driving around and when I went to take off from a red light, nothing happened. The motor was still running and I as stepping on the gas, but it remained at an idle and the car just barely crept forward like I didn't have my foot on the gas. This is the first time that it had ever done that. I got to my friends house, shut the car off, and then left a little later and it seemed fine. It was like it had a delayed reaction between me stepping on the gas and the computer actually telling the car to go.... Has anyone else ever heard of this before???

I'm guessing you have an automatic transmission?

Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Yeah....I suppose I should have mentioned it, but yeah. It's Automatic. I just got it back not to long ago after they re-flashed the computer to fix the mis-fire problem...I wondering if I have a lemon

Old 01-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Locque
Yeah....I suppose I should have mentioned it, but yeah. It's Automatic. I just got it back not to long ago after they re-flashed the computer to fix the mis-fire problem...I wondering if I have a lemon
Wanna trade cars then? LOL

Old 01-14-2005, 06:15 PM

HAHA...I love my car... I still don't know what the problem is and I figured I would check with the online community before I actually go crying to the dealership. It was wierd because it wasn't like the tranny was slipping or anything, the motor simply didn't even rev up. It was like my gas pedal wasn't even connected. But like I said, as soon as I shut the car down and then restarted it, all was well....

Old 01-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Yes I have had the same problem, I thought I had water in my gas. Step on the gas and it doesn't want to go. Put dry gas in the tank and it didn't correct the problem.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Acceleration problem

Had a similiar problem with my DChrysler Sebring JXi Convertible....turned out to be the throttle cable. Cannot say if this is the same problem you are having, but just a thought.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 PM

I'll keep that in mind, but the thing is that as soon as I shut the car down and then restarted it, it seemed to be fine... Was it intermittent on the Sebring also?

Just for the record, this has only occurred once, but traffic was backing up behind me because I couldn't go!!!

Old 01-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the electric throttle control ,when you turn the key on it resets itself i think everytime ! tell your dealer !

Old 01-15-2005, 12:41 PM

If I'm not mistaken...the XFire is "drive by wire" regarding throttle controls...there is no cable, just a signal sent through a sensor and/or computer. I would imagine that you have an electronic snafu. You might need to have it re-flashed, but only a dealer can determine for sure. The computer should have stored the information when it malfunctioned. I doubt that gasoline or transmission has anything to do with this.

Hope this helps...

Fritz

Old 01-15-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldfritz
If I'm not mistaken...the XFire is "drive by wire" regarding throttle controls...there is no cable, just a signal sent through a sensor and/or computer.
Fritz

I think you are right Fritz. I have often wondered about what would happen if a throttle sensor went beserk. I think we have a mild dose of things to come.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

The speed chip went on my Voyager and the engine would just cut out intermittently. After a few minutes it would restart....until the next time. My local dealer identified the fault as soon as I took the car in. The likelihood of a speed chip failing is very small (like the chance the chip in your PC will fail), but I guess some do.

The man from the RAC thought it was the chip in the key fob not being recognised, which could be another reason.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:04 PM

It's the TCM- Transmission Control Module. Take it to the dealership and have them scan it and I'll be willing to put money on it that that's the problem. The first Xfire I had, had this problem and I went back to the dealership and demanded another car. And I got one and even from another dealership too.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:50 PM

REALLY?!?! You went so far as to demand another car? Yikes! My dealership has been very good to me so I would hate to get demanding all of a sudden, but trust me, the thought had occurred to me. So far I have had it in the shop on like 3 or 4 different occasions: Squeaky spoiler, vibration between 30-40, radio display, and misfire...

I was going to read up on the Lemon Laws we have in California to see what the statute of limitations are....

Old 01-19-2005, 02:54 PM

U sure its not the Transmission?

Old 01-19-2005, 03:09 PM

I'm positive because the engine didn't rev up or anything. The tach stayed at the 500 rpm idle speed

Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Did you ever take the car back to the dealer for this problem? If they ran a scan on it they should have found an error code, even if the problem occurred only once.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Smile Re: Acceleration problem

i agree with alvin and the rest .take the car to the dealer, the time this happened to my car it was the mass-air senser probe, and they had to replace it , in one of my european car magazines i read this problem is very common in german throttle bodies, and volkswagen has replaced quite a few of them. please take it to the dealer. besides you get a free rental every time you take your car to the dealer.........

Old 01-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Well...I just took my car in today and HOPEFULLY I'll get it back tomorrow. I'm getting pretty tired of taking it in. Is there something wrong with being on a first name basis with the service manager??? It seems like I take it in about every 3 weeks. It's not like I'm just being picky either...every time there is something legitamately wrong that has to be corrected. It's always one thing after another... I'll keep you all updated on what they found or didn't find....

Old 01-23-2005, 02:58 AM

Ok...so here is what they said... The pedal position sensor had a code stored in it about low voltage. BUT they have no idea why this could have happened and they went through the entire throttle system and found nothing else to be wrong... They cleared the code and basically said "sorry, we don't know what happened..." One more chance and they are going to have this car back...

Quick Reply: Acceleration problem